T Nation

Why is my Sumo Weaker than my Normal DL

I can dead lift 140kg
and did 100kg for 10

But then (This was after a Zecher squat set but I did have like 4 minute rest)
I did 100kg Sumo for 6 and was knackered, Is this normal?

What were you expecting normal to look like?

Is this a joke?

Obviously you were fatigued from the zercher squats and it sounds like you didn’t warm up properly if you were going for max reps on the sumo deadlift 4 minutes after squatting. But in any case, sumo and conventional are two different lifts and not everyone is equally good at both.

As others have said, you may have been fatigued by your squat work which probably reduced your work capacity for the sumo deadlift, and this would be compounded if you normally don’t pull sumo (not saying you do or don’t - just making a general comment).

I squat and then sumo or conventional deadlift with no issue, but I’m use to both stances and the particular sequence of movements. I prefer (and focus most of my training) on sumo and feel the squat does a good job of prepping me to Deadlift. But again, I am use to both movements and doing both back to back.

Jason

I don’t so that may be why I just thought the rule of thumb was if you can DL so much you can Sumo more

May try switch them round

Thats where you are going wrong. This is not the rule of thumb.

Some people are stronger sumo, some people are stronger conventional. But even for people who are stronger Sumo, they are rarely stronger when they forst switch, its once they have committed to the new pulling style and worked on it.

Currently, as far as Im aware, most WR’s have been set conventional, not Sumo.

I’ve seen guys at my gym pulling over 500 conventional, yet can’t even break the floor with 315 using sumo. I feel like I pull better with sumo personally, but they’re pretty close.

This comment is exactly why I have at times stopped following Powerlifting Motivation and other PL pages/services at times - Sumo and Conventional are both deadlifts but one is not indicative of proficiency in another. I’m sorry but just because you can, for example, snowboard doesn’t mean you can surf worth a damn even though both are board sports.

Yes both Sumo and Conventional are deadlifts (ie, a ground-starting hip hinge), but strength is developed through exposure to movement patterns. If you want to be strong in one you have to train it. If you want to be strong in both you have to train both. One is not easier than the other (ie., sumo is not cheating and is no easier than conventional), and thus exposure to one movement will not mean amplified output in another (or even equal output for that matter).

/end rant
Jason

Fixed it for ya

BOOM! status made. Lol

Brb getting rid of assistance work.

Malanichev trains that way… so if you’re Malanichev go ahead lel. If nah maybe do some movements that get you a bit of carryover like shadow boxing with DBs. Ur welcome

Nice try Satan but I ain’t doing cardio even if it has 110% carryover

Hardest part about doing cardio is telling your parents you now want to be a girl

I wi get back to you tonight on this because I am going and I will do Sumo first

Seriously? Assistance/supplemental movements have their place but the OP was not using sumo as such a movement and was just awe struck that he couldn’t sumo more than he could conventional with no experience in sumo.

What’s the best assistance/supplemental work one can do? One that strongly mimics the movement your trying to improve. Want an example? Let’s stay with deadlifts:

1. Building sumo? Do Pauses Sumo Deadlifts - it’s the same movement with added stress!

Sure, doing some significantly different (ie. Conventional to build sumo) may have some carry over (arguably), but what’s more important? More exposure to the same stance with varying degrees of stress or doing something “entirely” different?

In your world does doing A always lead to consequence B just because you intended B or think B should just happen by virtue of doing A? That’s laughable. You’ll be a better surfer spending more time in the water and off the slopes…

It depends on a lot of different factors. If conventional didn’t help sumo then why do so many of the best sumo deadlifters waste their time with it? If only they took the time to follow advice posted on internet forums…

Not srs lol. Just taking the piss.

It’s just that you didn’t include this caveat the first time around

FWIW cos like I haven’t powerlifted long or much for that matter, just take a look at mah log, in my “world”/lifting improving A (conventional) always leads to improvement in B (sumo). It’s pretty reliable and consistent. I guess in lifting at least thing are like more predictable.

This thread kinda got off track lel. To clarify for any poor soul who wanders into this clusterfuck.