Why Not to Use a Suicide Grip

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
Lets see here, suicide grip and thumb grip are now just as dangerous as each other.

hmm, yes.

BULLSHIT. Stupid argument, stupid logic.[/quote]

Cool.

If I remember correctly the dude in the first video used to post here. He was just fine. Also I believe he completed that lift minutes later.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
Lets see here, suicide grip and thumb grip are now just as dangerous as each other.

hmm, yes.

BULLSHIT. Stupid argument, stupid logic.[/quote]

Go find an example of someone dying while using as thumbless grip, kthanxbai.

At least they didnt drop it on their neck or head, I wonder how common that is compared to dropping it on you’re chest.

A whole lot would have to be wrong for someone to drop the bar on their neck or head. Most obviously, at least on a bench with built on forks would be body position.

Not that it can’t happen though. We are talking about people after all. Benching on a free standing bench with no forks in a power rack totally makes it possible.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
A whole lot would have to be wrong for someone to drop the bar on their neck or head. Most obviously, at least on a bench with built on forks would be body position.

Not that it can’t happen though. We are talking about people after all. Benching on a free standing bench with no forks in a power rack totally makes it possible.

[/quote]

I hear you, seems more common with like floor pressing or incline benching, maybe even decline if they are using the J range of motion…

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Is there a legitimate benefit to using a suicide grip? [/quote]

Some people feel more comfortable. It also activates the triceps more in the lift. I use it for close grip.
We old people really need joint comfort.

This poor bastard let it slip. In truth this can happen to anyone of us.

are people cocking their wrists back when using a suicide grip? it seems like that’s what’s happening, and the thus the weight is more directly on the “wrist stump” that way.

browndisaster, I don’t like your screen name.

Carry on.

Great perspective from Dave Tate here. There’s the right way and the “deserve to have your teeth knocked out” way.

As he says in setting up you need to grip very hard with the regular grip first THEN bring your thumb back, this will eliminate a lot of risk…

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Is there a legitimate benefit to using a suicide grip? [/quote]

Yes. For me, it helped greatly with keeping the bar aligned with my wrists.[/quote]\

Same here. It is also much more natural and comfortable feeling for my palms and wrists. I use it on every pressing motion.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Great perspective from Dave Tate here. There’s the right way and the “deserve to have your teeth knocked out” way.

As he says in setting up you need to grip very hard with the regular grip first THEN bring your thumb back, this will eliminate a lot of risk…

[/quote]

Thanks for that.

From the outset on the original video you can see he does not have the bar lined up correctly. The bigger question is how did it not happen sooner?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Carry on.[/quote]
I don’t like it either, but it’s too late to change

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Carry on.[/quote]
[/quote]

What IS a brown disaster?

1. It’s a head-on collision between 2 fully-loaded UPS trucks.

2. It’s a bad case of diarrhea after a night of food and drink in Tijuana.

3. It’s what white supremacists called it after Obama got elected for a 2nd term.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Carry on.[/quote]
[/quote]

3. It’s what white supremacists called it after Obama got elected for a 2nd term.
    [/quote]

LOL! This is one of the funniest posts I have ever seen.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Carry on.[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
hahahaha you are very close

1. I was a dick in a box UPS driver for Halloween freshman year of college, it was a success
  2. (this is the real reason) I used to squat and deadlift in college on the weekends after a night of drinking. Whenever I was really hungover, which was about half the time, I’d poop my pants a bit. I never noticed it when it happened, but luckily it usually went undetected as people weren’t near the power rack often.
  3. I still don’t get how white supremacists enjoy food. Do they just have mac and cheese daily?

1. (this is the real reason) I used to squat and deadlift in college on the weekends after a night of drinking. Whenever I was really hungover, which was about half the time, I’d poop my pants a bit. I never noticed it when it happened, but luckily it usually went undetected as people weren’t near the power rack often.
    [/quote]

This is why I don’t like your name.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Carry on.[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

1. I still don’t get how white supremacists enjoy food. Do they just have mac and cheese daily?[/quote]

Its tough man. Its tough. Brown rice? Wont go near it. Coffee? I have to put a shit load of creamer in there before its good enough for me.

it looks like the bar just slips through their hands. maybe my recommending gloves isnt such a bad idea now? no? i’m still a fag? okay sorry.

i understand you guys want strong rhino skin on your hands, as do i. i make sure to tear my hands up regularly. since you might need to lift something out of the gym and you want durable hands. but i carry racing gloves with me wherever i go because you never know what you’ll need to handle. i needed to carry a tv one time and my hands sweat and it had sharp edges on its base, im glad i had gloves. i love gloves. i also owned a pair of pants that let you slip in knee pads. i loved that

[quote]eremesu wrote:
it looks like the bar just slips through their hands. maybe my recommending gloves isnt such a bad idea now? no? i’m still a fag? okay sorry.

i understand you guys want strong rhino skin on your hands, as do i. i make sure to tear my hands up regularly. since you might need to lift something out of the gym and you want durable hands. but i carry racing gloves with me wherever i go because you never know what you’ll need to handle. i needed to carry a tv one time and my hands sweat and it had sharp edges on its base, im glad i had gloves. i love gloves. i also owned a pair of pants that let you slip in knee pads. i loved that[/quote]

In bodybuilding, no judges are checking for callouses on your hands, they’re not inquiring whether you squat or not, and they certainly don’t give a damn if you use the maxi pad or not.

Do whatever works for you and enables your progress.

Resume thread.