T Nation

Why Mess With Me

[quote]conorh wrote:
I’m going to chime in here.

One time I was doing real light sets of squats, I think the 2x25 from Quattro Dynamo. I don’t remember if they were front or back, but it’s irrelevant.

This guy comes up to me in the middle of a set, and asks me if he can ask me something, or something to that effect. I give him a “13 or so out of 25 reps done my brain is gonna explode, why are you talking to me!” look and he starts to explain to me that I shouldn’t be doing my squats the way I was.

He tried to explain why my toes shouldn’t be past my toes etc, etc. I tried to explain to him how I thought that was bullshit and just increased forces elsewhere in the kinetic chain and how sports players execute similar movements all the time to no detriment. He uttered something about being a personal trainer and how he could do “400 pounds if he didn’t care about form”. My training partner at the time was laughing the whole time mind you…

I couldn’t and still can’t believe he came up to me in the middle of the set. As if he expected my kneecaps to shoot out and roll across the floor before I completed the set.

The worst part is he then put a belt on and executed the shittiest quarter squat with the knees behind the toes I’ve ever seen.[/quote]

Man that is just crazy. To tell you all that bullshit in the middle of a set mind you. And then make a fool out of himself afterward.

Why does everyone think that if someone is doing a workout different than the way they do it, its wrong.

Oh my god he has his knees in front of his toes. I must stop him. WTF.

I mean some things work better for other people.

But thats funny man.

[quote]I do speak, or used to speak a Scandinavian language. At this point it has been so long, I would be laughed out of the room by a native speaker, but it is so obscure here that when I pretend I don’t speak English and that comes out, people just about fall over. And they go away quickly.

[/quote]
Oh please, Sabrina. You’re not going to get rid of anyone speaking Scandinavian!

I had a similar incident, kinda fun for me to look back on. It was squat day. I get into the gym and see the rack is free, so I quickly do my warm up and get down there. Just as I get to the weight room, two NFL size guys are just getting onto the squat rack.

Not in the mood to wait a half hour I asked if I could work in. I’m a tall skinny guy, and I caught the quick glance they exchanged before one of the two said “were goin heavy today”. I so wanted to say “perfect, I’m going light” but they were pretty big guys so I just said “me too”.

I used the same weights as they did up some where into the 300’s. The more athletic of the two did turn out to be a little bit stronger than me but I smoked the other guy. At one point during a set I heard the less strong guy say to his partner “He’s realitively strong for his size”

[quote]kellyc wrote:

Oh please, Sabrina. You’re not going to get rid of anyone speaking Scandinavian!
[/quote]

Mmmmm, no, you’re right about that. “Scandinavian” is not a language.

[quote]kellyc wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, as long as you can say “yes,” “no,” and “candy,” I’m humping your leg.

[quote]kellyc wrote:
I do speak, or used to speak a Scandinavian language. At this point it has been so long, I would be laughed out of the room by a native speaker, but it is so obscure here that when I pretend I don’t speak English and that comes out, people just about fall over. And they go away quickly.

[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing, I know it would takes some mace or possibly a tazer to get me to leave her alone.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, I know it would takes some mace or possibly a tazer to get me to leave her alone.

V
[/quote]

Note to self: Don’t forget mace and tazer…

[quote]Goku_SS4 wrote:
redfreddy wrote:
Goku_SS4 wrote:

wow. now thats some kind of insecurity.

How? Im insecure in my lifting because some one who doesnt know what they are talking about comes up and starts rambling nonsence so I prove him wrong.

If he would have had something usefull to say I would have been glad to listen. I am always trying to learn something new and improve myself. If is good I use it and give it a shot if the guy thinks it could help.

If it doesnt work I go back to the way I was doing it before.

This guy was just saying nonsence.[/quote]

Unless you were planning on going up to 365 doing it just to shut someone up is, as the previous poster stated,“some kind of insecurity”. You would have felt like a jackass if you had hurt yourself…

I dont work out in gyms for the same reason, because I am a big guy ( read that as have to lose 20 kg) I get the ripped guys macking comments.

The last time I trained in a gym with a friend 3 cover models for aussie fitness mag made the comment that a fat guy like me was not as fit as them so my friend bet them a a thousand each that they could not do my work out, they sat and watched me do 45 min of weigths and then we did a kickboing cardio session the three models collapse in twenty minutes and I continued on for another fourty just to rub it in, I maybe fat but I can move and train hard seven days a week .
Fluffy

[quote]pja wrote:
Goku_SS4 wrote:
redfreddy wrote:
Goku_SS4 wrote:

wow. now thats some kind of insecurity.

How? Im insecure in my lifting because some one who doesnt know what they are talking about comes up and starts rambling nonsence so I prove him wrong.

If he would have had something usefull to say I would have been glad to listen. I am always trying to learn something new and improve myself. If is good I use it and give it a shot if the guy thinks it could help.

If it doesnt work I go back to the way I was doing it before.

This guy was just saying nonsence.

Unless you were planning on going up to 365 doing it just to shut someone up is, as the previous poster stated,“some kind of insecurity”. You would have felt like a jackass if you had hurt yourself…[/quote]

Man I know what I can handle and what I cant. Im not gonna get under something I cant handle. The only reason 365 was hard was because I already did 2 sets before that.

Do you realy think I would try to put weight on to shut someone up and then put to much on so I cant even get it up. Come on man.

…prob. because no one gives a fuck about your pissed off stare. Man, what are you in fuckin high school?

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
…prob. because no one gives a fuck about your pissed off stare. Man, what are you in fuckin high school?[/quote]

Oh Im sorry, I dont mean to take my lifting seriously or anything. I always thought that when you lift thats what you are there to do…right? Do I fuck with you about the way you lift. I dont think so. I dont mess with people. Thats why I say why mess with me.

I guess you thought that I lift like this.

I just like to come in there and watch all the other people work out and mess with people.

What are you one of those guys that come in and talk on your cell phone and try to pick up women instead of lift?

Just wondering.

So do you have something to add other than your smart ass comment. If not then why bother. Go read something else.

Or just sit down and color.

Goku.

I have trained at a Navy base a few times with my boy who is in the military. I couldn’t believe the above average number of guys squatting. Guess what? They were all squatting high. I mean like 1/8 squat high. Remember kids…Friends don’t let friends squat high. On a similarly related note. Me and my partner had to train at a commercial gym yesterday and it was heavy shirt and top end day. This mouth breathing water head came up to us and asked “What are them shirts for? Do they help isolate your chest?” I fucking hate commercial gyms.

Goku_SS4,

My dear friend Goku…I’ve got about 80lbs on you with less bf. I’ve been liftin for 11 years. I don’t need to go into the gym with some fake ass scowl on my face. I’m not gay. When you put some real weight on the bar, people won’t bother you. When you exude condifence instead of fake anger. Guys like you crack me up…I used to see you all the time in commercial gyms…walkin around scowling…while squattin 300lbs hahahaha.

I think I better question would be to yourself: Why did that interaction anger you so much that you wanted to come on here and post a thread about it? If you were truly confident in yourself, you would have laughed it off.

Someone wiser than me once said: “He who angers you, controls you.”

I was in the USMC for 6 years and never compared a set of squats to going to war. Lighten up, Francis. Be happy that you are in good shape and maybe pass on some knowledge to the newbie.

Take care of yourself over there.

[quote]Fluffy wrote:
I dont work out in gyms for the same reason, because I am a big guy ( read that as have to lose 20 kg) I get the ripped guys macking comments.

The last time I trained in a gym with a friend 3 cover models for aussie fitness mag made the comment that a fat guy like me was not as fit as them so my friend bet them a a thousand each that they could not do my work out, they sat and watched me do 45 min of weigths and then we did a kickboing cardio session the three models collapse in twenty minutes and I continued on for another fourty just to rub it in, I maybe fat but I can move and train hard seven days a week .
Fluffy
[/quote]

Did you friend ninja both 1000s? You shoulda gotten one. =P

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Goku_SS4,

My dear friend Goku…I’ve got about 80lbs on you with less bf. I’ve been liftin for 11 years. I don’t need to go into the gym with some fake ass scowl on my face. I’m not gay. When you put some real weight on the bar, people won’t bother you. When you exude condifence instead of fake anger. Guys like you crack me up…I used to see you all the time in commercial gyms…walkin around scowling…while squattin 300lbs hahahaha.
[/quote]

Fake anger? Have you seen me lift.
NO. Just like I have not seen you lift. Squats are the hardest thing for me to do. So if I dont get angry and say to myself. (self) If you dont get this up at least 9 times your a pussy. Then I tend to cheat at my reps. I use the anger to push myself.

Just like I am saying you do what you do. and dont mess with me I wont mess with you.

And congrats on being 80lbs more than me. If I hade been lifting for 11 years Id have that much too.

[quote]1BADMF wrote:
I think I better question would be to yourself: Why did that interaction anger you so much that you wanted to come on here and post a thread about it? If you were truly confident in yourself, you would have laughed it off. [/quote]

Sure I could have laughed it off if it wasnt for the the way the guy approched me and his attitude. If you give attitude to me your gonna get it back. I am confident in what I lift. All Im trying to say is why come up and mess with someone like that. There are better ways to talk to people or to ask a question. Dont just come up with attitude and nonsence. Why mess with people.

And as far as me wanting to post about it I wanted to see if some stuff like that had ever happened to anyone else.

Sorry if it was a bad analogy for you. Just think of something else then. Like a man doing battle with himself or something. Dont take it so literally. And once agian the way the guy approached me there was no way to pass on any knowledge to the young Padawan. Give attitude get it back remember.

[quote]
Take care of yourself over there.[/quote]
USMC For 6 years nice. I have great respect for the MC I was lucky enough to fight beside them while I was in Iraq. That was the first time I had ever been around any Marines. Let alone fight with them. Great group of guys.

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
Fluffy wrote:

Fluffy

Did you friend ninja both 1000s? You shoulda gotten one. =P[/quote]

No My friend didn’t ninja the $3000,
He gave them all to me as he is from a wealthy family and he can’t stand prettyboys and befor you ask no I didn’t keep all the money I got presents for his kids and took the family to a posh restruant( its great to be big shot with someone else’s money:P
Fluffy

[quote]Goku_SS4 wrote:
1BADMF wrote:
I think I better question would be to yourself: Why did that interaction anger you so much that you wanted to come on here and post a thread about it? If you were truly confident in yourself, you would have laughed it off.

Sure I could have laughed it off if it wasnt for the the way the guy approched me and his attitude. If you give attitude to me your gonna get it back. I am confident in what I lift. All Im trying to say is why come up and mess with someone like that. There are better ways to talk to people or to ask a question. Dont just come up with attitude and nonsence. Why mess with people.

And as far as me wanting to post about it I wanted to see if some stuff like that had ever happened to anyone else.

Someone wiser than me once said: “He who angers you, controls you.”

I was in the USMC for 6 years and never compared a set of squats to going to war. Lighten up, Francis. Be happy that you are in good shape and maybe pass on some knowledge to the newbie.

Sorry if it was a bad analogy for you. Just think of something else then. Like a man doing battle with himself or something. Dont take it so literally. And once agian the way the guy approached me there was no way to pass on any knowledge to the young Padawan. Give attitude get it back remember.

Take care of yourself over there.
USMC For 6 years nice. I have great respect for the MC I was lucky enough to fight beside them while I was in Iraq. That was the first time I had ever been around any Marines. Let alone fight with them. Great group of guys.
[/quote]
I can understand where Goku is coming from it is the attitude that they other guy presents not just that they say something, I dont think anyone on this forum (ok may one or two) would go up to a complete stranger and be so rude.
Fluffy