Why Is this NOT 'Politically Correct'?

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:
Give HH a break. He is not saying he would love to kill just anybody. He said he would love to kill the Taliban and Al Queda. I don’t know if any of you know this, but 9 years ago they flew a few planes into a couple buildings. They would also love to kill any of us. If he said he would love to join the millitary so he could just kill people, then yopu could call him a phsyco. A lot of people on 9/12 had his same view, and joined up to protect us. HH, you are welcome to any dinner party or cookout I ever have.

T[/quote]

Someone gets it!! Finally!!

People from the South are much more patriotic than Northerners. Maybe that explains some of this.
[/quote]

That is true. I think the snow does something to the brain. I went to Michigan a year ago, and I could tell a difference as soon as I made it out of Kentucky. Most on here would just say we are backward, uneducated, racist hate mongers.

[quote]kamui wrote:
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”[/quote]

An eye for an eye, A tooth for a tooth.

[quote]
An eye for an eye, A tooth for a tooth. [/quote]

it was the rule of a traditionnal grappling game popular amongst neolithic herders.

how is it related to our current debate ?

[quote]kamui wrote:

[quote]

it was the rule of a traditionnal grappling game popular amongst neolithic herders.

how is it related to our current debate ?[/quote]

Your post about becoming a monster seemed to me that you were suggesting that we overlook what they did, so we could not become a monster. I was just saying if they killed some of us, we should kill some of them.

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:

[quote]kamui wrote:

[quote]

Your post about becoming a monster seemed to me that you were suggesting that we overlook what they did, so we could not become a monster. I was just saying if they killed some of us, we should kill ALL of them.[/quote]

fixed.

i never suggested we should overlook anything, especially not what they did.
quite the contrary.

here “an eye for an eye” woud mean “they love to kill, so we love to kill, too”

if we do, we will become like them. fanatics. monsters.

sometimes, we have to kill to defend ourselves. i’m not disputing that.
but to defend our values we have to do it without bloodlust.

[quote]kamui wrote:
i never suggested we should overlook anything, especially not what they did.
quite the contrary.

here “an eye for an eye” woud mean “they love to kill, so we love to kill, too”

if we do, we will become like them. fanatics. monsters.

sometimes, we have to kill to defend ourselves. i’m not disputing that.
but to defend our values we have to do it without bloodlust.
[/quote]

It does not mean we love to kill. It means if you kill us we will kill you back.

I support our troops. I don’t support our policies. Military force is actually a terrible way to stop terrorist groups.

[quote]Abstract

How do terrorist groups end? The evidence since 1968 indicates that terrorist groups rarely cease to exist as a result of winning or losing a military campaign. Rather, most groups end because of operations carried out by local police or intelligence agencies or because they join the political process. This suggests that the United States should pursue a counterterrorism strategy against al Qa’ida that emphasizes policing and intelligence gathering rather than a “war on terrorism” approach that relies heavily on military force.
[/quote]

Also, sending drones to kill our “enemies” sounds great and all but drones happen to kill more civilians than “bad guys.” This is pretty counter productive to our national security as it does quite a bit to build anti-American sentiment in the region and serves as a good recruitment tool for the “enemies.”

[quote]SUPER-T wrote:

It does not mean we love to kill. It means if you kill us we will kill you back.
[/quote]

So does that mean you’re okay the people of Iraq coming here and bombing us, considering as a result of our war a hundred thousand or so Iraqi civilians, that had nothing to do with 9/11, have died?

All people can’t get along and based on any single feature, there’s probably people out there somewhere that could be provoked into killing you. Does not necessarily mean you have to go there and kill him (and accidentally his family as well, oops) “first”, as the chances of that being a necessity fade into non-existence. Maybe I’m just too pragmatic.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I would think that if I were running a drone over Pakistan and managed to kill some scumbags, I would joyfully chuckle with delight. I would love every minute of it. In fact, the thought makes me have a ‘Chris Matthews moment’ ( a thrill runs up my leg).
[/quote]

Lol.

I love your heroic/non-heroic posts Headhunter…

kinda like…

“Oh yeah, buddy? Well I’m gonna come right over there, hide in your garbage can, and snipe you in the back of the head when your not even expecting it.”

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

People from the South are much more patriotic than Northerners.
[/quote]

Which is why they fought a war so they wouldn’t have to call themselves citizens of the USA.

I doubt any of this story is close to true - after all, Headhunter doesn’t even have the courage to provide straightforward answers on an anonymous chatboard, so I’d be shocked to think that he’d do so in person with such self-described gusto - but even assuming it is, the military would be completely uninterested in someone with such a morally bankrupt position. With the attitude “I love to kill 'em!”, you put your fellow troops in danger - after all, you can’t be trusted to make discernible judgments in a high-pressure situation.

Example: bad guys come out of a cave and hold up their arms, drop their weapons and say “we surrender” - anyone trust Headhunter to hold fire and treat them as now prisoners-of-war?

And, could you imagine Headhunter in a pressure-packed tense situation where command decisions would have to be made? He’d melt down into a blubbering mess. While the rest of us would be trying to secure a position, he’d be laying on the ground, sucking his thumb and muttering something about the Illuminati.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I would think that if I were running a drone over Pakistan and managed to kill some scumbags, I would joyfully chuckle with delight. I would love every minute of it. In fact, the thought makes me have a ‘Chris Matthews moment’ ( a thrill runs up my leg).

So…I mention this at a dinner party of university faculty my wife and I attended…and they thought I was crazy, evil, or both! I would LOVE killing my country’s enemies and all these PC police-type people were flipping out! I also said how I send Care Packages to soldiers and one flabby bitch with the ugliest earrings I’ve ever seen asked: “Why do you send things to a murderer?” I said, “Just to piss off bitches like you!” and at that point my wife grabs me and we head for the door.

She (Mrs. HH) was laughing so hard most of the way home!! “I love how you talk to those people like that!!” Then, the night ended quite well later on :wink:

Anyway, what’s wrong with these fucking people? Killing your enemies IS GOOD, the dumb fucks!![/quote]

While we may not agree on every detail, you would fit right in at one of my parties, or dinner parties, kind of sounds like a statement made while watching lesnar get whooped 2 weekends back.

But I also come from Backwoods PA where we support those who sacrifice their lives for our freedom, however misguided the politics.

[quote]kamui wrote:

[quote]

Baaaa, sure you keep thinking that.

I always thought it was the law of retaliation or retribution depending on which period of rime or specific group of people you are talking about.

Next time I have Steelers party you get an invite. None of my friends are academics though, so it might not be much fun.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

So…I mention this at a dinner party of university faculty my wife and I attended…and they thought I was crazy, evil, or both! I would LOVE killing my country’s enemies and all these PC police-type people were flipping out! I also said how I send Care Packages to soldiers and one flabby bitch with the ugliest earrings I’ve ever seen asked: “Why do you send things to a murderer?” I said, “Just to piss off bitches like you!” and at that point my wife grabs me and we head for the door.

She (Mrs. HH) was laughing so hard most of the way home!! “I love how you talk to those people like that!!” Then, the night ended quite well later on :wink:

Anyway, what’s wrong with these fucking people? Killing your enemies IS GOOD, the dumb fucks!![/quote]

Spoken like someone who has never served and certainly not one that has ever been in a firefight. Spoken like a 12yr old emo kid that thinks he would love killing the enemy because he’s like awesome at Modern Warfare 3 and stuff. Chick at the dinner party=liberal douche for sure but your false bravado and immaturity ring loudly from your post.

Especially the fact that you would choose to operate a drone or be in a submarine ensuring that you wouldn’t have to get near the enemy and actually experience the killing firsthand. You are a blowhard and a pussy.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
I doubt any of this story is close to true - after all, Headhunter doesn’t even have the courage to provide straightforward answers on an anonymous chatboard, so I’d be shocked to think that he’d do so in person with such self-described gusto - but even assuming it is, the military would be completely uninterested in someone with such a morally bankrupt position. With the attitude “I love to kill 'em!”, you put your fellow troops in danger - after all, you can’t be trusted to make discernible judgments in a high-pressure situation.

Example: bad guys come out of a cave and hold up their arms, drop their weapons and say “we surrender” - anyone trust Headhunter to hold fire and treat them as now prisoners-of-war?

And, could you imagine Headhunter in a pressure-packed tense situation where command decisions would have to be made? He’d melt down into a blubbering mess. While the rest of us would be trying to secure a position, he’d be laying on the ground, sucking his thumb and muttering something about the Illuminati.[/quote]

Wow, nothing like incoherent rambling there, Boltboy.

It happened just exactly as told. My wife is a uni prof and is surrounded by liberals. On the 2 or 3 times per year when we have some gathering of faculty and significant others, someone brings up the war or whatnot. This time was about poor Barry and the evil Teapartiers, then it got into the war.

‘Blubbering mess’? I think you’d know more about that than anyone. And who said anything at all about command decisions? All I said was how I would LOVE to kill my country’s enemies. What would you do? Try and reason with them? Or give 'em a big sloppy kiss and ask them to be nice?

Your posts are going downhill the last year or so. Bad meds?

[quote]storey420 wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Spoken like someone who has never served and certainly not one that has ever been in a firefight. Spoken like a 12yr old emo kid that thinks he would love killing the enemy because he’s like awesome at Modern Warfare 3 and stuff. Chick at the dinner party=liberal douche for sure but your false bravado and immaturity ring loudly from your post.

Especially the fact that you would choose to operate a drone or be in a submarine ensuring that you wouldn’t have to get near the enemy and actually experience the killing firsthand. You are a blowhard and a pussy.[/quote]

Nope, never served, wish I had. I’ve written before that you young gents should sign up and do something for your country, instead of arguing with an old man on the web. So…since you’re arguing with an old man on the web, are you wasting your life, working at Wendy’s and playing video games until the wee hours of the morning? Yup.

Nice try douchebag, I am a vet, have served, am a divisional executive and don’t play video games. Nice ad hominem to avoid the crux of my point. Yep still a blowhard and a pussy.