Why One Should Never Talk to the Police

that’s like 50 minutes total… too long.

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
that’s like 50 minutes total… too long.[/quote]

LMAO! Then talk to the cops, chances are it will take you longer than 50 minutes.

The take home point

“Make no statement to the police under any circumstances.”
-Justice Robert Jackson

To many in inner city neighborhoods, this is common knowledge and has been for decades.

“Stop snitchin’” didn’t pop up for no reason.

That was interesting and worth watching.

And they don’t mind fibbing under oath if they think it will help win a case.

I had a case for disorderly conduct a few months ago for saying “fuck you” to a cop while he was directing traffic.

To hear the officers version, you would think that I was screaming at the top of my lungs and acting in perfect accordance with the legal definition of disorderly conduct. It was like he read the definition and changed the event to fit it.

Funny part is that I can’t raise my voice above a moderate speaking level without excruciating pain. That coupled with citing Commonwealth of PA vs. Hock got it thrown out on appeal, charge withdrawn.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
“Make no statement to the police under any circumstances.”
-Justice Robert Jackson

That was interesting and worth watching.[/quote]

Absolutely. The police are highly skilled at uncovering crimes and closing cases and they know exactly what they need to do in order to gain a conviction.

I was initially shocked to see what Justice Robert Jackson had to say about it but the video does a great job of explaining why you should keep your mouth shut.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
I had a case for disorderly conduct a few months ago for saying “fuck you” to a cop while he was directing traffic.[/quote]

I don’t feel sorry for you at all when you said “fuck you” to a cop.

[quote]Eielson wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:
I had a case for disorderly conduct a few months ago for saying “fuck you” to a cop while he was directing traffic.

I don’t feel sorry for you at all when you said “fuck you” to a cop.[/quote]

Not sure what it’s like in the US but in Ontario the cops get time and a half for going to court. Even if a “fu(k you” disorderly conduct case gets thrown out, the cop makes more money by charging someone for the offence than for letting someone get away with being rude.

The less you have to do with the police the better.

A very long but good watch of a lecture from a law school professor, but to sum it up.

Make no statement to the police under any circumstances.
by Former Justice Robert Jackson

Under Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, any thing you say,can and will be used against you… but anything you say to an officer CAN NOT be used for your defense, it is heresay and not admissible in a court of law.

Nobody has ever got out of a serious arrest by telling their story to the arresting officer.

Many officers write their reports in way that may twist what you said to look like an admission of guilt. What happens if the officer has a heart attack and dies before court and can’t testify? The report stands as is.

Remember, you can beat the rap but not the ride.

There are some great examples at 20:00 to 23:00 on the first video.

Even if you are innocent and only tell the truth on a videotaped statement, your answers can be used to crucify you if the police have ANY evidence, even mistaken or unreliable evidence that makes any part of your statement false even if it is true.

Just ask Martha Stewart, Marion Jones or Michael Vick who all denied their guilt and later pled guilty were given harder sentences for lying tothe police.

Next was Officer George Bruch of the Virginia Beach Policec Department.

He started off by saying that everything the professor said is correct.

He has interviewed thousands of suspects.

People just want to tell their story to get off. Doesn’t work.

His job is to develop probable cause, develop a great case to deliver to the commonwealth attorney to prosecute with little effort. PERIOD.

Watch 6:18 to see an example. He’s interviewed thousands and is a professional who knows how to ask questions. Are you? No.

Do not lie to cops, just shut up.

There is no such thing as “off the record”. 12:03 of the second video.

Lastly, just STFU.

[quote]duece wrote:

A very long but good watch of a lecture from a law school professor, but to sum it up.

Make no statement to the police under any circumstances.
by Former Justice Robert Jackson

Under Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, any thing you say,can and will be used against you… but anything you say to an officer CAN NOT be used for your defense, it is heresay and not admissible in a court of law.

Nobody has ever got out of a serious arrest by telling their story to the arresting officer.

Many officers write their reports in way that may twist what you said to look like an admission of guilt. What happens if the officer has a heart attack and dies before court and can’t testify? The report stands as is.

Remember, you can beat the rap but not the ride.

There are some great examples at 20:00 to 23:00 on the first video.

Even if you are innocent and only tell the truth on a videotaped statement, your answers can be used to crucify you if the police have ANY evidence, even mistaken or unreliable evidence that makes any part of your statement false even if it is true.

Just ask Martha Stewart, Marion Jones or Michael Vick who all denied their guilt and later pled guilty were given harder sentences for lying tothe police.

Next was Officer George Bruch of the Virginia Beach Policec Department.

He started off by saying that everything the professor said is correct.

He has interviewed thousands of suspects.

People just want to tell their story to get off. Doesn’t work.

His job is to develop probable cause, develop a great case to deliver to the commonwealth attorney to prosecute with little effort. PERIOD.

Watch 6:18 to see an example. He’s interviewed thousands and is a professional who knows how to ask questions. Are you? No.

Do not lie to cops, just shut up.

There is no such thing as “off the record”. 12:03 of the second video.

Lastly, just STFU.

[/quote]

They should have also added, “don’t write or sign anything”.

[quote]905Patrick wrote:
The police are highly skilled at uncovering crimes and closing cases and they know exactly what they need to do in order to gain a conviction.
[/quote]

More like they know what to do to elicit false confessions. To top it off, police officers are worse at detecting lies than undergraduate psychology students. The problem is they think they are awesome at it.

Long, but interesting.

Time well spent.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
duece wrote:

“Under Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, any thing you say,can and will be used against you… but anything you say to an officer CAN NOT be used for your defense, it is heresay and not admissible in a court of law.”

That may be so but that will NOT keep a prosecuting attorney from listening to an arresting officer and deciding to proceed with prosecution which obviously can still be a major pain in the ass.

Many prosecuting attorneys have no interest whatsoever in truth or the lack thereof but are infinitely interested in winning cases at whatever expense even if that expense is the truth.[/quote]

I agree, but why give them more ammo or anything that could help them to prosecute you more effectively? His point was that it could hurt your case but can’t help it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Only works in countries where a judge can can’t order you to speak. Here in Australia you are legally required to talk. So the answer becomes “I have no comment.” or “I have no comment until i receive legal assistance”.

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
905Patrick wrote:
The police are highly skilled at uncovering crimes and closing cases and they know exactly what they need to do in order to gain a conviction.

More like they know what to do to elicit false confessions. To top it off, police officers are worse at detecting lies than undergraduate psychology students. The problem is they think they are awesome at it.[/quote]

I don’t think this is the case, I’m pretty sure they just assume everyone is full of shit. :wink:

Hey, here is a thought for you:

WHY DON’T YOU QUIT BREAKING THE LAW??

Then you won’t have to worry about being arrested, prosecuted or convicted.

Or am I applying logic where there is none?

[quote]BlueOne wrote:
Hey, here is a thought for you:

WHY DON’T YOU QUIT BREAKING THE LAW??

Then you won’t have to worry about being arrested, prosecuted or convicted.

Or am I applying logic where there is none?[/quote]

I would follow the “keep your mouth shut” advice if I had to act in self-defense. The cops are there to find bad guys and put them in jail. Your mouth is one of the primary ways in which the cops determine whether you ought to go to jail. Moreover, even if the cops happen to believe your side of the story in a situation, the DA may not.