Why is it Confusing: Reason for Programs

I don’t get it. Here is a simple question: I care to build muscle mass. I don’t care about any other aspect. none. strength, ability to chop some’s head off… no.
Muscle size.

Why is it so difficult for trainers and programmers to say, clearly, what is the purpose of their program? splits, tbt, whatever.
Why does it need to be so confusing? why can’t people state, clearly and simply, what is the purpose of their published program?
Is it just that English is 2nd language for me? is it that it is so obvious for them, they see no point in stating their purpose? something else ?

There is little confusion.

Size (CSA/Hypertrophy) is THE main mechanism through which strength is increased.

They are mututally dependant to try and increase one while ignoring the other is a self defeating stratagey and to show a fundemental lack of understanding.

I understand where you’re coming from. Before I started surfing BB forums on the net, things were simpler. After about a month of looking at different bb sites, I was thoroughly confused. After a while I just said screw it and stopped reading everything as fact or as something I needed to do and went back to the basics but armed with more ammo and cherry picking certain bits that went along with my goals.

If you eat and lift weights you’ll get big. Volume is king…and works for me at least. However, strength training has its place as I’ve seen. I usually do a 3-4 strength program between my volume training to add muscular thickness and density. Because there’s no way to look thick without lifting heavy.

Well, first off, a trainer should be able to tell you the purpose of a program, they why’s of everything.

As for you statement, the body doesn’t work as simple as that (if I’m reading your question right).

There will always be other aspects of lifting weights.

For exmaple, it’s typically stated that reps of 15 or more is for more endurance, but there will some hypertrophy gains, some strength gains.
Same goes for lifting for 5 reps, it’s typically a strength range, but there will be some carryover.

It’s not always black and white.

[quote]prUser wrote:
I don’t get it. Here is a simple question: I care to build muscle mass. I don’t care about any other aspect. none. strength, ability to chop some’s head off… no.
Muscle size.
Why is it so difficult for trainers and programmers to say, clearly, what is the purpose of their program? splits, tbt, whatever.
Why does it need to be so confusing? why can’t people state, clearly and simply, what is the purpose of their published program?
Is it just that English is 2nd language for me? is it that it is so obvious for them, they see no point in stating their purpose? something else ?[/quote]

All remotely intelligent programs are for muscle size. Progress and food are what makes muscles grow. If there isn’t progress(in at least some fashion, hopefully strength is in there) then it’s silly and shouldn’t be done. It IS simple.

Progress=reason to grow
Food=fuel to make you grow

[quote]Scott M wrote:

All remotely intelligent programs are for muscle size. Progress and food are what makes muscles grow. If there isn’t progress(in at least some fashion, hopefully strength is in there) then it’s silly and shouldn’t be done. It IS simple.

Progress=reason to grow
[/quote]

Thanks all. Thing is, they all disagree, state the opposite, and write about strength and size interchangeably, while clearly stating that strength does not equal size! I’m having so many “WTF??” moments!

I’m not new to the game, I’m new to trying to do things smarter. This site provides more confusion than help for me…:slight_smile: I have serious flashbacks to school, where kids would argue who wins - Godzilla or King-kong :slight_smile: err, sorry, ABCDEFG splits or tbt.

[quote]prUser wrote:
Scott M wrote:

Progress=reason to grow

Thanks all. Thing is, they all disagree, state the opposite, and write about strength and size interchangeably, while clearly stating that strength does not equal size! I’m having so many “WTF??” moments!

I’m not new to the game, I’m new to trying to do things smarter. This site provides more confusion than help for me…:slight_smile: I have serious flashbacks to school, where kids would argue who wins - Godzilla or King-kong :slight_smile: err, sorry, ABCDEFG splits or tbt.[/quote]

hahahaha…

Now I understand your confusion. People will forever disagree and contradict each other because there is no “RIGHT” way. The bottom line is that you need to figure out what works for you.
However the old age formula will always stand.

Lift heavy + Eat(enough to gain weight) = Muscle Growth.

Eating and lifting while trying to increase the intensity whether that’s by increasing weight, sets, reps, or rest periods will make your muscles grow. Just remember that and as they say in business…

Keep it simple stupid.

[quote]prUser wrote:
Muscle size.
[/quote]

TBT

Sorry.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
prUser wrote:
Muscle size.

TBT

Sorry.[/quote]

:-))) You’re forgiven. now give me a 5X5 squat session, which will help with strength, which relates to size, but does not mean you will grow since size is not really related to strength. but without strength, how will you grow.
That’s it! I’ve formulated the Tnation paradox:
Do the 5x5,it will get you stronger not bigger, and help with size.

[quote]prUser wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
prUser wrote:
Muscle size.

TBT

Sorry.

:-))) You’re forgiven. now give me a 5X5 squat session, which will help with strength, which relates to size, but does not mean you will grow since size is not really related to strength. but without strength, how will you grow.
[/quote]

Just because a 5x5 rep range is more conducive to strength does not mean that you will not gain muscle. If you eat in a calorie surplus you will gain muscle period.

[quote]prUser wrote:

[/quote]

I’m just out of oral surgery so I’m a little loopy but I’m not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

But to be clear, a 5x5 squat routine WILL build size along with strength. In fact, the only difference between gaining size or not, using that 5x5 protocol, is a surplus of calories, period.

There is no paradox. If you train using a sensible, PROGRESSIVE routine and eat a surplus of calories, you’ll get stronger and grow bigger.

If you train the same but fail to provide the essential building blocks for growth, you’ll fail at becoming larger, no way around it.

EDIT: Pemdas beat me to it, good job!

[quote]Sir wrote:
If you eat and lift weights you’ll get big.[/quote]

Funny how a lot of people don’t seem to realize this.