Why is This Test Answer Wrong?

I’m studying for my FE and came across something that I found weird.

I answered the question based on my calcs, and since both C&D were the same I just chose one.

Weird.

Looks like a bug/typo.

Yeah looks like a bug to me, why else would there be 2 identical answers?

Probably a typo. They probably wanted answer D to say 1000m/sec

It just begs the question “when is 900m/sec NOT 900m/sec?”

PS what’s your FE?

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
It just begs the question “when is 900m/sec NOT 900m/sec?”[/quote]

When Chuck Norris is the one who fired the gun.

[quote]JLu wrote:
PS what’s your FE?[/quote]

FE is the Fundamental Engineering Test

same as “EIT” engineer in training

i’m taking it b/c i’ve been out of college for a while and haven’t used 90% of what i learned and don’t want to forget any of it. who knows whats gonna happen in the job market. gotta be prepared!

And don’t you know to always pick C when in doubt?

Here we go. First convert 3000 RPM into Revolutions per Second, which is 50 RPS.

Now convert to what 1 Rev/Second is. 1/50 = .02 seconds for one Revolution.

So we have 1 Revolution = .02 seconds. The 20 degree is 20/360 or 1/18th of a Revolution. (Math is .02/18).

20 degrees = 1.111 x 10^-3 Seconds. Invert that and you get exactly 900m/second.

BG

I’m so glad that taking it was a requirement to graduate from my college. Luckily, I got exactly a 70, which is what I needed to pass. When I took it, it was the last time they allowed graphing calculators and mine could do integrals and derivations on it, wohoo!

[quote]B rocK wrote:
JLu wrote:
PS what’s your FE?

FE is the Fundamental Engineering Test

same as “EIT” engineer in training

i’m taking it b/c i’ve been out of college for a while and haven’t used 90% of what i learned and don’t want to forget any of it. who knows whats gonna happen in the job market. gotta be prepared![/quote]

So this test is to get INTO engineering or to GRADUATE engineering? I’m confused because it’s different in Canada.

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
Here we go. First convert 3000 RPM into Revolutions per Second, which is 50 RPS.

Now convert to what 1 Rev/Second is. 1/50 = .02 seconds for one Revolution.

So we have 1 Revolution = .02 seconds. The 20 degree is 20/360 or 1/18th of a Revolution. (Math is .02/18).

20 degrees = 1.111 x 10^-3 Seconds. Invert that and you get exactly 900m/second.

BG[/quote]

He got that right, the point is that there are two identical correct answers.

It’s a bug.

Shoulda seen the progression error.

What a daft way to measure muzzle velocity.

[quote]TKDCadet04 wrote:
I’m so glad that taking it was a requirement to graduate from my college. Luckily, I got exactly a 70, which is what I needed to pass. When I took it, it was the last time they allowed graphing calculators and mine could do integrals and derivations on it, wohoo![/quote]

What is this? My calculus class doesn’t allow us to any type of calculators…or formula sheets. What the fuck? I hate calculus.

Who’s to say it’s not 47 m/s? Might as well throw the bullet with your bare hands.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
TKDCadet04 wrote:
I’m so glad that taking it was a requirement to graduate from my college. Luckily, I got exactly a 70, which is what I needed to pass. When I took it, it was the last time they allowed graphing calculators and mine could do integrals and derivations on it, wohoo!

What is this? My calculus class doesn’t allow us to any type of calculators…or formula sheets. What the fuck? I hate calculus. [/quote]

Same with me, no calculator, no formula sheet.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
TKDCadet04 wrote:

What is this? My calculus class doesn’t allow us to any type of calculators…or formula sheets. What the fuck? I hate calculus. [/quote]

For Calc I you can get away with out a graphing calculator, the more advanced courses require them. It does depend on the school too, some Engineering courses are calculus-based and you’ll need the calculator once you get deeper into them.

Success in calculus is dependent on a good instructor that can cut away all the BS and focus on what’s important.

BG

Were the instructions to select the first correct answer? Just kidding, it must be a typo.

The FE/EIT in the U.S. is basically a post-graduate certification that shows yourself and perspective companies “I know THIS much still” haha, but I’m using it to keep my base of knowledge up since I’ve been out of school for a bit.

I wish I had to take it to graduate, I would have killed it straight out of college. Dammit!