T Nation

Why Mess With Me

Now Im in the military so the gym I go to on the training side of base is small but there is hardly anybody in there. (just to set the scene.)

Ok. So there I am right. Its my leg day and Ive already done 2 sets 10 reps with 315 on squat. Im sitting across from the squat rack looking at it, legs begging for me to stop. I have this pissed of look on my face. You know the one Im talking about. Like a man about to go to war.

I couldnt have been sitting there for more than 30 seconds and this real tall skinny guy walks up. And he asks,

Hey sir, How many more sets you got. I said well Ive got 2 more. one with that weight and then a light set.

He said oh ok. Man that looks like a bunch of weight for you. I said why.

Well, your kind of a short guy I mean dont you think that might be kind of heavy for you?

Now I cant realy tell this guy to fuck off because of being in the military.

So I say nicely did you not see me just do 2 sets of that.

No I just walked in.

Oh ok. Then let me show you something.

I walked over to the rack added two 25’s on each side. Now Im at 365. (just pure anger now.)

I get under it and commence to doing my reps.

I manage to push out 7 with stars showing in my eyes and my face as read as a fire truck. And I mean good reps all but the last. I didnt go down as far on the last I have to admit.

I rack it and say how about that for a short guy. You wanna give it a shot. Because I know there is no way in hell you can get that up ever in your life. Not one ounce of it.

Of course he said no.

So I told him the next time you want to give someone advice about lifting start with yourself. And dont mess with people when they are lifting. If you dont know what you are talking about.

Just wondering if anybody else had anythig like this happen to them.

Goku

Nice job on the PR. Maybe you should have deflected bullets off your chest or maybe cut the squat rack in half with your laser eye beams. That would really get your point across.

Yes, that’s real annoying and yes, you should have told him to fuck off.

There are plenty of dick-heads in the military who don’t know what the hell they’re doing and realy degrade the quality of the military, don’t hold back because you respect the brave ones who deserve it.

On the other hand, you realy shouldn’t change your routine or plan to show off to some prick. Why let that jerk affect your workout?

Should have just told him that some day, with some hard work, he may be able to do the same.

Oh, and I have had something simmilar happen to me recently.
A guy came up to me while doing weighted dips and asked “Can I ask you a question?” (I should have told him he already did, but he seemed cool about it).

Him:“Do your elbows hurt when you do those?”

Me: “No”

Him: “Well, I was able to bench 5 plates once and that excersise ruined my elbows. I couldn’t even hold 5 pounds up my elbow was so screwed up.”

Me: “Okay”

Him: “Yea, I try to tell anyone I see doing them, but most don’t believe me and just do them anyway.”

Me: “Okay I’ll take that into consideration if my elbows ever start hurting. Thanks”

Then he shakes his head as he walks away and as I continue my sets as planned.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1128648547611.SS_blast_wave.gif

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
Nice job on the PR. Maybe you should have deflected bullets off your chest or maybe cut the squat rack in half with your laser eye beams. That would really get your point across.[/quote]

I thought about doing that but I decided that it would be easyer to just hit the squat rack with one of these.

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
Yes, that’s real annoying and yes, you should have told him to fuck off.

There are plenty of dick-heads in the military who don’t know what the hell they’re doing and realy degrade the quality of the military, don’t hold back because you respect the brave ones who deserve it.

On the other hand, you realy shouldn’t change your routine or plan to show off to some prick. Why let that jerk affect your workout?
[/quote]
Well, true. But I just cant stand when somebody comes up to me and says something about the weight I am doing. Or jacks with me when I am lifting. I mean I can hadle questions and stuff like that to help someone. But, just to mess with me I cant stand it.

[quote]

I’m going to chime in here.

One time I was doing real light sets of squats, I think the 2x25 from Quattro Dynamo. I don’t remember if they were front or back, but it’s irrelevant.

This guy comes up to me in the middle of a set, and asks me if he can ask me something, or something to that effect. I give him a “13 or so out of 25 reps done my brain is gonna explode, why are you talking to me!” look and he starts to explain to me that I shouldn’t be doing my squats the way I was.

He tried to explain why my toes shouldn’t be past my toes etc, etc. I tried to explain to him how I thought that was bullshit and just increased forces elsewhere in the kinetic chain and how sports players execute similar movements all the time to no detriment. He uttered something about being a personal trainer and how he could do “400 pounds if he didn’t care about form”. My training partner at the time was laughing the whole time mind you…

I couldn’t and still can’t believe he came up to me in the middle of the set. As if he expected my kneecaps to shoot out and roll across the floor before I completed the set.

The worst part is he then put a belt on and executed the shittiest quarter squat with the knees behind the toes I’ve ever seen.

[quote]Goku_SS4 wrote:
Now Im in the military so the gym I go to on the training side of base is small but there is hardly anybody in there. (just to set the scene.)

Ok. So there I am right. Its my leg day and Ive already done 2 sets 10 reps with 315 on squat. Im sitting across from the squat rack looking at it, legs begging for me to stop. I have this pissed of look on my face. You know the one Im talking about. Like a man about to go to war.

I couldnt have been sitting there for more than 30 seconds and this real tall skinny guy walks up. And he asks,

Hey sir, How many more sets you got. I said well Ive got 2 more. one with that weight and then a light set.

He said oh ok. Man that looks like a bunch of weight for you. I said why.

Well, your kind of a short guy I mean dont you think that might be kind of heavy for you?

Now I cant realy tell this guy to fuck off because of being in the military.

So I say nicely did you not see me just do 2 sets of that.

No I just walked in.

Oh ok. Then let me show you something.

I walked over to the rack added two 25’s on each side. Now Im at 365. (just pure anger now.)

I get under it and commence to doing my reps.

I manage to push out 7 with stars showing in my eyes and my face as read as a fire truck. And I mean good reps all but the last. I didnt go down as far on the last I have to admit.

I rack it and say how about that for a short guy. You wanna give it a shot. Because I know there is no way in hell you can get that up ever in your life. Not one ounce of it.

Of course he said no.

So I told him the next time you want to give someone advice about lifting start with yourself. And dont mess with people when they are lifting. If you dont know what you are talking about.

Just wondering if anybody else had anythig like this happen to them.

Goku[/quote]

wow. now thats some kind of insecurity.

[quote]Goku_SS4 wrote:
But, just to mess with me I cant stand it.

[/quote]

Hey, maybe he wasn’t trying to mess with you at all, maybe he was hitting on you. :wink:

Things like this have been happening to me a lot lately and it is annoying. Mostly because I just don’t want to be interrupted in the middle of my workout.

I either just stop them right away and say, time for my set I’ll talk to you later.

Or if I am in the mood to fuck with people and they are extra annoying, I do one of the following.

I am Asian, I don’t actually speak anything resembling an Asian language, but I do a good accent. So I will lay it on super thick and start saying weird shit. They go away quickly.

I do speak, or used to speak a Scandinavian language. At this point it has been so long, I would be laughed out of the room by a native speaker, but it is so obscure here that when I pretend I don’t speak English and that comes out, people just about fall over. And they go away quickly.

“Hey sir, How many more sets you got. I said well Ive got 2 more. one with that weight and then a light set.”

Why did you continue past “Ive got 2 more” ? It sounded like he was being respectful enough, but then you practically invited him to comment by explaining the weights you were going to use.

I don’t think he was even trying to be insulting. Maybe he was impressed by the weights and couldn’t think of anything else to say. Implying that shorter people can’t squat as much makes no sense anyway, so why take it as an insult?

why didn’t you whip out your dick and compre sizes?

Honestly though i hate these mother frickers that work out in my gym. They walk around like they own it. They are light bulbs with shoes and baseball caps on. I’ve been in there 3x the last 6 days and each time they seem to piss me off more. I stay with my workout but damn it pisses me off.

Like I said they walk around like they own it, doing preacher curls, doing shrugs in the power rack with minimal weight, sitting on equipment forever. I’m in there for an intense workout, not this talk on the phone, walk around and pimp the ladies bullshit they call working out. Makes me so pissed I want to lift weights, shit.

[quote]Mikazuki wrote:
“Hey sir, How many more sets you got. I said well Ive got 2 more. one with that weight and then a light set.”

Why did you continue past “Ive got 2 more” ? It sounded like he was being respectful enough, but then you practically invited him to comment by explaining the weights you were going to use.[/quote]

I don’t agree. To me saying that would reinforce the fact that he’s only got 2 sets left. Some guys say they’ve got a couple of sets left and they are talking out their ass; then you’ll see them do 6 more.

[quote]Sabrina wrote:
I am Asian, I don’t actually speak anything resembling an Asian language, but I do a good accent. So I will lay it on super thick and start saying weird shit. They go away quickly.[/quote]

Priceless!!

I’ve found that being able to recognize when somebody’s just bein a jackoff allows me to respond in a way that shuts them the fuck up immediately.

[quote]Sabrina wrote:
Hey, maybe he wasn’t trying to mess with you at all, maybe he was hitting on you. :wink:

I am Asian, I don’t actually speak anything resembling an Asian language, but I do a good accent. So I will lay it on super thick and start saying weird shit. They go away quickly.

I do speak, or used to speak a Scandinavian language. At this point it has been so long, I would be laughed out of the room by a native speaker, but it is so obscure here that when I pretend I don’t speak English and that comes out, people just about fall over. And they go away quickly. [/quote]

That’s pretty funny. Lately I have noticed this guy, who is definitely NOT all that, I mean, like I am old, and this guy is OLDER hehe, who wears this stupid t-shirt advertising some kind of cooler drink on it… he seems to chat up all the females in the gym. Thing I don’t get is, they seem to talk to him for fairly long periods of time. I have to assume they are just being polite, cause he just looks like an ugly ole coot to me.

|/ 3Toes

Do your thing.Let him do his.

[quote]Mikazuki wrote:
“Hey sir, How many more sets you got. I said well Ive got 2 more. one with that weight and then a light set.”

Why did you continue past “Ive got 2 more” ? It sounded like he was being respectful enough, but then you practically invited him to comment by explaining the weights you were going to use.[/quote]

The reason I said I had 2 more plus a light set was so he would move on and not fuck with me. If some one tells me that then Im gone right after they tell me no more questions. And as far as being respectful we are both in the military so the sir and shit is an act to keep people from getting there asses ripped. He was just being professional as we say in the military.

[quote]

I don’t think he was even trying to be insulting. Maybe he was impressed by the weights and couldn’t think of anything else to say. Implying that shorter people can’t squat as much makes no sense anyway, so why take it as an insult?[/quote]

I think it was more his tone of voice that got me. You know that kind of I know it all type of shit.

And the short people cant squat thing doesnt make any sence. That just showed he didnt know what he was talking about.

And if he was inpressed by the weight why not say, Damn man thats alote of weight. How long did it take you to get to that. Can you maybe show me how to do a few reps.

Then I would have been glad to.

[quote]carter12 wrote:
I’ve found that being able to recognize when somebody’s just bein a jackoff allows me to respond in a way that shuts them the fuck up immediately.[/quote]

Once again the military thing comes into play.

Believe me I would have loved to do that. But, say he was an NCO or an Officer and I got ignorant with him then the next thing you know im standing in front of my commander for disrespet to an NCO or Officer.

[quote]redfreddy wrote:
Goku_SS4 wrote:

wow. now thats some kind of insecurity.[/quote]

How? Im insecure in my lifting because some one who doesnt know what they are talking about comes up and starts rambling nonsence so I prove him wrong.

If he would have had something usefull to say I would have been glad to listen. I am always trying to learn something new and improve myself. If is good I use it and give it a shot if the guy thinks it could help.

If it doesnt work I go back to the way I was doing it before.

This guy was just saying nonsence.

[quote]hardcore_balla wrote:
why didn’t you whip out your dick and compre sizes?
[/quote] I hate to say it but I think I would have lost that one for sure.
(did i just say that out loud?) :o[quote]

Honestly though i hate these mother frickers that work out in my gym. They walk around like they own it. They are light bulbs with shoes and baseball caps on. I’ve been in there 3x the last 6 days and each time they seem to piss me off more. I stay with my workout but damn it pisses me off.

Like I said they walk around like they own it, doing preacher curls, doing shrugs in the power rack with minimal weight, sitting on equipment forever. I’m in there for an intense workout, not this talk on the phone, walk around and pimp the ladies bullshit they call working out. Makes me so pissed I want to lift weights, shit.
[/quote]

I know what you mean man. Its the worst when you trying to get on some equipment and you’ve already asked them how many more sets and there like oh just 1. Then they sit there and bullshit with each other like nobody is in the gym but them and everything belongs to them.

I hate that shit too man.

[quote]The3toedSloth wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
Hey, maybe he wasn’t trying to mess with you at all, maybe he was hitting on you. :wink:

I am Asian, I don’t actually speak anything resembling an Asian language, but I do a good accent. So I will lay it on super thick and start saying weird shit. They go away quickly.

I do speak, or used to speak a Scandinavian language. At this point it has been so long, I would be laughed out of the room by a native speaker, but it is so obscure here that when I pretend I don’t speak English and that comes out, people just about fall over. And they go away quickly.

That’s pretty funny. Lately I have noticed this guy, who is definitely NOT all that, I mean, like I am old, and this guy is OLDER hehe, who wears this stupid t-shirt advertising some kind of cooler drink on it… he seems to chat up all the females in the gym. Thing I don’t get is, they seem to talk to him for fairly long periods of time. I have to assume they are just being polite, cause he just looks like an ugly ole coot to me.

|/ 3Toes
[/quote]

Hell, 3Toes he may be the Mack Daddy of all time.

But, I dont think so.

I think your right there just being polite. But, I hate to see guys in there that arent lifting to better themselves there just in there kind of half assed trying. And all they are doing is trying to get some chick to hook up with them.

I mean im there to lift not to look pretty or smell good. Now dont get me wrong deodorant is good here people. But not Cool Water cologne or some shit like that.

I dont carry my cell phone and If I could find a place without a mirror for me to workout at I would. Because I am not there to flex and look at myself.

I dont know about yall. But, I came to the gym to have fun and hit my workout as hard as I can. Because I love lifting.

Not mess with people.