Why I Want to Bench 400

[quote]LUEshi wrote:

I’ve been benching for about a month, and based off my old rep maxes I’m at or near my old max of 280x2. Shitty, I know, but I’m knocking on 300’s door here soon…and then the real work begins.

have you thought about training and diet plans to achieve this goal yet? if so, do you mind explaining what they are?

LUEshi, You captured the spirit of lifting in a very personal way. I’m always a bit envious of good writers as they display much patience and mental organization. Traits like those will help your reach your bench goal for sure. Good words brother!

Do it.

sorry for your loss

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
How far do you need to go for 400?

I took several months off from barbell benching due to shoulder issues. These issues have disappeared mostly thanks to lots of seated DB presses and broomstick stretches. Getting up my barbell row numbers for balance is fast becoming a priority.

I’ve been benching for about a month, and based off my old rep maxes I’m at or near my old max of 280x2. Shitty, I know, but I’m knocking on 300’s door here soon…and then the real work begins.

It isn’t much; but like the man said, you should have seen what I started with.

I just wanted to say thank you, thank you so much.

I wanted to make something useful out of all this. If this gets other people up and going, well that’s what it’s all about.
[/quote]

I’ll be in on it with you. My lifts for benching are the same.

Honestly, I’ve never had such intense goosebumps while reading your post. thank you and I am inspired

June 5th 2010? I will do my best to meet you at the 400lb mark.

Well, BB benching 400 ain’t going to happen for me in my lifetime (badly fucked up right shoulder) but I’ll be perfectly happy with benching the 150’s sometime this year or early next (even if only for a couple of reps) :slight_smile:

Good luck to you guys, though :slight_smile:

Excellent post. I had an uncle like that. Drugs got to him before his bad liver did. He believed in me long before I did. Good luck. I will be looking forward to you reaching your goal.

Still dieting; will be done with that over the next 4 weeks or so.

Right now a low pin medium width flat bench seems to be working quite well for me; but I’ll likely have to switch it up with close grips and inclines before long. Need to get my barbell row way, way up also.

Interestingly enough, following a simple rest-pause scheme-

Day 1: Chest, shoulders and tri’s
Day 2: Quads and hams
Day 3: Back and biceps
Day 4: Rest
Day 5-7: Repeat

has increased my strength significantly in a very short period of time (about five weeks in).

[quote]I’ll be in on it with you. My lifts for benching are the same.

June 5th 2010? I will do my best to meet you at the 400lb mark. [/quote]

Let’s do it.

[quote]Well, BB benching 400 ain’t going to happen for me in my lifetime (badly fucked up right shoulder) but I’ll be perfectly happy with benching the 150’s sometime this year or early next (even if only for a couple of reps) :slight_smile:

Good luck to you guys, though :slight_smile: [/quote]

The fuck do you mean, “you guys”? You’re right there along with us here. Putting up the 150’s easily translates to a 400 lb bench.

lueshi are you bodybuilder or more powerlifter?

lueshi are you bodybuilder or more powerlifter?

My style of lifting has shifted over time from a Westside-inspired low reps and heavy (for me) weight program to a simpler, moderate one based around rest-pausing and forced progression. Interestingly enough, I notice far more lasting and immediate strength gains in the 6-10 rep range than in the 1-5 (the exception being squats and deads…although I’m not particularly fond of singles for the former).

I love powerlifting-type training and I’d love to be on the platform one day…but I’m not particularly suited to that style for long periods of time, I think. I focus best on what’s immediately in front of me; and my style of training right now suits me in that immediate needs neatly dovetail with long-term goals. Lift ___ lbs ____ times and do more next week. Simple arithmetic that allows for both instant gratification (“Hey, a new PR! Sweet!”) and overall progress.

Powerlifting is hard because I have a tendency to get so distracted with what I WANT (bigger numbers) that I can’t focus on what I NEED. It really is difficult to consistently bring the perfect technique and coordination the training requires, along with die-hard intensity. Juggling all this while feeling like the back of your head is going to explode during board presses or getting stapled to a low box is more than I can muster for all but short periods of time; and guys & gals who do it year round have my most profound respect. Theirs is by far the harder road, imo.

(Although at least they can eat a fucking cheeseburger when they feel like it. Bastards.)

tl;dr I’m more of a bodybuilder but ya still gots to lift the heavy ass weight