Why is There So Much Bro-Science in Bodybuilding?

I get emails from Mike Chang.

Im on his mailing list. This guy is all about bro-science. He sends out emails talking about how chicken can lower testosterone and may be keeping you from getting ripped.

Are you kidding me here with this shit?

Why on earth would you be on Mike Changs mailing list? That was your first mistake. And regarding the bro science, I guess just because so much stuff is anecdotal. Everyone knows a guy who knows a big guy who said to do some dumb shit

To clarify, you are curious why a snakeoil salesman keeps selling you so much snakeoil?

did you get swole today?

Mike Chang.

/lulz

[quote]TheCB wrote:
did you get swole today?[/quote]

^while he slept?^

Q: Why is There So Much Bro-Science in Bodybuilding?

A: Because sometimes, maybe even a lot of the time, broscience works.

http://www.T-Nation.com/training/case-for-broscience

http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/1487

Hell, I feel like less of a man whenever I choose chicken over beef.

[quote]GetSwoleToday wrote:

Im on his mailing list. [/quote]

Idiot.

because the internet is relatively cheap and easy to use…

There is some truth to the low-fat lowers testosterone thing. Chicken is low fat.

I suspect he’s misinterpreting results like from the above study.

[quote]GetSwoleToday wrote:

Im on his mailing list.[/quote]

That’s a first.

Why is there so much bro-science?

I’ll answer this with more questions: how much real science is there? How well does that real scientific research translate to progressing in specific disciplines?

Furthermore, the human body is not a simple gasoline engine. I think it’s safe to say most everyone in bodybuilding, physique building or recreational lifting is interested in making notable changes in his or her physique, which naturally lends itself to self-applied, albeit anecdotal approaches. There isn’t longitudinal scientific research on every aspect of human physiology, but I find value in personal experiences with what has or has not worked for others - in the gym, at the dinner table, or with chosen supplements, among those who have worked hard and achieved noteworthy progress.

It really is only in the last 10 years or so that:

-The average person can actually find scientific studies fairly easily and quickly, and in the comfort of their own homes.
-There are actual studies being done that have direct application to meat-heads and gym rats everywhere.

And yes, as was mentioned, the internet gives every idiot who has gotten any type of results (or knows someone who did) a voice and with that, a feeling that their opinion matters just as much as those who have some type of credentials, qualifications, or actual reasons for others to listen to them.

S

Small sample sizes

Small population of potential subjects

No scientific studies

Most information even available is probably tainted by inaccuracy (intentional or not)

An understanding of the scientific method is a rarity in many different fields, especially ones where large sums of money are routinely available for extremely dubious results.

Look at the field of medicine and all the charlatans surrounding it. People want the magic bullet and are willing to devote large amounts of time and money to convincing themselves it exists.

The vast majority of people in the fitness industry are not intelligent, or at least they don’t understand science. The most frequent transgression is treating correlation as causation.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
The vast majority of people in the fitness industry are not intelligent, or at least they don’t understand science. The most frequent transgression is treating correlation as causation. [/quote]

I have this t-shirt :slight_smile:

Because you can do everything which science tells you, make good progress and some fucker will make far better progress in spite of himself. His word becomes gospel.