Why Not 5 Days a Week?

How come a lot of the programs on T-Nation do not advocate 5 days a week workout programs?

if you have time and eat right, wouldn’t more volume and more intensity for a body part equal better results?

what are the downsides?

Burnout. besides a lot of the workouts on this site aren’t bodypart splits.I guess you could workout five times a week if you only work like one body part a week. LIke chest on monday, back teusday legs wednesday arms thursday, shoulders friday that sort of thing. I guess what im trying to say is what kind of workout split are you doing? or planning on doing for five days? People need good info in order to give you good anwsers. You could do it with a lower upper split but it depends. you have to switch up intensity, reps and sets, percentage of 1RM’s. elaborate on ur program.

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
How come a lot of the programs on T-Nation do not advocate 5 days a week workout programs?

if you have time and eat right, wouldn’t more volume and more intensity for a body part equal better results?

what are the downsides?[/quote]

It is times like that where you quit relying only on this web site and find out what works best for yourself. I personally have never followed a plan from this site. I train at the very least five days a week (and that’s if I am being called in at work during off hours). I usually train 6 days a week.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Hawkson101 wrote:

what are the downsides?

It is times like that where you quit relying only on this web site and find out what works best for yourself. I personally have never followed a plan from this site. I train at the very least five days a week (and that’s if I am being called in at work during off hours). I usually train 6 days a week.[/quote]

You’ve also got to work into account that like 80 percent of people(maybe more) would work best with like a TBT or upper lower split just two or three times a week. Just depends on ppl, maybe you should try like a six week period where you workout five days a week and see how it works for you

[quote]Pbjoe wrote:

You’ve also got to work into account that like 80 percent of people(maybe more) would work best with like a TBT or upper lower split just two or three times a week. Just depends on ppl, maybe you should try like a six week period where you workout five days a week and see how it works for you[/quote]

I’m sorry, but how do you know that “80%” of people need to be doing a TBT workout plan? Because the authors here have convinced you of that? Why would I quit doing what works for me…to try something else just so I don’t have to make it to the gym as much? I personally don’t avoid the gym. I don’t dislike training. I dislike days off. You can usually look at people and tell if they are the same way.

Why not 5 days a week indeed. It’s a great plan for many people.

I know people who train 6 times a week have a manual labor job and still grow without steroids. Find out what works for yourself. I would however say it is quite hard for an average joe to get to the gym that often. Also, if you don’t control intensity and volume you can end up feeling very tired and sleep a lot. But that’s mainly if you are not eating enough.

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:

if you have time and eat right, wouldn’t more volume and more intensity for a body part equal better results?[/quote]

Because 5/week would be too much volume for most trainees. Many people train that many times each week. Give it a try.

When I did splits, I’d do push day, pull day, off, leg day, off, push, pull. That’s 5 days each week. It worked great for me. YMMV.

[quote]Pbjoe wrote:
You’ve also got to work into account that like 80 percent of people(maybe more) would work best with like a TBT or upper lower split just two or three times a week. Just depends on ppl, maybe you should try like a six week period where you workout five days a week and see how it works for you[/quote]

You’ve been training for just 11 months yet you know what works best for 80% of everyone? You’re quite the prodigy.

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:

what are the downsides?[/quote]

I don’t understand why so many people have a fetish with volume and intensity but not frequency. This whole argument on splits vs. TBT boils down to volume and intensity vs. frequency. CW thinks frequency is best for hypertrophy and I think he presents solid evidence.

Why would I quit doing what works for me…to try something else just so I don’t have to make it to the gym as much? [/quote]

Because then you could blame your lack of progress on your poor genetics and the fact that everyone else is on steroids.

However, once you notice you’re making shitty progress over the course of several years, you should just keep doing the exact same thing, and ignore the methods used by those who are making gains.

Got it?

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Why would I quit doing what works for me…to try something else just so I don’t have to make it to the gym as much?

Because then you could blame your lack of progress on your poor genetics and the fact that everyone else is on steroids.

However, once you notice you’re making shitty progress over the course of several years, you should just keep doing the exact same thing, and ignore the methods used by those who are making gains.

Got it?[/quote]

Yes, sir. I am now on my way to avoiding the gym twice as much but expected twice the progress.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:

Got it?[/quote]

I love that. I had this skinny bastard who started training with us one off season. He decided that our training was too focussed on strength and power gains rather than mass and he went back to the the program that yielded 5 pounds in 2 years.

Needless to say we were gaining that each month.

By the way, the program was Westside for Skinny bastards. Surely the name of the program should have been enough to know that it was for him.

At one body part per day why not 7 days?

I work out at least 5x a week, 6x if I’m feeling like there was an area I needed to hit again. I use a split of chest, legs, arms, back, shoulders, and calves/traps twice a week. Granted I am 19 so my body is handling it very well. My whole life I was doing a total body workout 3x a week for football lifting, but I got sick and lost a lot of muscle mass and then I got hurt so I couldnt play football anymore. I went to splits everyday and I have put on slabs of muscle, much more than with the 3x total body work. It doesnt take much time, 45 minutes a day. A week is more than enough time off for a body part.

I have been doing a 5 day split since I started lifting and I love it. There is so much room for modification and change that it leaves almost nothing to be desired.

If you have the time and you know your body well enough to keep from overtraining then go for it.

Stop trying to follow EVERYTHING you read. I would rather have a basic understanding of nutrition and training, then apply that to myself, than have every super complicated fucking diet and routine by every author on this site memorized.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Why would I quit doing what works for me…to try something else just so I don’t have to make it to the gym as much?

Got it?[/quote]

You forgot: You can then “bring down the hammer” on everyone bigger than you, calling them fat.

[/quote]

5 pounds in 2 years.

Needless to say we were gaining that each month.

[/quote]

you gained 120 pounds over 2 years?

try it and see how it works. I do full body 4 times per week now but have tried just about everything out there at one time or another. If anybody on this website, including me or any of the most respected authors, tell you that such and such is what YOU should be doing, they are full of shit and should be ignored.

They don’t know you, you genetics, your muscle make up, etc., etc., etc. You have to find the best program for yourself. The only stupid thing you can do, and I have done this in the past, is to continue doing what is not working for you because you might lose something if you stopped and tried something new.

Pbjoe wrote:

You’ve also got to work into account that like 80 percent of people(maybe more) would work best with like a TBT or upper lower split just two or three times a week. Just depends on ppl, maybe you should try like a six week period where you workout five days a week and see how it works for you

I’m sorry, but how do you know that “80%” of people need to be doing a TBT workout plan? Because the authors here have convinced you of that? Why would I quit doing what works for me…to try something else just so I don’t have to make it to the gym as much? I personally don’t avoid the gym. I don’t dislike training. I dislike days off. You can usually look at people and tell if they are the same way.[/quote]

No i have seen it over the internet not just on T-Nation and don’t get all defensive i didn’t tell you to change what works for you. I also use my own experience when i have seen way greater gains doing upper lower splits that bodypart splits. If it works for you then stay with it dude calm down. I have seen better gains working out a bodypart a couple times a week rather that only four times a month. Sheez!