Why is the Barbell So Popular?

Most of my very short lifting experience i experienced right(dominant)shoulder and rotator cuff pain/problems. I learned from books that i borrowed from librairies so i am part of the problem, i made mistakes.

I read a lot and many say barbell pressing is not suited for everyone. It seems some have shoulders designed for neutral grip.

There is no need to attack me from the train hard angle. Please select the train smart way.
Fire away !

EDIT 8:47 pm I have no clue if it makes any difference but i am very flexible.

I’m not quite sure what the question is?

Barbell pressing isn’t for everyone. I broke my clavicle being under a year old, and it never developed properly. I discovered pretty quickly that my structural deficiencies disallow the barbell from being optimal for me.

Having a dominant shoulder and rotator cuff issues are easily fixable issues, however. Read into brookstick stretches for your rotator cuff issues, and give extra help to your non-dominant shoulder to fix the issue - then assess if it’s good for you.

Thanks so much for your input. About 3 weeks ago i stopped using my right hand as much as possible so my left side upper body with lower body are only the ones being trained for now. I will do as you suggest.

[quote]BHappy wrote:
Thanks so much for your input. About 3 weeks ago i stopped using my right hand as much as possible so my left side upper body with lower body are only the ones being trained for now. I will do as you suggest.[/quote]

Good - In the meantime, having a good balance of dumbbell work (and pressing) along with your barbell work should help smoothen things out as well.

Good luck!

Again thanks so much !

EDIT 9:30 pm i did the 50 repetitions suggested. I will do them 3 times daily if not too painfull.

When I first started using a barbell, I got shoulder issues for the first time in my life. Never had issues with kettlebells or dumbbells or bodyweight work.

I never really figured out which exercises caused the most irritation; once they’d already gotten sore, pretty much anything made them worse. I tried laying off of things, hoping they’d “heal”, but they’d immediately get re-injured when I used them again.

But what made them better (at least so far), is a combination of broomstick stretches with a towel, forcefully pulling the ends of the towel away from each other… AND using 3-4 sets of moderate/high rep (12-15) standing overhead presses every couple days.

Provided you keep your midsection rigid, and make sure to pull your shoulder blades down and back, while pushing the bar up and back.

Some ideas, maybe they’ll help, maybe not. I was genuinely surprised that standing OHP made so much a difference though.

Yesterday evening i switched from rest (no real improvement) to rehab mode. I did 3 sets of broomstick(50 reps each) and sofar 1 today. Plus i did a 50 reps rubber band stretch today(pulling my hands apart. I will do 3 sets of 50 of each daily for 2-4 weeks. When i feel like it i will add your suggestion.

This morning in the gym i started using both hands/arms/shoulders with lower weights and less sets, 12 reppers.
I use a scarff allmost as long as i am tall(not a stick). I also started 1 set each hand each way(pulling in, pulling out rotator cuff pulley only 5 pounds. Will do them every other day on the easy side.

To be honest i will try dumbells/neutral grip before any barbell/straight bar.
Thanks guys for being helpfull.