Why is Soy in Everything?

Seriously the ingredient label on almost any product says contains soy or something similar. WHY??

I’ve just always assumed that it’s simply because of cost. Most store bought junk food that touts it’s protein content refers to soy protein, yet never seems to actually mention the type by name.

If you want a certain quality, or type of protein, you gotta look for it.

S

It’s cheap and soybean farmers get a govm’t kickback. Or some such.

Soy and corn are both heavily subsidized.

x2 on corn subsidies. That really is in near-everything.

Also, as was said, soy protein is a cheap and “easy” way to be able to claim a product has added protein.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
Seriously the ingredient label on almost any product says contains soy or something similar. WHY?? [/quote]
Soy lecithin isn’t “soy” in the sense that we generally use it - it’s an emulsifier, not the whole protein, so it doesn’t really have any of the phytoestrogen effects. However, In some people with soy allergies, soy lecithin can still trigger a reaction, which is generally why it’s mentioned in the “May Contain Traces of X, Y, and Z”-label.

I saw a video where the person talking (I forget his name/gig), but he said something to the effect that the US Govt has it completely backward (go figure). There is an obesity/healthcare epidemeic yet we subsidize corn/sugar/grain industries. We’d be much better off subsidizing carrot farmers.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
I saw a video where the person talking (I forget his name/gig), but he said something to the effect that the US Govt has it completely backward (go figure). There is an obesity/healthcare epidemeic yet we subsidize corn/sugar/grain industries. We’d be much better off subsidizing carrot farmers.[/quote]
Probably Michael Pollan, author of The Omnivore’s Dilemma and In Defense of Food.

Pollan talks/writes a ton about the issue with subsidies and pushes a return to good old fashioned healthful eating.

Colucci – That is the video! 1:20.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Seriously the ingredient label on almost any product says contains soy or something similar. WHY?? [/quote]
Soy lecithin isn’t “soy” in the sense that we generally use it - it’s an emulsifier, not the whole protein, so it doesn’t really have any of the phytoestrogen effects. However, In some people with soy allergies, soy lecithin can still trigger a reaction, which is generally why it’s mentioned in the “May Contain Traces of X, Y, and Z”-label.[/quote]

This is what I mean. Thanks for clarifying I thought I was getting shitty phytoestrogens in everything including my isopure.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
There is an obesity/healthcare epidemeic yet we subsidize corn/sugar/grain industries. We’d be much better off subsidizing carrot farmers.[/quote]

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Soy lecithin isn’t “soy” in the sense that we generally use it - it’s an emulsifier, not the whole protein, so it doesn’t really have any of the phytoestrogen effects. However, In some people with soy allergies, soy lecithin can still trigger a reaction, which is generally why it’s mentioned in the “May Contain Traces of X, Y, and Z”-label.[/quote]

This is what I mean. Thanks for clarifying I thought I was getting shitty phytoestrogens in everything including my isopure.[/quote]

Awesome thread, I was also wondering this. A while back I cut out everything containing grains, dairy and legumes to see if I had any mild allergies and everything basically has Soy Letichin.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
There is an obesity/healthcare epidemeic yet we subsidize corn/sugar/grain industries. We’d be much better off subsidizing carrot farmers.[/quote]

[/quote]

HAHA!! Paraphrasing his words, not necessarily that I agree that ‘we’ (gov’t) should be subsidizing farmers. Would be happy to address in PWI forum :wink:

A steady supply of agricultural products is crucial to the stability of this nation and the world. Think about that before we start bashing Ag subsidies. No one is forcing people to eat shitty foods. It’s their own choice.

Imagine NYC after a week of no Agricultural products being shipped to the city. It’s a symbiotic relationship, farmers need city people’s money to stay a float and city people need a stable supply of farm products. And the government wants us fat and happy.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
A steady supply of agricultural products is crucial to the stability of this nation and the world. Think about that before we start bashing Ag subsidies. No one is forcing people to eat shitty foods. It’s their own choice.

Imagine NYC after a week of no Agricultural products being shipped to the city. It’s a symbiotic relationship, farmers need city people’s money to stay a float and city people need a stable supply of farm products. And the government wants us fat and happy. [/quote]

If there is an actual demand for these products in the market there would be no need for subsidies.

The fact that they need to be subsidized means there is not enough demand for them.

Food will get produced because there will always be a demand for it. Subsidizing the wrong foods is having really bad health consequences on the American taxpayer.