T Nation

Why is This Not Working?

I am coming off a great summer program that i made awesome gains, but I changed my workout up to cut it up but i am not seeing any results, it just seems that i am putting on more muscle than before.

I am currently doing everything 3x15 for 4-6 exerices, and cardio everyday. WTF? An example of my routine is squats 3x15 with 315, leg curls 3x15 @170, Lunges 3x20 w/ 45ilb. dumbells, Hack squats, and single leg curls. I had to start doing 2 different leg curls because i hurt my back a couple of months ago on straight legs and i am scared of doing them.

Also my diet is great except for those horrible late night binges that i want to kill myself in the morning for.

By “cut it up”, I am assuming that you are referring to fat loss/visible muscular definition. If that is the case, you will need to modify your diet. Also, high rep training is generally used for hypertrophy, which would explain your gains.

If you are on a cutting cycle, there are numerous programs on this site which are designed to aid your efforts. Classic 5x5, CW’s TTT, and CT’s mutation series are all wonderful. As previously stated, however, the main component is your diet.

If you would like more useful comments, post your training regimen, current diet (meal timing, P/F/C ratio, calories), body mass, height, and BF%.

eat less, lift heavier.

[quote]JC1157 wrote:
I am currently doing everything 3x15 for 4-6 exerices, and cardio everyday. WTF? An example of my routine is squats 3x15 with 315, leg curls 3x15 @170, Lunges 3x20 w/ 45ilb. dumbells, Hack squats, and single leg curls. I had to start doing 2 different leg curls because i hurt my back a couple of months ago on straight legs and i am scared of doing them.
[/quote]
During cutting it would be better to work with heavier weights and relatively lower volume, as you won’t have as much energy because of dieting.

So, instead of Squat 315 for 3x15 (which is awesome btw), do 400 for 3x5 (80-85% of 1RM), then rest of the stuff for 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps.

[quote]
Also my diet is great except for those horrible late night binges that i want to kill myself in the morning for.[/quote]
This may very well be the main reason you’re not progressing. Maybe you decreased calories too much from the start, so you end up being very hungry at night. Try spreading meals more evenly through the day, and slowly decrease calories every week.

Then, there’s a matter of cardio. Some people manage to lose weight just fine by not doing any, just weights and diet. I’m not one of those people, and maybe you need cardio too. In my expirience, as little as 15min of moderate intensity 3x per week makes a difference.