T Nation

Why Not Do It the RIGHT Way?

It annoys me.

Every single time I open up a magazine or watch a fitness tv channel or commercial, I see horrible information spread everywhere.

so my question is: why isn’t there any resource out there that has reputable information? 99% of the time u c someone bench in either a magazine or on the tv, u see elbows flared, bar lowered to mid-chest. Squatting is probably the most notorious example - lowering it a 1/4 of the way. Every time i see eating ‘healthy’, i see either low-fat or low-carb.

So what would it take for someone to actually start some kind of publication, magazine or tv show, that actually has information that we t-men and women can agree on? why hasn’t it happened it yet?

This is a really, really, really strange place to post this question.

It’s illegal for the right information about fitness and nutrition to be televised. The U.S. government outlawed it in 1940 when McDonalds opened. There was however a free rider attatched to a bill that was passed by Congress some years ago that stated that the production, promotion, and sale of bullshit ab rollers and low carb everything WERE in fact legal.

This is why we have T-Nation.

My favorite example of this is subway. Their spokesman has to be the least atheltic person I’ve ever seen, but they promote him as extremely healthy because of subway. Granted, he’s better off than before, but it’s not like he’s even close to in good shape.

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
So what would it take for someone to actually start some kind of publication, magazine or tv show, that actually has information that we t-men and women can agree on? why hasn’t it happened it yet?[/quote]

Obviously there’s at least one. I mean, if you were able to become a genius on the topic of what is correct, you had to have gained your information from just the correct source that you claim doesn’t exist.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
B.b. in stress! wrote:
So what would it take for someone to actually start some kind of publication, magazine or tv show, that actually has information that we t-men and women can agree on? why hasn’t it happened it yet?

Obviously there’s at least one. I mean, if you were able to become a genius on the topic of what is correct, you had to have gained your information from just the correct source that you claim doesn’t exist.[/quote]

Anyone who gains all of their knowledge from only one source is no where near “genius” level.

y am i complaining for? more information for us!

but then again, we all started out at the same level, wanting everything we want to know about diet and exercise. so ya maybe creating these things really isnt a good idea

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:
My favorite example of this is subway. Their spokesman has to be the least atheltic person I’ve ever seen, but they promote him as extremely healthy because of subway. Granted, he’s better off than before, but it’s not like he’s even close to in good shape.[/quote]

Yea, but he’s less intimidating, and more people can relate to someone like him, as opposed to someone who works his/her ass off in the gym to get results.

It all comes down to how much money they think they can make from the ads, and they have to target the most people possible. Unfortunately, “we” aren’t a very large market.

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
It annoys me.

Every single time I open up a magazine or watch a fitness tv channel or commercial, I see horrible information spread everywhere.

so my question is: why isn’t there any resource out there that has reputable information? 99% of the time u c someone bench in either a magazine or on the tv, u see elbows flared, bar lowered to mid-chest. Squatting is probably the most notorious example - lowering it a 1/4 of the way. Every time i see eating ‘healthy’, i see either low-fat or low-carb.

So what would it take for someone to actually start some kind of publication, magazine or tv show, that actually has information that we t-men and women can agree on? why hasn’t it happened it yet?[/quote]

Because reputable information usually translates into hard work. Most people can’t deal with the hard truth that they need to eat less crap and move around more. Instead they want easy, quick fixes, which is why the thighmaster and other contraptions that allow you to ``work out’’ while sitting on the couch are so popular.

Its why `diet coke plus’ will sell like hotcakes. And its why this new diet pill Alli, despite the side effects, will make GlaxoSmithKline more money than they know what to do with.

There are plenty of reputable information resources on fitness. Dozens. But you’re not going to find them on the newsstand at wal-mart.

There’s nothing wrong with benching to mid chest, or eating low-carb or low-fat.

“Quats”(Quarter squats) do bother me though.

I hear you. It sure would be nice if someone started a website to dessiminate fitness knowledge.

DB

Because the people selling the products know that most people don’t know how to properly do things correctly so they can sell them things that make it look EASY…whether or not they work.

Most people think losing weight, or gaining muscle is easy, all you have to do is buy an ab roller or listen to Chuck Norris. (I do enjoy the Chuck Norris Jokes though) They buy their shit, find out it doesnt work and then quit and stay fat.

I’ve never seen a commercial trying to sell any supplements (except for GNC). When was the last time you saw an ad for a protein powder, creatine or recovery drink (besides Gatordade) on TV? I’ve also never see Gym’s advertising on TV, only in little ad’s in the paper.

I think most of the people on this website knows what will work and what will not, but 99% of the population doesnt. I try to explain what I know to people that don’t know and they give me blank stares. I actually have to force them to do it, they see changes, then they think its a miracle.

To most people, they want the easy way out, like the super mario brothers nintendo game where you can warp from Level 1 to Level 8 in 30 seconds and then beat the game in 2 minutes. Unfortunately, getting in shape doesnt work like that.

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:
My favorite example of this is subway. Their spokesman has to be the least atheltic person I’ve ever seen, but they promote him as extremely healthy because of subway. Granted, he’s better off than before, but it’s not like he’s even close to in good shape.[/quote]

I take issue with this comment. Jared is one of the most “Jacked” “Hardcore” “Diesel” Mofos on the block. I am positive he’s on “special” supps.

D

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
99% of the time u c someone bench in either a magazine or on the tv, u see elbows flared, bar lowered to mid-chest. [/quote]

Sounds like a Bodybuilder Bench Press. This is not an inherently wrong movement, contrary to what a lot of people on here might say. Sure, it’s not a movement for heavy loading and it can be hard on the shoulders, but it has it’s place. It was widely used by old-time, “classic” bodybuilders for isolating the pecs.

I can’t do it because of shoulder issues (I have done it in the past as a changeup), but I imagine it is still used by competitive BBers.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
dessiminate
[/quote]

Wow. Look at the big brain on DB!

[quote]robo1 wrote:
B.b. in stress! wrote:
It annoys me.

Every single time I open up a magazine or watch a fitness tv channel or commercial, I see horrible information spread everywhere.

so my question is: why isn’t there any resource out there that has reputable information? 99% of the time u c someone bench in either a magazine or on the tv, u see elbows flared, bar lowered to mid-chest. Squatting is probably the most notorious example - lowering it a 1/4 of the way. Every time i see eating ‘healthy’, i see either low-fat or low-carb.

So what would it take for someone to actually start some kind of publication, magazine or tv show, that actually has information that we t-men and women can agree on? why hasn’t it happened it yet?

Because reputable information usually translates into hard work. Most people can’t deal with the hard truth that they need to eat less crap and move around more. Instead they want easy, quick fixes, which is why the thighmaster and other contraptions that allow you to ``work out’’ while sitting on the couch are so popular.

Its why `diet coke plus’ will sell like hotcakes. And its why this new diet pill Alli, despite the side effects, will make GlaxoSmithKline more money than they know what to do with.

There are plenty of reputable information resources on fitness. Dozens. But you’re not going to find them on the newsstand at wal-mart.[/quote]

Right. There’s plenty of quality, reputable information out there. Even in the mainstream. There’s also a lot of crap. And it is because people are looking for quick and easy fixes [that really don’t exist].

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
dessiminate

Wow. Look at the big brain on DB!

[/quote]

because of the metric system :wink:

-dizzle

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
dessiminate

Wow. Look at the big brain on DB!

[/quote]

Motherf-er! That’s two fuck-ups this week for me. I think maybe that oldtimers disease I’ve been hearing about is setting in.

DB

What is the “right way”? How do you know what the “right way” is?

These are serious questions.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
What is the “right way”? How do you know what the “right way” is?

These are serious questions.[/quote]

Whichever way works best after trial and error.

You know it’s the right way when it’s the way that got you the best/fastest results.