Why is Sleep Important?

i think im underestimating the power of sleep. im getting like 4hr per night or something dumb like that.

I think it’s tough to grasp for quite a few people. I go through bouts of insomnia every now and then, and losing just 25% of your sleep can really have an impact after a few days.

Try six hours of sleep per night for a week, and assess how you feel through the following week. Then try eight.

Really pay attention to how you feel when you lift. You should feel a LOT better and stronger, and your numbers will probably go up as well.

The only thing dumb is that you’re asking why sleep is important on this Forum.

Maybe tomorrow we can work on colors.

there’s a reason for everything-wanted to know its impact in lifting.
can we do red tomorrow? i like red.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
can we do red tomorrow? i like red. [/quote]

Lets not turn this into red vs. blue.

I just wanted to say that in the movie fight club Edward Norton’s insomnia leads to being Brad Pitt. So logically, if we are all striving to look like Brad Pitt we should stop sleeping all together.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
can we do red tomorrow? i like red. [/quote]

Red’s a good place to start. Very rich pigmentation.

DoubleDuce posted - I just wanted to say that in the movie fight club Edward Norton’s insomnia leads to being Brad Pitt. So logically, if we are all striving to look like Brad Pitt we should stop sleeping all together.

YIKES…i better cut back on the sleep… or i’ll never lose this extra 50 lbs i’ve been lugging around!

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
kickureface wrote:
can we do red tomorrow? i like red.

[/quote]

Shit. Not this can of worms again.

wtf is red vs blue…

"A spectrum of physiological changes occur during sleep. Among them, hormonal secretion is perhaps the most important for recovery from physical exertion. An increase in anabolic (muscle-building) hormone concentrations and a decrease in catabolic (muscle-wasting) hormone concentrations and activity take place during the sleep cycle. Levels of the anabolic hormone testosterone begin to rise on falling asleep, peak about about the time of first REM, and remain at that level until awakening. This means that sleeping shorter durations limits the recovery contributions possible from testosterone. Another anabolic hormone, somatotropin, or human growth hormone, also has a characteristic secretion pattern during sleep.

Shortly after deep sleep begins, growth hormone concentrations begin to rise, leading to a sustained peak lasting 1.5 to 3.5 hours. A major function of growth hormone is the mitigation of the negative effects of the catabolic hormone cortisol. A disruption or shortening of the sleep period will reduce the beneficial effects of these anabolic hormones."

• Practical Programming, Rippetoe & Kilgore

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
I think it’s tough to grasp for quite a few people. I go through bouts of insomnia every now and then, and losing just 25% of your sleep can really have an impact after a few days.

Try six hours of sleep per night for a week, and assess how you feel through the following week. Then try eight.

Really pay attention to how you feel when you lift. You should feel a LOT better and stronger, and your numbers will probably go up as well.[/quote]

About a year ago I started making a real effort to get 8 hours/night. After the third night’s sleep, I didn’t feel the need to hit the snooze button (favorite thing in the world) and just rolled out of bed, so consistently getting enough sleep definitely makes a huge difference.

[quote]D_S wrote:
JayPierce wrote:
so consistently getting enough sleep definitely makes a huge difference.

[/quote]

especially when we’re all lifting weights and feeling refreshed in the morning…

But it sucks, I’m a light sleeper, any noise wakes me up and takes forever for me to fall back asleep… Sleeping pills never works on me.

[quote]
Lets not turn this into red vs. blue.[/quote]

Vote Obama 08’!

[quote]aznt0rk wrote:
D_S wrote:
JayPierce wrote:
so consistently getting enough sleep definitely makes a huge difference.

especially when we’re all lifting weights and feeling refreshed in the morning…

But it sucks, I’m a light sleeper, any noise wakes me up and takes forever for me to fall back asleep… Sleeping pills never works on me.[/quote]

i’m a light sleeper as well and have the same problem falling asleep. ear plugs bro.

Lack of sleep is my nemesis. I have 2 boys: 3 yrs old and 1 yr old. A few weeks ago they both slept began to sleep through the night. I, therefor, slept through the night for the first time in 3.5 years. In four days I hit 2 pr’s that I wasn’t even CLOSE to the week before. I lost just under 1% of bf in those days as well. Then, we went on vacation. Boys stopped sleeping during that time, so did I…lifts fell.

Sleep is good. Mental focus, CNS recovery, anti-catabolic state induction, harvesting of fatty acids, dreams, you name it. All good. If you can, go for the 6-8 hrs recommended above. Good luck!

I sleep 9-13 hours a day (deep sleeper) and I make gains every time I go in the gym.

And when I say gains I don’t mean I hit all my sets of 4x10 on pushdown. I mean adding a extra rep or two, or going up 10-20lbs on all my heavy sets for all my exercises.

Quality sleep + quality food + with quality training = quality gains

[quote]Mega Newb wrote:
I sleep 9-13 hours a day (deep sleeper) and I make gains every time I go in the gym. [/quote]

Do you make gains in life? I know lifting’s your biggest deal and it is for a lot of people but I don’t understand why people WANT to sleep that much. You’re just sleeping your life away. I guess that’s the trade off for real gains. Probably why I’m still weak :frowning:

[quote]AssClown wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:
I sleep 9-13 hours a day (deep sleeper) and I make gains every time I go in the gym.

Do you make gains in life? I know lifting’s your biggest deal and it is for a lot of people but I don’t understand why people WANT to sleep that much. You’re just sleeping your life away. I guess that’s the trade off for real gains. Probably why I’m still weak :-([/quote]

I love sleep…

AssClown has the most insane avatar. Seagal belongs on Mount Rushmore, along with Charlie Bronson and Barnaby Jones.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:

Vote Obama 08’![/quote]

your very red in your avatar…its scary