Why Is There No Grammar?

Half of people on T-Nation dont no how to use good grammar and like to string all of theyr sentences 2gether it gets rilly annoying to read idk abiut u but i learnt how 2 use grammars in skool but apparently a lot of ppl didnt bcuz i constantly c verbal diarrhea all over the place and i went 2 the gym ysterday and i saw this kid doin cirkit training and i was all liek hey n00b thatz not how u train lol

Seriously, how fucking hard is it to type correctly? I literally know third graders that can type better than half of the people on this website. I can think of a few posters by name whose posts I won’t read because it’s all nonsense. Not a very good topic for a thread, but here’s a few cool tips for most of the people on T-Nation (2/3 of T-Nation?)

1.) The difference between they’re, there, and their - They’re is a conjunction for the two words “they are.” An instance of this use would be “They’re going to go lift weights.” There, on the other hand, can be used to describe a destination, an object, or or an introductory word to a statement. “There are not many people who use good grammar.” Finally, there’s their. A word used to describe something someone may possess. “Their NO Xplode is going to get them hyoooge.”

2.) Periods. I’m not talking about a monthly biological cycle, either. If you properly string words together, utilizing such concepts as “subjects,” “conjunctions,” and even “prepositional phrases,” you can put this nifty little dot at the end of those words. It’s called a period. It’s even got a few variations. One of them has a wierd stick over it to emphasize excitement for something: “People suck!” Then there’s also this neat one that has a funny-shaped line over it that helps allude to a ‘question’ the speaker may have. An example of this can be reflected with this: “Why is it no one can use good grammar?” Neato!

Well, this probably is the most pointless post ever made, but I’m okay with it. I think it’s better than me e-slaying all offenders on the site. If anyone either wants to tell me how lame I am or contribute, all comments are welcome!

cuz ur old

hasn’t this been talked about before ;p

They’re a lot of retarded people in this country.

b/c da intenez iz coo lik dat yoZ!!

honestly i hate it too. retards.

Since we are bitching, if you don’t capitalize and make an attempt at proper grammar and sentence structure, I instantly assume I am a lot smarter than you.

Trust me, that ain’t no fucking compliment.

It’s not just here that it’s happening either.

As part of my job, I’ve made a few apps for Facebook, and I swear the only one of my posts to get a response on their forums was one with the subject “Plz hlp me!!!1”. The others had subjects like “Using FBML in an iframe” and just got completely ignored.

Incidentally, the “plz hlp me” one got a reply from a member of the Facebook dev team and got sorted out pretty quickly… could have had something to do with me calling everyone on there a bunch of illiterate 14 year olds.

When I read posts by people who use text-speak, to/two/too etc. wrong, don’t capitalize, whatever - I assume that you talk the way you type, you mumble a lot, breathe through your mouth, and have a keyboard covered in drool.

I’m not obsessive about grammar on a board - after all, it is closer to an actual conversation than a legal brief - but for the love of God, show the language some respect.

And, while I’m in the mood for a rant (seriously, read my last two posts), there was a story run by The Register (UK tech news website) about how schools in the UK were considering relaxing / changing the grammatical rules of the English language because kids now a days find it tough to differentiate between their/there/they’re, too/to/two and find silent and double letters confusing. Does that strike anyone else as completely fucking moronic?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Since we are bitching, if you don’t capitalize and make an attempt at proper grammar and sentence structure, I instantly assume I am a lot smarter than you.

Trust me, that ain’t no fucking compliment. [/quote]

unless it’s something that i’m writing for work, i never capitalize anything. you can blame e.e. cummings for that. as for the general degradation of written language, i blame text messaging and people’s presumed need to get everything out of their brains that much faster. case in point, today i received a text saying, “CU at 12” instead of, “see you at 12.” now i can only hope that the six seconds that person saved using the abbreviated version was well spent.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

unless it’s something that i’m writing for work, i never capitalize anything. you can blame e.e. cummings for that. as for the general degradation of written language, i blame text messaging and people’s presumed need to get everything out of their brains that much faster. case in point, today i received a text saying, “CU at 12” instead of, “see you at 12.” now i can only hope that the six seconds that person saved using the abbreviated version was well spent.[/quote]

When you c them at 12. Punch them in the face for using a phone to send you a letter.

I always like to mention Joe Rogan’s thoughts on texting when this comes up:

“Who’s idea was it to mix the old dumb shit in with the new good shit? Now cell phones have texting and two-way walkie-talkie. Isn’t a phone BETTER than a fucking walkie talkie? Why are you sending me a message on a phone? It takes you four presses just to make a “S”, just fucking call me! What’s next, they gonna start making phones with smoke signals?”

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

unless it’s something that i’m writing for work, i never capitalize anything. you can blame e.e. cummings for that. as for the general degradation of written language, i blame text messaging and people’s presumed need to get everything out of their brains that much faster. case in point, today i received a text saying, “CU at 12” instead of, “see you at 12.” now i can only hope that the six seconds that person saved using the abbreviated version was well spent.

When you c them at 12. Punch them in the face for using a phone to send you a letter.

“Who’s idea was it to mix the old dumb shit in with the new good shit? Now cell phones have texting and two-way walkie-talkie. Isn’t a phone BETTER than a fucking walkie talkie? Why are you sending me a message on a phone? It takes you four presses just to make a “S”, just fucking call me! What’s next, they gonna start making phones with smoke signals?”

[/quote]

Texts kick some major ass. Especially if you’re trying to hook up with a lady.

But yeah, typing properly isn’t all that hard and I generally assume I’m smarter than anyone who doesn’t try.

I don’t think not using capitalization is too big of a deal, as long as the sentences still make sense. I almost think it’s an issue about a lack of courtesy, really. It’s difficult to read discomobulated posts, which is the exact same reason I don’t even try anymore.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

unless it’s something that i’m writing for work, i never capitalize anything. you can blame e.e. cummings for that. as for the general degradation of written language, i blame text messaging and people’s presumed need to get everything out of their brains that much faster.

case in point, today i received a text saying, “CU at 12” instead of, “see you at 12.” now i can only hope that the six seconds that person saved using the abbreviated version was well spent.

"Who’s idea was it to mix the old dumb shit in with the new good shit? Now cell phones have texting and two-way walkie-talkie. Isn’t a phone BETTER than a fucking walkie talkie?

Why are you sending me a message on a phone? It takes you four presses just to make a “S”, just fucking call me! What’s next, they gonna start making phones with smoke signals?"
[/quote]

I’ve said it before; I don’t mind text messages. It’s easier to just send a statement that doesn’t need a reply than to call, wait for an answer, say what you need to, and hang up. And that’s assuming that you only say the minimum in that phone call. You might get trapped into a conversation. I HATE phone conversations.

Blame it on text messaging.

And the fact that most kids are dumb and lazy these days.

Not to mention the poor quality of our schools.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:

Not to mention the poor quality of our schools.[/quote]

Yes, that is true. But I believe some others just type really fast and are to lazy to write proper sentences.

Oh no! IMing was around before texting. Most of the texting stuff was carryover from the IM world. LOL. I blame IMing, but yes texting has perpetuated it.

On a serious note it’s sad when I talk to my friend who’s a teacher (in a community college). She has 30 year old students that literally don’t know what paragraphs are. There are some serious failures in our education system.

I’m an engineer (not great with English), but there has to be some threshold level for basic literacy. I don’t know how some students make it as far as they do.

[quote]aznt0rk wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

Not to mention the poor quality of our schools.

Yes, that is true. But I believe some others just type really fast and are to lazy to write proper sentences.[/quote]

Is that it? They type too fast? I type nearly 100wpm, yet, if you read all of my posts, they all use proper and near perfect grammar, spelling, paragraphs, etc.

Typing fast is no excuse. Slow down if have to write a correct sentence.

Besides, when someone types a post or a reply like that, I don’t bother reading or responding - I figure they are too dumb to listen or actually comprehend what is being said. If someone wants advice or wants to give advice, they should do a better job of not sounding like a complete idiot.

i don’t usually capitalize either. but, i usually try to separate sentences enough so it makes reading a little easier.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:

Is that it? They type too fast? I type nearly 100wpm, yet, if you read all of my posts, they all use proper and near perfect grammar, spelling, paragraphs, etc.

Typing fast is no excuse. Slow down if have to write a correct sentence.

Besides, when someone types a post or a reply like that, I don’t bother reading or responding - I figure they are too dumb to listen or actually comprehend what is being said. If someone wants advice or wants to give advice, they should do a better job of not sounding like a complete idiot.

[/quote]

x2

Totally agree with you Nate. It’s not difficult to use full words and use grammar correctly. I also tend to disregard posts that are not at least close to legible.

Plus I’m very impressed at your 100wpm. Just think how fast you’ll be when you learn how to use more than two fingers! :wink: