Why I Don't Want to Bench 405

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:

I’m not one of those people, I’ve never understood why anyone would half ass anything as I’m an all or nothing kind of person. BUT, I’d rather hear these people admit that they don’t have what it takes than hear them whine and make excuses for it. [/quote]

Then that is what separates us. I don’t care to hear it and I don’t give a shit. It doesn’t matter to me that “dankid” doesn’t want to work that hard or make any sacrifices. I would tolerate him making these statements about as much as I would some skinny dude walking up to me in the gym and saying the same. The question would be, “why the fuck are you talking to me while I’m trying to make progress here?”.

These guys want something for nothing. They want everyone to treat them like they have really gone all out when they haven’t. They want the same respect as the guy who put years into this and made sacrifices…as if his effort doesn’t mean anything.

That is both an insult to this activity and the guy they are directing that towards.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
threewhitelights wrote:

I’m not one of those people, I’ve never understood why anyone would half ass anything as I’m an all or nothing kind of person. BUT, I’d rather hear these people admit that they don’t have what it takes than hear them whine and make excuses for it.

Then that is what separates us. I don’t care to hear it and I don’t give a shit. It doesn’t matter to me that “dankid” doesn’t want to work that hard or make any sacrifices. I would tolerate him making these statements about as much as I would some skinny dude walking up to me in the gym and saying the same. The question would be, “why the fuck are you talking to me while I’m trying to make progress here?”.

These guys want something for nothing. They want everyone to treat them like they have really gone all out when they haven’t. They want the same respect as the guy who put years into this and made sacrifices…as if his effort doesn’t mean anything.

That is both an insult to this activity and the guy they are directing that towards.[/quote]

lol.

[quote]gerby wrote:
Ok, I’ve read two of the five pages, but whatever. Even Dr. John Berardi spoke of periods of his life where he only intended to maintain. Life is about balance, for me anyway. I think that this is the most important thing. The OP’s point is that his life isn’t defined by how much he can bench, and it can be argued that the lives that are defined by such things are shallow to a certain extent. I have a wife and kid, a fledgling business, and family members that need to be cared for. And you know what? Right now I’d be more than happy to just be where I’m at in 6 months. Yeah, I’m playing not to lose, for now, and that’s ok. Am I a pussy? Well, call me what you want, I don’t care. I guess I could neglect my family’s needs, or tell my wife and son to take a back seat to my training and nutrition when I only see my kid a few months out of the year, but right now I’m structuring my life to maximize my time with my son, not maximize my bench or bring up my delts. I still go to the gym, and when I’m there I bust my ass, but if I miss a workout or a meal or two, I don’t really care, because right now there are more important things. Don’t get me wrong, I cheer for those pushing themselves to bench 500lbs or get to over 200lbs at 5% body fat. I also cheer for those who have other ambitions in life. The OP is in the gym, staying in shape, and not being a fat useless piece of shit like most Americans. My hat is off to him, and everybody else who used this forum for something constructive instead of just going off about how their life is somehow being lived better than somebody else’s. I want you (everybody) to live a life that is successful for yourself and those around you, whether that be curing cancer or helping people reach their strength goals.[/quote]

Then this is the wrong forum for you. These posts being made in this forum are not directed at people who want to stay the same. Also, bodybuilding is not my entire life. I am willing to bet I have accomplished more than most of the very people going on and on about all of their other responsibilities. Some of us want this badly enough to make those sacrifices. You choosing not to may not make you a pussy, but it does bring the rest of us down when we have to speak as if your lack of effort needs to be taken into consideration every single time we make a statement.

This site needs a Gen. Fitness forum for all of you like that. You all can discuss how you plan on looking exactly the same for years to your heart’s content and no one will bother you.

[quote]dwall33 wrote:
Short Hoss wrote:
Lol@mediocrity.

Sorry, I like striving for perfection.

There’s no such thing as perfection in bodybuilding or powerlifting, you can always improve.[/quote]

Which is why he wrote “strive” for perfection.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
jstreet0204 wrote:
Even if your goal is not to get to 200+ lbs, why make excuses and half ass it. Bust your ass get to your goal, and if you are happy, fine coast from then on out and just maintain, but I’d be willing to bet your goal will change once you get there. I don’t know ANY big muscular guys who wished they weren’t so big.

I’ve never met anyone that was successful with this. If you’re putting a cap on it from the beginning, then you will probably slow before you ever reach that goal.[/quote]

I dissagree, many people are successful with short term goals. I never set out to bench 405 until I reached 315. 405 was a goal long before 500 was. 500 wasn’t a blip in the radar when I was 16 bencing 250.

Professor, why so angry? I’m not insulting you, I think you deserve all the credit you get. Should Dr. Berardi go over to the Gen. Fitness forum? He talked about maintaining for periods of his life as well. I just don’t get why everybody has to be so fucking judgemental. I have just as much right to be here as you. Like I said, once my life settles down a little I’ll be right back to my progressions. Am I banned until then? Do I need to get out of your way for some reason?

I’m sorry that you’re so insecure that you feel insulted by those who dare spend a minute of their lives without training and nutrition at the absolute top of their list. I don’t know your life, and you don’t know mine. Even famous bodybuilders talked about periods in there lives where they didn’t train or eat perfectly, when it just wasn’t that important to them. I guess my research and posting privelages have been revoked per Professor X until I starting training for progress again.

And by the way, the OP sort of created this thread to talk about this topic exactly. Maybe it is you who is in the wrong place.

[quote]dankid wrote:

Or why aren’t you willing to strive for more than you have now?[/quote]

because god blessed me with awesome genetics
because no-one likes that ‘OMG HE SPENDS ALL THE DAY IN THE GYM’ look
because I don’t want to stand out
because I wanna remain functional
because I’ll become obese according to the BMI
because it’s too much effort to finish this list let alone train more than twice a week - I have a life you know.

[quote]gerby wrote:
I guess my research and posting privelages have been revoked per Professor X until I starting training for progress again.[/quote]

if you wouldnt mind, you can leave your “research and posting privileges” card at reception on your way out. When you are ready to resume training for progress again, please call reception and arrange an appointment.

[quote]gerby wrote:
Professor, why so angry? I’m not insulting you, I think you deserve all the credit you get. Should Dr. Berardi go over to the Gen. Fitness forum? He talked about maintaining for periods of his life as well. [/quote]

You are comparing yourself to Berardi, a Phd? Have you been through schooling like that? Let me tell you, it is RARE to see someone go through schooling beyond college level that is that intense while also going all out in the weight room and making more progress than most. Berardi to my knowledge accomplished quite a bit physically and educationally. Someone who has not done the same shouldn’t compare themselves to the man.

[quote]
I just don’t get why everybody has to be so fucking judgemental. I have just as much right to be here as you. Like I said, once my life settles down a little I’ll be right back to my progressions. Am I banned until then? Do I need to get out of your way for some reason? I’m sorry that you’re so insecure that you feel insulted by those who dare spend a minute of their lives without training and nutrition at the absolute top of their list. I don’t know your life, and you don’t know mine. Even famous bodybuilders talked about periods in there lives where they didn’t train or eat perfectly, when it just wasn’t that important to them. I guess my research and posting privelages have been revoked per Professor X until I starting training for progress again.[/quote]

I’m sorry, but what the hell does someone who literally makes the decision to make NO progress need to discuss in this forum?

It doesn’t matter if someone who is bigger/stronger than 98% of the population states that they backed off from lifting in grad school but jumped right back into it. My guess is you look NOTHING like any of those people did even when they quit training. Care to prove me wrong?

You are in a bodybuilding forum. That means people LIVE this shit. If you can’t understand why people feel passionately about an activity they sacrifice that much for, then the problem is yours alone.

I gotta say while most people are saying this thread is bullshit it really has evoked some real interesting opinions and IMO has turned into a pretty good thread. I have been training for seven years and never have thought once about competeing. For me weightlifting / bodybuilding was attractive because of the solidarity of it all the aspect of pushing yourself for yourself and no one else. I couldnt explain the happiness I had when I finally benched 315 which was a goal of mine. Thats the point for me challenging yourself with only yourself to use for approval. I do believe short term and long term goals is a necessity in a sport like this. I have these goals in my mind all the time and feel it has made me a better person in so many aspects of life, but again while I admittedly enjoy the accolades friends and strangers have bestowed upon me I only do it because I LOVE IT, if my passion was curling I would be a curling mother fucker.

Everyone makes such a huge deal about this on forums, I don’t get it. The very first place I ever worked, there was a bodybuilder working also. This guy was 280+, and pretty lean-used weights at the gym that had my eyes popping out. There were a lot of late nights, and a lot of heavy work, but this guy would go to the gym after a 18-hour shift to get his workout done, 6 hours of sleep if he was lucky, and back to work the next day. He never even mentioned it during the days, or even looked tired. Now a few years later I saw him in contest condition, greatest physique I ever saw in person.

Nowadays I never see guys like that at the gym, who are all buisness and taking no prisoners. That’s why I come to a bodybuilding forum, to talk to guys like that.

Why would anyone logging on to a bodybuilding forum want to read about a guy who doesn’t want to bench 405?

gerby wrote:
Professor, why so angry? I’m not insulting you, I think you deserve all the credit you get. Should Dr. Berardi go over to the Gen. Fitness forum? He talked about maintaining for periods of his life as well.

You are comparing yourself to Berardi, a Phd? Have you been through schooling like that? Let me tell you, it is RARE to see someone go through schooling beyond college level that is that intense while also going all out in the weight room and making more progress than most. Berardi to my knowledge accomplished quite a bit physically and educationally. Someone who has not done the same shouldn’t compare themselves to the man.

I just don’t get why everybody has to be so fucking judgemental. I have just as much right to be here as you. Like I said, once my life settles down a little I’ll be right back to my progressions. Am I banned until then? Do I need to get out of your way for some reason? I’m sorry that you’re so insecure that you feel insulted by those who dare spend a minute of their lives without training and nutrition at the absolute top of their list. I don’t know your life, and you don’t know mine. Even famous bodybuilders talked about periods in there lives where they didn’t train or eat perfectly, when it just wasn’t that important to them. I guess my research and posting privelages have been revoked per Professor X until I starting training for progress again.

I’m sorry, but what the hell does someone who literally makes the decision to make NO progress need to discuss in this forum?

It doesn’t matter if someone who is bigger/stronger than 98% of the population states that they backed off from lifting in grad school but jumped right back into it. My guess is you look NOTHING like any of those people did even when they quit training. Care to prove me wrong?

You are in a bodybuilding forum. That means people LIVE this shit. If you can’t understand why people feel passionately about an activity they sacrifice that much for, then the problem is yours alone.[/quote]

1. Reread my post. You don’t know me. I’ve done pretty well, and I don’t have to proove it to you to feel good about myself. My stats are actually quite comparable to Berardi’s from what he’s posted. I’ve managed to put on over 60lbs of lean mass in about 4 years, much thanks to Berardi.

2. You’re not even consistent. Berardi “backed off a bit while in grad school” while I am backing off a bit while getting a nationwide business off the ground.

3. I never made the decision to make no progress, but over the past couple of months, when given the choice to either go to the gym or work on a business deal, I’ve done the business deal, much like Berardi skipped workouts in order to study or do research. I understand that I might not make progress over the next few months while I focus on my business, and I’m ok with that.

4. I understand passion, and passion about lifting. I’ve been living and breathing this life for years, just like you have. Again, you seem to know so much about me. Were we seperated at birth? How do you know what intensity I’ve trained with in the past? Right now, my passion is shifting toward my business and my family, temporarily, and that is just fine. In the meantime, I can still read T-Nation and debate with likeminded people and perhaps go back into the fray a little smarter.

5. Just because I don’t care how much I bench doesn’t mean I don’t have a passion for the iron.

You know…if I just didn’t have time to lift…you would think I wouldn’t have time to post.

The OP made good points, you’ve made good points, and my points weren’t bad either. Nothing left for me here.

[quote]gerby wrote:
Ok, I’ve read two of the five pages, but whatever. Even Dr. John Berardi spoke of periods of his life where he only intended to maintain. Life is about balance, for me anyway. I think that this is the most important thing. The OP’s point is that his life isn’t defined by how much he can bench, and it can be argued that the lives that are defined by such things are shallow to a certain extent.

I have a wife and kid, a fledgling business, and family members that need to be cared for. And you know what? Right now I’d be more than happy to just be where I’m at in 6 months. Yeah, I’m playing not to lose, for now, and that’s ok. Am I a pussy? Well, call me what you want, I don’t care. I guess I could neglect my family’s needs, or tell my wife and son to take a back seat to my training and nutrition when I only see my kid a few months out of the year, but right now I’m structuring my life to maximize my time with my son, not maximize my bench or bring up my delts.

I still go to the gym, and when I’m there I bust my ass, but if I miss a workout or a meal or two, I don’t really care, because right now there are more important things. Don’t get me wrong, I cheer for those pushing themselves to bench 500lbs or get to over 200lbs at 5% body fat. I also cheer for those who have other ambitions in life. The OP is in the gym, staying in shape, and not being a fat useless piece of shit like most Americans.

My hat is off to him, and everybody else who used this forum for something constructive instead of just going off about how their life is somehow being lived better than somebody else’s. I want you (everybody) to live a life that is successful for yourself and those around you, whether that be curing cancer or helping people reach their strength goals.

Don’t worry, my intention is that things will settle down and in the near future I’ll be able to put training and nutrition at the top of my list again (I’ll be doing the V-Diet, life permitting). [/quote]

Gerby, you are one of the few people that I got my point across too. I didn’t make this thread to try to convice the hardcore bb’ers like X of my point. And I certainly didn’t make it for the mindless t-douches that post things like “fail” and “pussy”. I KNOW that there is a large majority of individuals just like me on this site that really have the same line of thinking as me.

I NEVER said strive for mediocrity, or dont set goals. I said to make your goals individual, and do them for YOU. I’ll always have goals to lift more weight, or do one more rep, or whatever. But at the same time im realistic in these goals and at what cost they come. I’d like to do 225lbs on bench for A LOT of reps. Maybe 15-20 reps. Sure, if I could do this, I probably could bench 405 as well. But for me doing the 225 for many reps would be more satisfying. And you could say, why not should for 315 for a lot of reps. And I could say, why dont you bench 900?

Im constantly make new goals, and TRAINING for those goals. Without goals, workouts would be pointless and you’d have no idea what you are doing. Its not about being mediocre, its about doing what is going to make YOU happy. There have been plenty of times in my life where I have set goals, and then been dissapointed when I achieved them, because they really didn’t matter all that much too me. I could train to bench 405, and then some people might say “wow look at that guy, he’s strong” but for me thats not what im looking for. If you are just doing it to impress others your goals are very shallow. But I dont want to judge. If you get your kicks that way, thats fine.

I find it interesting that not a single person posted truly what they are willing to give up, or why they are not willing to give up what it would take to go further. This could be anything.

For me, a big one is that I am not willing to count calories. I also like to have an occasional hamburger or burrito, or have a drink. Because of these things that im not willing to do, my goal is in the 10-12% BF region. When I get to that point, i may rethink what im willing to give up to progress further.

As for why im not willing to bench 405. I have many reasons. I was a pitcher in HS and I really cant afford shoulder surgery at the moment. Also, I want to be bigger AND leaner. Sure getting to 405 might mean I would be bigger, but it is not necessary and maybe even counterproductive. I do aim to get stronger, but my training emphasizes building muscle and losing fat. When im 10-12% BF and around 215 lbs, then i’ll decide what is next. Do I try to get leaner, or build more muscle, or maybe just maintain and continue to increase strength further.

Also, im in school, have a job, and a girlfriend. But still, training is top priority for me. The main reason is I love lifting weights. Nothing is more satistfying; well maybe a few things are but I NEVER miss a workout by choice. When I go on a plan that requires only working out 3 times a week, I struggle. But I force myself to do what is best for achieving my goals. At the moment, thats why im not willing to go further than my goals.

I like training so much that I decided to go to school for it, and make it my life. If you look at my bookshelves, they are full of related books. So to say it is just a hobby for me is just plain wrong. I’ll admit that bb’ing and Pl’ing type stuff are just mechanisms for me to achieve my goals. And if there were a more suitable forum, I probably wouldn’t post here. But there isn’t, so im here. Also, I think it would be interesting to see how many members on this site truly are bb’ers. Im guessing that it would be a very small percentage (maybe 1-5%). And then there are those that want to look like a bb’er (maybe 10-20%) and the rest are people like me, that want to be big, strong, lean, and fit; or “mediocre” as you call it (probably about 50-80%)

So feel free to list what you are or are not willing to give up to take it to the next level. What risks/costs are you willing to take?

[quote]Ramzy18 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
Ramzy18 wrote:
lmao i cant believe the negative replies this guy is getting… are you guys fucking serious? "I’d feel pretty bad about myself if I made long, pointless posts on a skateboarding forum about how I don’t want to learn to do a kickflip. " so everything to you is “TO THE LIMIT”? What if he enjoys lifting weights… you know life is meant to be fun you retards… sure competition can be fun but that can be YOUR way of fun and NOT his. You people deserve no respect because you don’t give any and you don’t appreciate other people’s viewpoints. Leave your shit to your own self and don’t get into people other’s business. Go fuck yourselves (literally).

//////////////////////////////End

If you don’t want to take bodybuilding to an extreme don’t fucking post about. Nobody needs to read this weaksauce shit.

There is nothing wrong with lifting to lift and just having fun with it, with little to no goals, but to post about that shit on a bodybuilding forum is pointless.

weaksauce shit? you are the weaksauce who obviously does not think about other things in life… go screw yourself. i never saw a definition of bodybuiling: “to grow as much as genetically possible” … don’t go about preaching your fake shit to me.[/quote]

I agree. A-men brother, a-men.

[/quote]

X, im not here to judge, but you are sounding a bit arrogant. The “high-and-mighty” I am more hardcore tone is coming out. Im not saying its you, but this is one of the reasons I started the thread. It reminded me of hearing football players in high school going on about hardcore they are. One big pissing contest. Accomplishements are individual. People do what they do for their own reasons. You could say none of us have accomplished anything compared to Ronnie, or Arnold or ghandi, or whoever. You could say Ronnie hasn’t accomplished anything near Arnold, because he’s never been a governor, or starred in movies.

The fact is, that everyone thinks they are better, more hardcore, more determined than everyone else. And that they’ve had it harder, theyve had to give up more than everyone else. You give up what you are willing to give up, and you do what you are willing to do. Good for you. (/clap) This mentality, along with the pointless douchebaggedness that goes into the forums is what kills it for me. Now, i pretty much only go into posts that I start or of those asking for help. But i will admit, I do occasionally start or go into threads like this to arouse responses. I just wish people would give their true responses rather than trying to look macho to their e-friends.

**And as a note, Berardi did recently say that he just isn’t willing to put the work in at the moment to be super lean and muscular. Sure he’s achieved a ton in the way of goals, but according to many that replied; he’s a pussy, because he’s not striving for perfection all the time. He’s got his priorities straight, that is for sure.

PROFESSOR X, as a note, none of the remarks about douchebaggedness or anything like that were aimed at you. I simply used your comment as an example. DONT HATE

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Ramzy18 wrote:
bugeishaAD wrote:
Enjoy lifting weights? This is a bodybuilding forum… which to me implies someone that is into this lifestyle for a little more than just enjoying lifting weights casually.

the lifestyle goes with lifting the weights - yes thats obvious but the point is to what extent will you take that lifestyle… to what extremes… meaning there are pros and cons… sacrifices some people aren’t willing to make such as family, friends, other hobbies…

… most people on these forums act like the ultimate goal is to gain as much muscle as genetically possible whereas i oppose that viewpoint in that there is a “sweet spot” for every given body type to have optimum health, strength, and looks…

I first benched 405 lbs 8 months ago. What sacrifices did I have to make? Spend 6 hours a week in the gym and eat whenever I’m hungry.

You are making a big deal about all these supposed “sacrifices” that have to be made. You’re a little guy. You have no idea what it’s like being big and muscular nor what it takes to get there. You describing the path that we took to get here is like me telling someone what sacrifices a college or NBA basketball player had to make to get there. I have no idea, and neither do you.

Maybe you can tell us about sacrifices you had to make for something you have experience with though. What sacrifices did you have to make to get the 8" butt plug to fit in your ass?

Maybe now whenever you fart it smells like burnt vasoline?[/quote]

Did you do this while you were still natural? If so, that’s impressive and reassuring!

[quote]dankid wrote:
Professor X wrote:

X, im not here to judge, but you are sounding a bit arrogant. The “high-and-mighty” I am more hardcore tone is coming out. Im not saying its you, but this is one of the reasons I started the thread. It reminded me of hearing football players in high school going on about hardcore they are. One big pissing contest. Accomplishements are individual. People do what they do for their own reasons. You could say none of us have accomplished anything compared to Ronnie, or Arnold or ghandi, or whoever. You could say Ronnie hasn’t accomplished anything near Arnold, because he’s never been a governor, or starred in movies.

The fact is, that everyone thinks they are better, more hardcore, more determined than everyone else. And that they’ve had it harder, theyve had to give up more than everyone else. You give up what you are willing to give up, and you do what you are willing to do. Good for you. (/clap) This mentality, along with the pointless douchebaggedness that goes into the forums is what kills it for me. Now, i pretty much only go into posts that I start or of those asking for help. But i will admit, I do occasionally start or go into threads like this to arouse responses. I just wish people would give their true responses rather than trying to look macho to their e-friends.

**And as a note, Berardi did recently say that he just isn’t willing to put the work in at the moment to be super lean and muscular. Sure he’s achieved a ton in the way of goals, but according to many that replied; he’s a pussy, because he’s not striving for perfection all the time. He’s got his priorities straight, that is for sure.

PROFESSOR X, as a note, none of the remarks about douchebaggedness or anything like that were aimed at you. I simply used your comment as an example. DONT HATE

[/quote]

Berardi isn’t in this thread. He isn’t logging in making posts about why he doesn’t want to bench press 405lbs. No one CARES what Berardi does in his free time just like no one cares what YOU do in your free time. HOWEVER, you are on a bodybuilding forum telling us this as if it means something. You expected responses to your exclamation of lesser goals…yet when you get them it comes as a surprise?

The day Berardi comes here to talk about what he ISN’T going to get done, then we can focus on him as well.

If you don’t want to achieve much, fine. Keep it to yourself. Quit bringing it here like you expect some sort of respect for not doing anything. Your impression of me or my “arrogance” is again irrelevant. This forum is filled with people who know they get more done than average…yet you expect us to not feel good about that? That isn’t arrogance, my underachieving gym weekend warrior. That is firm knowledge of what you have and can accomplish and confidence that what you believe is right. Take it or leave it.