Why Multi-Ply Lifting is a Joke

[quote]abebesheir wrote:
I have squatted 405x2 in the gym at 218 bodyweight.
[/quote]

What’s your point?

I just got home from the gym. Today was ME squat. Not more than 3 hours ago, I watched a 165er (drug free!) box squat 405 RAAAW! to legal squat depth. He also happens to lift at one of the strongest multi-ply gyms in the country.

And then I found $5.

Why does walking out a squat make it more legitimate? I don’t hear anyone complaining about having a liftoff man for the bench press. Nor do I recall any federations stipulating that you have to take a few steps after locking out a deadlift.

We’re testing the ability to lift weight, and the invention of the monolift gets rid of a stupid phase of a movement which is irrelevant to true limit strength.

Donnie Thompson is obviously pathetically weak raw!

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
Why does walking out a squat make it more legitimate? I don’t hear anyone complaining about having a liftoff man for the bench press. Nor do I recall any federations stipulating that you have to take a few steps after locking out a deadlift.

We’re testing the ability to lift weight, and the invention of the monolift gets rid of a stupid phase of a movement which is irrelevant to true limit strength.

Donnie Thompson is obviously pathetically weak raw![/quote]

That lift looked like legit depth to me, whats the deal?

[quote]PublickStews wrote:

Donnie Thompson is obviously pathetically weak raw![/quote]

he was robbed!

[quote]Dominator wrote:

Why is it always the Rah guys always bring up these Raw vs Gear debates???

[/quote]

How come there aren’t any STRONG Raw guys who bring up the Raw vs Gear Debates?

To Buckeye girl, I wasn’t the one who introduced my own measley numbers into this thread. That was an entirely different post.
I am not claiming to be very strong or experienced.

I squatted for the 1st time in my life at the age of 31 (my only athletic background was distance running in high school, I was sedentary for over ten years before picking up PLing).
I have less than 100 total squat workouts under my belt.

Still, I can tell when a squat is high and it has nothing to do with camera angles.

Whatever floats your boat I say.

I prefer the IPF side, so I stick to that, and lift in that.

Many people prefer higher squats, more gear, etc. Good for them.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Dominator wrote:
[/quote]

Because all the guys with legit raw numbers are all geared lifters.

[quote]Dominator wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
Dominator wrote:

[/quote]

i really hope you don’t believe this.

[quote]Dominator wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
Dominator wrote:

[/quote]

Well- there is a kernal of truth to this. Most guys and girls that are real strong have put a lot of time and thought into their craft. Along the way they have ususally tried lots of things in terms of training, technique, gear, and what kinds rules they want to compete under. While they may have settled on raw lifting for the time being- they often have trained/competed in gear at some point- sometimes at a very high level (guys like Beau Moore come to mind here).

Personally, everyone I know who is a strong geared lifter is a strong raw lifter and most strong raw guys I know are strong in gear as well. Show me any major raw exhibition event- the Europa show, Talmant’s Unity meet, or the NERB event a couple years ago. By and large, the top lifters earned their wings in equipped lifting- APF, APA, USPF, USAPL, SPF, etc.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
Dominator wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
Dominator wrote:

i really hope you don’t believe this.
[/quote]

I was being sarcastic, but really, as far as it pertains to me, I’d say that this statement has in fact been the case except for two cases.

The natural progression of a guy who starts out raw who has a decent total is that they end up moving into gear. I’d say that this has been the case 95% of the time, again, as it pertains to what I’ve seen and come across.

And one side note, those two guys that I know that are raw lifters with big totals never once bring up the comparison of Raw vs Geared or their totals being more impressive or devaluing a geared lifters total…I’ve only heard these geared complaints coming from raw lifters with average to low totals or raw guys who tried getting into the gear who were really unsuccessful.

They see me trollin

they hatin…

Personally the high squats would prevent me from wanting to compete in a multi ply meet. HOwever like someone said there are stricter feds for all types of lifting. At least the judging is similar for all the lifters and federation records are just that. It’s not like people are being taken off the record books in strict feds by people squatting high.

Let them do as they want, They are still moving ginormous ammounts of weight.

That is why powerlifting is dead to me.

Maybe when we settle the raw vs. gear debate, we can determine if Prilpin’s chart is 100% applicable to powerlifting, if 6 sets of 3 is better than 9 set of 2 for dynamic work, if powerlifters even need dynamic work, whose dick is bigger, and bring peace to the Middle East.

Whew, lots of work ahead!

Pat

[quote]Hanley wrote:
raw, naked, in the dark, at the beach, and anywhere else where strength can be displayed?
.[/quote]

I feel like there is some potential for a new type of fed here Hanley

[quote]skidmark wrote:
PublickStews wrote:

Donnie Thompson is obviously pathetically weak raw!

he was robbed![/quote]

Judging from that horrific angle he was way above parallel.
2 inches more would have made it a safe IPF legit lift.

If you hate geared lifting…

• Don’t watch the videos
  • Don’t compete in the meet
  • Don’t buy products they promote
  • Don’t go to websites that feature it
  • And lastly, don’t talk about it

You’ll be a much happier person

I was out sailing the Mirror the other day and some guy in a MULTIHULL comes screaming past with his assymetric kite up. Bastard.

Couldn’t tack for shit though.

And I thought to myself, I might get me one of them next.

I did a 800lb high box squat, just unracking it and walking it out was no doubt one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life.

When I realized how truly heavy the weight that these guys were fucking with I no longer cared that it was equipped.

To anyone thinking these lifts are bullshit, unrack 1000lbs raw (if you can) and try… TRY… to imagine bending your knee’s with the weight and getting even remotely close to parallel without dying. And then coming back up with the weight and calling for another 100 or 200 or 250lbs added to the bar.

And thats just multi ply monolift powerlifting, guys in the ipf are the freakiest lifters there are. Walk out 900lbs and squat down until your in a olympic squat and then come back up and me equipped lifters arent brick shit houses