T Nation

Why Is There No Grammar?

u guyz that no how 2 spl grammer think ur sooo smart!

A cell phone with smoke signals! ROFLUMSH!!!

http://www.somethingawful.com/flash/shmorky/babby.swf

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
u guyz that no how 2 spl grammer think ur sooo smart!

A cell phone with smoke signals! ROFLUMSH!!![/quote]

Damn you Kruiser you uber kewl guy. ROFLUMSH?

The one thing that bothers me the most is the fact that no one seems to know how to spell the verb “lose” properly any more. If I see one more person write something about “loosing fat” or “loosing weight”, I’m going to openly weep.

What is even worse is that I am reviewing a presentation outside counsel put together (and this is one of the best firms in the country) and the associate who worked on this used “loose” and “loosing” instead of “lose” and “losing”. If it was one time, I can chalk that up to pure typo… but twice???

I guess $400 to $500 an hour doesn’t get you what it used to.

[quote]SSC wrote:

1.) The difference between they’re, there, and their - They’re… [/quote]

1a) misusing your & you’re. of course any non-phone use of uR is a punching offense.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
aznt0rk wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

Typing fast is no excuse. Slow down if have to write a correct sentence.

[/quote]
Personally I make any number of typos, but I just love you’re second sentence here.

jk; (your)

hhaha…you got me on that one! I meant to say, “Slow down in order to write a correct sentence” but started typing up something else at the same time and forgot to fix it! ha ha ha ha!

See I don’t mind TXT speak… if you’re TXTing me.

You might have something insightful and meaningful to say, but I guarantee most people will skip over it.

I’m in the same boat as Nate. I type fast, and do make occasional mistakes. It’s strangest thing, though, there’s this button that makes the letters disappear.

Dont really see the big deal. Only one in several hundred posts that I read are difficult to decipher. I dont honestly believe that you’re having problems reading that many posts.

Besides is it that surprising that on an internet forum members would use, gasp, internet lingo and abbreviations. People constantly alter their language according to context, be it on the phone, on the internet, with a spouse, with their friends, with an employer.

This shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, we do it everyday. The internet is seen as an informal (and I think rightfully so) medium. So get used to informal language. This will not change and will only get, in your opinion, worse. Interweb slang isn’t going to go away. It is going to become more prevalent.

I get the feeling that you are that guy who when someone asks “can I get a beer?” you respond with, “I dont know, can you?”

I’ve gotten used to the mixed up you’re/your, their/they’re/there and two/too/to etc, not that they don’t bother me, but I can almost live with them.

What bothers me now is used “ed” where a “st” should be (past, passed) and people saying “I could care less/could care more,” instead of “couldN’T,” seems like that would be a really easy one.

And why should we have to suck it up because it’s the interwebz? I’m 16, I abbreviate, to a degree, when I text and when I IM, but I’ve actually noticed that I abbreviate less now than I used to, typing out you in place of u.

Won’t using complete sentences and the like in an “informal” setting lessen your chances of screwing up in a formal writing situation? I hardly find what I’ve written so far “formal,” yet I used,

for the most part(I’m bound to have made a mistake, and without that I would be pounced upon), proper grammar and punctuation. I notice that when I would write papers after IMing for a good while that I would sometimes insert abbreviations and screw up my papers.

It seems people go out of their way to screw up grammar, punctuation, spelling, capitalization etc. 2 me it is alot(another one that annoys me) harder 2 right like this then 2 wright properlee.

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
Dont …

I get the feeling that you are that guy who when someone asks “can I get a beer?” you respond with, “I dont know, can you?”[/quote]

It’s don’t, but seriously… the carry-over between txt-speak & poor grammar in any work communication seems to be fairly directly related.

As communications in these forums are informal & conversational the language doesn’t have to be at a business level, but expecting people to decipher the pure drivel that gets posted sometimes is arrogant IMHO. (I’m not allergic to some use of acronyms, ;^)) (it did take me a bit of time to realize IIRC wasn’t a communication protocol though)

As to your last sentence, “Yes you may, and get me one too while you’re at it.”

[quote]SSC wrote:

1.) The difference between they’re, there, and their - They’re is a conjunction for the two words “they are.” An instance of this use would be “They’re going to go lift weights.” … [/quote]

Don’t you mean They’re is a CONTRACTION of the two words “They” and “Are” ?

One thing that really gets me is people who use “then” when they should use “than”.

I don’t know if this is a joke, but seriously…

Who’s ima, and where did her shift key go?

EDIT: gotta stop writing but seriously. I know, I must stop…

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
SSC wrote:

1.) The difference between they’re, there, and their - They’re is a conjunction for the two words “they are.” An instance of this use would be “They’re going to go lift weights.” …

Don’t you mean They’re is a CONTRACTION of the two words “They” and “Are” ?

One thing that really gets me is people who use “then” when they should use “than”.[/quote]

Yes, thank you! I knew it wasn’t the accepted term, but I couldn’t think of the word for the lift of me. I was just going to roll with it until someone caught it. :slight_smile:

And to HotCarl28 - Generally, posts will make sense and will be written somehwhat close to correctly. Maybe I’m just crazy, but there are DEFINITELY enough posts that I see (mostly floating around the BB forums, strangely,) that caused me to actually make a thread about piss-poor English. The sad thing is is that it’s something that does actually have to be called to attention. Ah, No Child Left Behind, how you serve us good.

A lot of the posters here went to public school in the US. Coincidence?

why is there are no grammar?*

[quote]ab_power wrote:
A lot of the posters here went to public school in the US. Coincidence?
[/quote]

Yes and no. It’s regional and cultural. Plus, I hate to make it sound like I’m putting myself on a platform, but when I hear people talking fluently and with good grammar, I tend to assume they’re more intelligent. I can then inferr the same thing when I see words with all of their vowels missing… fucking text speak.

I’ve noticed a lot of the times people get mixed up with “where” and “were”. I understand it can be a spelling error but do you not notice it when you type “Were are you going?” Does that not look strange at all? Especially when you are reading the sentence and you pronounce WERE and not WHERE. Fuck it, I’m getting some milk. Also I find it strange that I read over this post a couple times before sending…anyone else?

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
why is there are no grammar?*[/quote]

Dunno. What skule did u went?