Why Narrow Grip for Max Bench?

I’ve always been curious about this; I usually bench with a very wide grip; my pointer fingers are on the band in the knurling on the bar usually. But almost every powerlifter I see benches with a much narrower grip. If your pecs are stronger than your triceps, why do powerlifters emphasize their tris by bringing their grip in closer?

They utilize their lats and triceps much better than you or I do :slight_smile:

S

touche…haha

I’m wondering if bringing in my grip a bit more may help me press more…but I’m not sure

Doing a real chest dominant bench and training for it takes a huge toll on pecs and shoulders. And yes, PLers are pretty good at getting their lats, legs, and upper back into the lift. For me, the very bottom portion of the bench is driven by leg drive, lats and triceps. A closer grip can also give more power in the bottom half which is where a lot of raw benchers miss.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Doing a real chest dominant bench and training for it takes a huge toll on pecs and shoulders. And yes, PLers are pretty good at getting their lats, legs, and upper back into the lift. For me, the very bottom portion of the bench is driven by leg drive, lats and triceps. A closer grip can also give more power in the bottom half which is where a lot of raw benchers miss. [/quote]

Yeah I miss right on the bottom of my chest. I’ve never failed on a rep that I’ve gotten more than 2" off my chest

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Doing a real chest dominant bench and training for it takes a huge toll on pecs and shoulders. And yes, PLers are pretty good at getting their lats, legs, and upper back into the lift. For me, the very bottom portion of the bench is driven by leg drive, lats and triceps. A closer grip can also give more power in the bottom half which is where a lot of raw benchers miss. [/quote]

Yeah I miss right on the bottom of my chest. I’ve never failed on a rep that I’ve gotten more than 2" off my chest [/quote]

If you’re benching just to be able to bench more, then it sounds like you could use more leg and back drive.

For a PLer, as long as the weight isn’t retardedly over their max, they’ll always be able to get the bar at least a couple inches off their chest. For me, I lose it after that initial leg and lat drive if I do miss at about 2-4in off my chest.