Why Lie?

[quote]Fishlips wrote:
I actually once had a girlfriend that I started to notice lied about lots of different things - even absolutely meaningless stuff. I observed her tell someone we ran into while in a terrible fight that she was ‘great’ and she did it with a smile while I could hardly muster a response to the individual.

I asked her how she did it and she just said “lots of practice”.

A little while after we broke up, during a civil conversation, I told her I thought she was a pathological liar. She denied it saying she wasn’t lying to me right then and I said how it doesn’t mean everything that comes out of her mouth is a lie.

Moral - I learned that lying is a trait of insecure people. The worse the lying the deeper the insecurity. Depending on how much they lie, the propensity to lie becomes so ingrained in their normal dealings they don’t think twice about it.

They try to ‘control’ the information you get through their lies fearing without it you will see through them and won’t like them, won’t respect them etc.

It takes self-confidence, humility and a moral barometer to speak only the truth and deal with reality and other’s knowledge of it when it concerns you.
[/quote]

I had a girlfriend like that. It was my inability to trust her and a lot of other things that led to us breaking up. Mostly, though, it was my inability to trust her, especially during sex (for some reason, she just didn’t have sincere orgasms. Since faking orgasms is the biggest sin in the book for me (I would very much refuse contact of any kind with ANYONE who fakes an orgasm with me), this lead to a lot of stress).

As to why people lie on the internet, the internet is a magical place, where you can be ANYTHING you want to be. At least, it used to be that way. Now the internet actually has ways to check facts, but those are still woefully underused. Its that reason most people I talk to don’t trust me when I say “Fish oil tablets are really good for you. So is sprinting and lifting heavy weights. I read it on the internet.”

EVERYTHING is on the internet is assumed to be a lie until it appears in print. Sadly, a lot of the stuff in print is a lie, and lacks the ease of access to fact-checking that the internet has.

-Gendou

it would be fairly easy to say “I was only kidding” or something along those lines. Anyway I can race this guy next year when I move up a age class.

I think it is funny to answer questions in kgs instead of lbs.

Person: “How much you bench”
Me: 190

Ha ha. The look look of satisfaction is always nice when they are thinking they can bench/squat whatever more than me. :slight_smile: