Why Mayweather would beat Pacquaio

Yep, I’m starting it. But I thought this video so interesting that it was worth sharing.

This is a breakdown of the tactics and strategy Marquez used to continually beat up on Pacquaio throughout their four fights, and I think it’s stuff that Mayweather would pick up on and exploit to even greater affect.

Thoughts?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Yep, I’m starting it. But I thought this video so interesting that it was worth sharing.

This is a breakdown of the tactics and strategy Marquez used to continually beat up on Pacquaio throughout their four fights, and I think it’s stuff that Mayweather would pick up on and exploit to even greater affect.

Thoughts?

Of course it’s a terrible match up for Manny. I would only give Manny a slim chance of winning on the basis that Freddie has had the closest game plan to beating Floyd. I think he knows how to beat him but getting his fighter to adhere to his plan is an entirely different story. Also, with the Marquez fight (the last one) it looked like Manny was going to maybe end up finishing Juan up until the KO and they’ve fought each other so many times that Juan finally understood how to win. Also, it was really obvious that Juan was juicing for that fight, if juiced up Juan fought Floyd maybe it’s a different fight.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
I think he knows how to beat him but getting his fighter to adhere to his plan is an entirely different story.
[/quote]

This. Exactly this. The fact that in this video, Freddie shows the angle Pac needs to take to counter Marquez’s footwork, and in the fight Pac NEVER does it - in fact he does the opposite - is proof of that.

Good video. I think it is fair to say that any technical faults that JMM can exploit would be giant gaping holes to Floyd. Really I think Marquez is amazing, but Mayweather is almost preternatural. The only possible category where Floyd might be easier for Pacquaio is that Marquez may pack a bit more into his punches than Floyd.

I also thing Pacquaio is aging/slowing faster than Mayweather (who might wake up old one day soon but never really even looked bad in a fight). I thought it was a pick’um fight 4-5 years ago, and I would have been rooting for Pac-man. Now I don’t think anyone should doubt a Mayweather victory.

Regards,

Robert A

Floyd would beat Pac pretty handily, 8-4 or 9-3 in my opinion. Floyd’s counter punching would turn Manny aggression against him. I think that with Manny being a Southpaw and his footwork giving him angles, it might give him some trouble, BUT Floyd would still win the exchanges due to better punching.

I think to beat Floyd, you need a long jab. Like De La Hoya before he was drained and gassed out. a fighter who has a reach advantage and a great jab is the only type that could have a chance against Floyd.

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
Floyd would beat Pac pretty handily, 8-4 or 9-3 in my opinion. Floyd’s counter punching would turn Manny aggression against him. I think that with Manny being a Southpaw and his footwork giving him angles, it might give him some trouble, BUT Floyd would still win the exchanges due to better punching.

I think to beat Floyd, you need a long jab. Like De La Hoya before he was drained and gassed out. a fighter who has a reach advantage and a great jab is the only type that could have a chance against Floyd.[/quote]

I was impressed with what Cotto did with his jab against Mayweather.

For me- the logic that Marquez is equal or greater than Pacquiao;
And in light of Mayweathers beating comprehensive victory over, Floyd MUST be greater than Manny -
It doesn’t quite ring true.
The oft-repeated cliche “styles make fights” could have been forged for this scenario.

When looking for weaknesses many put forward the arguement that Mayweather finds southpaws difficult.
Mayweather has fought 7 southpaws of note- and of course holds 7 wins, but sometimes without the usual comfort that has become his custom.
DeMarcus Corley caught FMJ with some quality scores before his eventual demise.
Zab Judah was unfortunate not to be accredited with a knockdown of FMJ and posed somewhat an enigma for 6 rounds.
Victor Ortiz actually put some pressure on FMJ, but his success was limited by his own temperment.
I think the chart refelcts a more thoughtful approach by Mayweather. Some might say cautious.

This can be largely attributed to Mayweathers stance.
With his left leg way out in front and boxing almost side on, Mayweather has a style- tailor made, for making right handers miss and appear clumsy.
This is all done masterfully, but is not designed for use against world class southpaws.
Mayweather seems to have a set gameplan- neutralise his opponents attack and then implement specific strategies to break down the opponent. I’m thinking of the jab to the body vs. Corrales, the check hook vs. Hatton or the straight right vs. Gatti/ODLH/JMM.
Against Southpaws; “complicated” may be the wrong term- but this gameplan has been delayed when faced with a lefty (again reflected in the chart.)

Without exception his fights vs. Southpaws have illustrated a process of understanding before mastery.
Against Zab Judah, Mayweather took his time figuring the style out- he adjusted (to a very traditional stance and defence) and went on to school Judah for the last six.
Chop Chop gave Mayweather a good fight- but as the story unfolded Mayweather became increasingly dominant as he learned on the job. It took time- it was gradual and saw Mayweather less invulnerable than we expect early.
Could this pose problematic against an aggressive, hard hitting southpaw with speed to burn.
Yes it could. Maybe.

For me, Mayweather’s best asset has been his ability to control the pace of a fight.
In a thread I read through yesterday our very own Robert A stated that Mayweather sometimes does not prevent and sometimes even allows opponents to clinch him.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. When in a clinch, there is a restriction on what action can actualy happen.

Floyd rushes fighters when it suits him and kills the action when fighters seek to take the initiative.
He has a unique understanding of the ebb and flow of a fight; when to expend energy and when to drain his opponents.
And this is where Pacquiao adds a unique element.

“The way to beat Floyd is to outwork him every minute of every round. Manny is the only fighter capable of executing that game plan. Activity kills Mayweather. You need to stay busy against him and not let him dictate the pace by slowing down the fight,” said Roach, who was a five-time Boxing Writers Association of America’s (BWAA) Trainer of the Year.

Pacquiao will not have a pace dictated to him. It occured to me during the Morales fight that he was forcing Erik to engage in a contest he was not comfortable with. His constant in/out movement and spontaneous attack was damaging physically- but mentally exhausting.
For Mayweather, this will be his first opponent above 140lbs to present this sort of equation.

In saying all this, I think Mayweather will STOP Pacquiao should they meet.
I just think the arguement is there and this is the combat sub-forum after all haha.

Nice video Irish. I love videos that break down fights.
Mayweather by UD now, and Mayweather by UD if they had fought in their primes.

donnydarkoIRL,

Thank you for that post. Fantastic write up, and great to get a pro’s take on this.

I hope the lurkers on this board appreciate the value of having you around.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:
donnydarkoIRL,

Thank you for that post. Fantastic write up, and great to get a pro’s take on this.

I hope the lurkers on this board appreciate the value of having you around.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

X-2 on this, always enjoy your insight on boxing and hope you continue.

Also, if LondonBoxer is lurking around, you need to start posting more, miss you take on things, hope everything is ok.

I’m a big Pacquiao fan…but he is easily the underdog in that fight. But he is an exciting fighter and a likeable person, while Mayweather is pretty much the opposite of that, so no wonder people want to see Manny beat him.
If Maidana beats Mayweather it becomes a more interesting conversation…but I have some pretty big doubts about that too, even though I really like Maidana.

this is funny. Stephen a smith needs to shut up tho. at 1 point he tries to starting telling manny about boxing lol. hes like a kid, he keeps jumping in on both of em. manny is a genuine, light hearted guy. so easy to like. mayweather wins all day for me.

marquez is such a classy operator. loved these videos. would have love to seen him mix it with cotto at 147.