Why Lie?

I know people like to lie on the internet. I don’t know why exactly they do it. The people that go so far to defend it I can’t understand at all. For example: I was talking to a guy who trains at the local club (on MSN) and he told me that last week he ran 53.35 in the 400 meters.

I checked the results he only ran 55.3, I called him out and he refused to admit he was lying.

Why?

Then he asked about my mile time (I told him) and he blew up at me and started calling me a prick.

People can hide behind their computers all they want but when the evidence is so clear they are lying why do some people carry on?

People lie in cases like you stated most of the time because life is very harsh and they simply aren’t happy with who they are. Oh well, at least that’s not you…Right? : )

I suppose some people get the thrill of “really getting one over on everybody”.

I used to worry about people thinking I was lying. Especially about my past squat and deadlift numbers.

Then I realized there were people that weighed 50 lbs less than me were doing more so I stopped worrying.

I don’t know why some people lie. I don’t even have proof. Just a suspicion. The last time I respectfully questioned a kid about his curling, he went and posted a video of him actually doing it… I keep my mouth shut more often now!

I have to preface this by saying that I’m a big nerd and used to spend every waking moment playing mmorpgs…that being said, my very favorite Internet lie is when guys pretend to be girls in these online games. Guys fall in love with these other guys pretending to be girls and then the truth comes out and drama ensues. Feelings are hurt, forums seethe with tumult, gossip circulates.
It’s just sooooooo funny, it’s almost worth playing them again just to witness that kind of crap, alas I have a semblance of a life now.

Almost as funny are the people who scam men out of their real money in chat rooms. I think I saw that on 20/20 in conjunction with nigerian scams.

I think it’s an ego thing, and a ‘I’m better than you are’ thing as well. If people can feel they are better than another, they will lie about something.

In your case Welsh, I think the guy was just trying to impress you, and I don’t think he thought you would actually look up his numbers.

When you called him out on it, he essentially had no comeback and called you a prick (which you are not a prick for telling the truth), but it was his way of telling you he’s better than you.

In essence, I think people lie just to impress someone, and that the person is going to take the word of that individual as truth, not knowing the actual result.

I am guilty of lying! I turned this guy down saying I was busy when he asked me out.

I kind of like white lies. Are we talking all lies or can we give some leeway to white lies?

What, me lie? No no, I really can bench press 650 pounds! I swear!

Also I can’t confirm this fully, maybe you guys can help. Is there a level 5 athletics coaching award? I always thought they only did up to level 4. I can see why some people quit at a lot of things with people like this guy. I have the msn chat log if anyone is interested.

[quote]derek wrote:

Then I realized there were people that weighed 50 lbs less than me were doing more so I stopped worrying.

I[/quote]

It wasn’t that his time was quicker than mine, its that he refused to let the lie go and when I called him out he made up more lies to try and cover it.

[quote]Welsh Warrior wrote:
derek wrote:

I

It wasn’t that his time was quicker than mine, its that he refused to let the lie go and when I called him out he made up more lies to try and cover it.[/quote]

No no, I understand your issue was different that what I had written.

I have no idea why he’d do that. It’s far, far better to suck up getting busted or claim it was a typo. Once you get caught, you cannot lie your way out.

I guess people figure no one will do his/her research like you did.

Either way, that’s a crappy time. He shouldn’t be bragging at all. If you’re going to lie, at least break 50 seconds for crying out loud.

[quote]Welsh Warrior wrote:
Also I can’t confirm this fully, maybe you guys can help. Is there a level 5 athletics coaching award? I always thought they only did up to level 4.[/quote]

Yes you’re correct; the UK Athletics Coaching pathway only reaches level four, unlike other NGBs such as the RFU with whom one can ultimatly become a level five coach.

:slight_smile:

People don’t lie on the internet. You should be more trusting. Your just jealous because you can’t squat 915 for reps like me. If you have to tell yourself I’m lieing to feel better, go ahead.

P.S. I can also do 738 cock push ups continuously.

[quote]A_Spence wrote:

Yes you’re correct; the UK Athletics Coaching pathway only reaches level four, unlike other NGBs such as the RFU with whom one can ultimatly become a level five coach.

[/quote]

Thought so.

I have a really, really big dick.

There are two separate issues. First, why do people lie. Second, when people are caught lying, why do they not let go of the lie.

The first question is easier to answer. People like to obtain some advantage they would not otherwise have. People, don’t, for example, tell untruths that make them look uglier, weaker, or poorer!

On the Internet, liars are looking for propers and respect. This is pathetic, but much of what we humans do is pathetic.

To me, the more interesting issue is: Why do people hold onto their lies when they have been caught red handed? Why not just “man up” and say: “I was busted. I was wrong. I’m sorry.”

I don’t have an answer to this second question, though I have some ideas.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
To me, the more interesting issue is: Why do people hold onto their lies when they have been caught red handed? Why not just “man up” and say: “I was busted. I was wrong. I’m sorry.”

I don’t have an answer to this second question, though I have some ideas.[/quote]

Odds are if you are a liar you don’t possess the integrity necessary to “man up” and take responsibility for your actions/words.

I actually once had a girlfriend that I started to notice lied about lots of different things - even absolutely meaningless stuff. I observed her tell someone we ran into while in a terrible fight that she was ‘great’ and she did it with a smile while I could hardly muster a response to the individual.

I asked her how she did it and she just said “lots of practice”.

A little while after we broke up, during a civil conversation, I told her I thought she was a pathological liar. She denied it saying she wasn’t lying to me right then and I said how it doesn’t mean everything that comes out of her mouth is a lie.

Moral - I learned that lying is a trait of insecure people. The worse the lying the deeper the insecurity. Depending on how much they lie, the propensity to lie becomes so ingrained in their normal dealings they don’t think twice about it.

They try to ‘control’ the information you get through their lies fearing without it you will see through them and won’t like them, won’t respect them etc.

It takes self-confidence, humility and a moral barometer to speak only the truth and deal with reality and other’s knowledge of it when it concerns you.