Why Olympic Squat?

[quote]bretc wrote:
Krollmonster wrote:
bretc wrote:
Louie Simmons said something to the effect that a powerlifter who can squat 1000 pounds could easily full squat 800 pounds, but an Olympic lifter who can full squat 800 pounds could not powerlifting style squat 1000 pounds.

I don’t think I have seen any videos of elite powerlifters doing any atg squats, can you share any?

Correct me if I am wrong, but do any powerlifters do deep squats in training? I don’t understand why they would want to train strength in a position that does not add to their total. Especially, when the purpose is to use the best leverage and positioning to minimize the distance the bar has to move so they can lift a $hitload of weight.

An olympic lifter isn’t interested in doing a powerlifting squat to help his clean and jerk, so it doesn’t really matter what he can squat in that position. Remember it takes a different type of technique to drive out of the hole of a deep squat after catching a clean. I would prefer to reinforce that skill.

I’ll give you my opinion. I will state that I have never competed as or trained an Olympic lifter. I am not anywhere near an authority on Olympic lifting.

However, I have watched many videos and read many articles about Olympic weightlifting and know that most Oly lifters’ routines are centered around full squats, front squats, and clean, snatch and jerk variations. Then they throw in things like explosive good mornings, barbell lunges, etc.

But just because most oly lifters train the same way, it doesn’t mean that there isn’t a better way.

Many Oly lifters over the years have been very creative in their training. For example one Oly lifter made the glute ham raise popular (he used a pommel horse), which is not specific to the Oly lifts but it will strengthen the hamstrings sufficiently.

One lifter on the Elite Fitness website by the name of Travis Mash is an accomplished powerlifter and he has been dabbling in Olympic lifting. I believe he wants to qualify for the next Olympics.

He uses bands, chains and reverse hypers in his training. He is using many unconventional methods because he was schooled by Louie Simmons and trained as a Westsider.

I believe that powerlifters are more open-minded than oly lifters in their training. Most powerlifters perform full squats at various stages throughout the year for several reasons.

1. To increase the difficulty of the exercise by making the leverages disadvantageous

2. To increase the strength of their quadriceps

3. To incorporate variety into their training and

4. To give their hips a break from wide stance squatting.

Perhaps performing box squats and powerlifting style squats occasionally would benefit an olympic lifter. Variations of lifts feed off of each other. For example, sumo deads help increase your conventional deadlift and safety bar squats help increase your regular squat.

I’m not saying that olympic lifters must perform box squats and/or powerlifting style squats. I just know that Louie Simmons believes so and he is a very smart man and that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Specificity is a great thing but so is variety. [/quote]

I will say from experience in O-lifting that being “strong” doesn’t neccessarily make you a better O-lifter. As mentioned by cactrotman, the lifts that they care about are snatch and clean-and-jerk. There is so much technique involved here. There are some O-lifters that squat way more than other guys, but they still can’t snatch or clean and jerk as much as some guys with lower squat weights. Another aspect of squatting that is of a hinderance to O-lifters is the fact that too much squatting, especially during competitive phases, stiffens up the hip complex. This, although making one stronger in squatting, causes a lack of speed and flexibility during the competitive lifts themselves. That is partly the reason why i believe most coaches program their athlete’s squatting volume to be kept low and around an intensity of 15-20% over their snatch and clean and jerk percentages.

I’ve also seen a video on youtube of powerlifters doing band power snatches, and i personally think that is not “creative”, it’s down right dangerous. Bands are great tools for working on sticking points and teaching acceleration, however for a lift like a snatch or clean-and-jerk, it changes the natural rhythm and intertia of the bar. This can groove bad motor patterns and ultimately end up causing a condition known as “dislocated shoulder” and/or “taking a bar to the face”

PHGN,

I just stared at your avatar for 20 minutes. I forgot where I was, who I was, and what I was doing. That thing is dangerous.

bretc it’ll be good if and when see see Louie Simmons lifters compete nationally.

For me the proof is in the pudding. If the coach uses unconvetionally method trying to break the standard mould and gets a few/ bunch of lifters on to the National stages FAIR PLAY to the guy.

SOMEONE has to do something different or training would be the same for ever.

But if the coach can’t get lifters to the National level over time then he is doing something wrong imo. Or his lifters just aren’t up to it.

Koing

[quote]ninearms wrote:
Here’s a great old video of some Polish lifters doing some interesting stuff in addition to the classic lifts. The last minute is pretty priceless.

- YouTube [/quote]

THAT IS A FANTASTIC video! Cheers for that!

Koing

Charlie Reid and Koing:

Good posts. I hope I didn’t go Louie Simmons an injustice by bastardizing his concepts. He specializes in training others in maximal strength and powerlifting, not Olympic lifting.

I agree that it is probably the snatch and clean portion of the lift that limits most weightlifters’ lifts, and that squatting too much could hinder performance if the hips are tight and sore.

Just sometimes I think that there’s no such thing as too much strength. For example, if an Olympic lifter could squat 1,300 pounds, I can’t see that hurting his performance on the olympic lifts. However, I agree that most attention should be paid toward technique and power on the clean and snatch.

Great posts!

[quote]bretc wrote:
Charlie Reid and Koing:

Good posts. I hope I didn’t go Louie Simmons an injustice by bastardizing his concepts. He specializes in training others in maximal strength and powerlifting, not Olympic lifting.

I agree that it is probably the snatch and clean portion of the lift that limits most weightlifters’ lifts, and that squatting too much could hinder performance if the hips are tight and sore.

Just sometimes I think that there’s no such thing as too much strength. For example, if an Olympic lifter could squat 1,300 pounds, I can’t see that hurting his performance on the olympic lifts. However, I agree that most attention should be paid toward technique and power on the clean and snatch.

Great posts![/quote]

We must remember that absolute strength and speed-strength aren’t linear. Although the lack of absolute strength will limit the progress of a beginning Olympic Lifter (or any speed athlete for that matter), once a certain level of absolute strength is reached, we are effected by the law of diminishing returns.

There is a well documented example of this that I’m trying to did up. It maybe in Supertraining, Secrets of Soviet Athletes, or Science and Practice of Weight Training.

Anyway, the example documents the progress of discus throwers, and shows how in the beginning increasing absolute strength has a large impact on throwing distance, but after a certain point there is little benefit to be gained. Charlie Francis wrote something similar regarding sprinters.

As far as Louie Simmons, the guy is brilliant, and if he really wanted his guys to compete in OL on the national level he’d come up with the appropriate template to do so. BTW didn’t he develop the Westside template by studying European OL traning systems?

[quote]bretc wrote:

Great posts![/quote]

There is no doubt that a stronger athlete has the potential to be putting up more in snatch and CJ, however this is only one attribute, or variable, in the equation of making a good O-lifter. Strength, for a lot of guys, makes it easier for them to cheat, especially when first learning the lifts.

And regarding louie simmons, i definitely think that speed pulling, power snatching, cleans, and band work with squatting and pulling is great, however using bands on snatches and CJs is just a recipe for disaster.

Alignment, timing, coordination, etc. all play a role in efficiency of movement. This is part of the reason why i think a lot of women tend to pick up the technique a little easier than guys sometimes, due to their increased flexibility and lack of upper body strength.

Because they have a lack of upper body strength in comparison to their male counterparts, they are forced to use the hips and legs with little attempt at trying to muscle and/or “reverse curl” the weight upwards.

[quote]bretc wrote:
PHGN wrote:
bretc wrote:
This would benefit those Olympic lifters whose posterior chains are holding them back.

Wouldn’t they be better off doing more cleans, snatches, high pulls, power variations as these moves work the p-chain tremendously well ?

Yes, and I’m sure they do, but that isn’t to say that box squats wouldn’t benefit them as well. Louie Simmons said something to the effect that a powerlifter who can squat 1000 pounds could easily full squat 800 pounds, but an Olympic lifter who can full squat 800 pounds could not powerlifting style squat 1000 pounds.

[/quote]

…sure, but could a powerlifter that squats 1000pounds snatch 150kg or clean and jerk 200+kg??? chances are no. olympic lifting is its own sport…we train differently.

If I remember correctly they only use bands for squats, clean and snatch PULLS (not full or power variations).

and also Chains for the overhead squat.

I’m pretty sure louie simmons doesn’t advocate doing the full lifts with a band attached (is that even possible?)

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
If I remember correctly they only use bands for squats, clean and snatch PULLS (not full or power variations).

and also Chains for the overhead squat.

I’m pretty sure louie simmons doesn’t advocate doing the full lifts with a band attached (is that even possible?)
[/quote]

'fraid not. There’s vids of Travis Mash out there doing powercleans with chains and power snatches against bands.

I really wish everybody would stop citing him as an example of how Olifters could do things differently. Yes, he’s strong. But even close to an olympic level? Ha.

Law of dimenishing squats in your OLifts…

69kg Champ Dubya (hacked up spelling :(), Front squat 200kg ATG 5 reps EASILY, fails to Clean 190Kg. BUT he did do 148Kg Snatch (Over 2x bw) and C&J 183Kg before. He has HUGE squat reserves. He didn’t get under it, kind of bottled out of it.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

69kg Champ Dubya (hacked up spelling :(), Front squat 200kg ATG 5 reps EASILY, fails to Clean 190Kg. BUT he did do 148Kg Snatch (Over 2x bw) and C&J 183Kg before. He has HUGE squat reserves. He didn’t get under it, kind of bottled out of it.

Koing[/quote]

Good example! Perhaps if he spent less time working the FS and more time working the Clean he would have made the lift. I can’t list any specific examples, but I’ve seen lifters miss recovering from a Clean with much less weight then they can FS.

It’s really a balancing act, a big FS doesn’t matter if one can’t Clean it, a big Clean doesn’t matter if one can’t Jerk it, working with weights much less then 85% of 1RM doesn’t help technique, etc.

some thoughts by Glenn Pendlay about having a strength reserve isn’t always on the mark in his blog :slight_smile:

Just read the Pendlay thing and thought a lot about this post.

I’d like to thank the posters and op for creating a good thread. Got me thinking and forced me to learn a thing or two.

[quote]Rick Jakubowski wrote:
Koing wrote:

Koing

Good example! Perhaps if he spent less time working the FS and more time working the Clean he would have made the lift. I can’t list any specific examples, but I’ve seen lifters miss recovering from a Clean with much less weight then they can FS.

It’s really a balancing act, a big FS doesn’t matter if one can’t Clean it, a big Clean doesn’t matter if one can’t Jerk it, working with weights much less then 85% of 1RM doesn’t help technique, etc.[/quote]

I was just saying. He is a full time athlete and I can probably say confidently say he actually does the OLifts A LOT. He is the WORLD CHAMPION and the EUROPEAN CHAMPION!

The 190Kg would have been SICK but you never know man.

Definately a balancing act. A big FS will help you to Clean if you actually learn to Clean. I disagree. Working weights in the 70-75-80% range is very good and it will be very beneficial for a lifter learning technique. Lifting too heavy too early causes a lot of problems with less experienced lifters and they’ll never lift a big weight due to dodgy technique.

I would have just liked to see Dubya gotten under the weight. It seemed high enough for him to get under it.

Koing

Koing,
I’m sure Dabaya’s training is spot on, I was speaking a bit “tongue-in-cheek” when I implied that he didn’t work his Clean enough.

You are right that training at lower percentages is good while learning technique, but after a certain level is achieved training below a certain level can actually be competitively detrimental since higher weights change the lifter’s bar accelerations.

The slower the bar accelerates the faster one must drop under it in order to make the lift, that bar to lifter timing must be conditioned as close to competition level as possible.

Sorry for the semi-hijack of the thread, and thanks for everyone’s input. Let’s decide to either continue here, (I would like to hear more OL theory, training ideas, etc.), or to start a new topic.

Rick

[quote]Koing wrote:

Koing[/quote]

Dabaya didn’t clean 190 because he already won the competition. He just did a pull then dropped it and celebrated the championship in front of his french fans by doing a backflip. he could stick 190 easy. 183 was a toy lift for him.

[quote]Rick Jakubowski wrote:
Koing,
I’m sure Dabaya’s training is spot on, I was speaking a bit “tongue-in-cheek” when I implied that he didn’t work his Clean enough.

You are right that training at lower percentages is good while learning technique, but after a certain level is achieved training below a certain level can actually be competitively detrimental since higher weights change the lifter’s bar accelerations.

The slower the bar accelerates the faster one must drop under it in order to make the lift, that bar to lifter timing must be conditioned as close to competition level as possible.

Sorry for the semi-hijack of the thread, and thanks for everyone’s input. Let’s decide to either continue here, (I would like to hear more OL theory, training ideas, etc.), or to start a new topic.

Rick[/quote]

Aight, whoops :stuck_out_tongue:

80% is the minimum % I would say is good for taxing the system enough and working on technique with heavier weights. I do mean 80% for triples for Snatch and doubles for C&J, 80% for singles are nothing…

Bar height isn’t the problem with people who have 3-5yrs OLift experience imo. It is speed under the bar, timing etc. I prefer lifters to do more volume at the start and to continue on with the volume. Different approach. But as the lifter gets better they can do more singles and heavier work.

Some people like to hit heavier singles and do less volume and copy The Pro’s. BUT they don’t realise how conditioned the Pro’s are or the 7-10yrs+ of training and the amount of actual lifts they have done.

Koing

[quote]bomber221 wrote:
Koing wrote:

Koing

Dabaya didn’t clean 190 because he already won the competition. He just did a pull then dropped it and celebrated the championship in front of his french fans by doing a backflip. he could stick 190 easy. 183 was a toy lift for him.[/quote]

I know he already won but I would have liked to seen him pull under the bar. No one goes out to just do a pull imo. The back summesault was cool :). I can do those :). 183 was very easy but as often the case with OLifts the extra 1Kg can and will break you.

Hopefully my mate recorded the 77’s yesterday! And with the World Snooker Champs on the weightlifting is at 12am every night! wtf?!

Koing