Why I Don't Want to Bench 405

[quote]D Public wrote:
I clicked this thread hoping to see “I don’t want to bench 405…I want to bench 600”[/quote] That’s what I thought, too, upon reading the thread title. Then I saw who made the thread, and wasn’t surprised by what I found inside… [quote]…but what i found was definitely a let down…[/quote]

[quote]300andabove wrote:
stringer wrote:

Brook, at the risk of one of the illiterate morons here thinking i am “calling you out” you sound very knowledgeable and serious with training and diet. if you dont mind me asking, what kind of numbers are you putting up? cos based on your profile you also sound like a big dude.

Why oh why do you care ?

Really man you have populated the forum with multiple threads “calling people out” or whatever you think it is…

I don’t get it why would you care who puts up what numbers, what the multiple threads you created not enough ?

Everyone who got big did the exact same things:

1. Ate more food than needed.

2. Trained consistently

3. Did the above 2 for for multiple multiple years

And thats all there ever is to it, simple as.

See i summed up bodybuilding into 3 simple tasks.
[/quote]

you are an illiterate moron.

[quote]stringer wrote:
300andabove wrote:
stringer wrote:

Brook, at the risk of one of the illiterate morons here thinking i am “calling you out” you sound very knowledgeable and serious with training and diet. if you dont mind me asking, what kind of numbers are you putting up? cos based on your profile you also sound like a big dude.

Why oh why do you care ?

Really man you have populated the forum with multiple threads “calling people out” or whatever you think it is…

I don’t get it why would you care who puts up what numbers, what the multiple threads you created not enough ?

Everyone who got big did the exact same things:

1. Ate more food than needed.

2. Trained consistently

3. Did the above 2 for for multiple multiple years

And thats all there ever is to it, simple as.

See i summed up bodybuilding into 3 simple tasks.

you are an illiterate moron.

[/quote]

Holy crap, you have 185 posts in 7 days…wtf thats over 26 posts a day! Find something else to do…or at least just read the info given and stop posting so much.

[quote]Ramzy18 wrote:
My physical existence is a complete waste I guess since I will become a doctor in pharmacy in 3 years. See what I mean by crap coming out of your mouth? How ironic.[/quote]

Getting a “doctorate” in pharmacy is a joke. Let me guess you probably go on the weekends right? What type of research do you do? Do you have a thesis? What is the topic? Come back when you plan on getting a
real doctorate…

Dude, you’re no longer allowed on this board; it’s only for those that are HUUUGE or are “gunning for 300 pounds”! (God, I’m sick of hearing the latter.)

It doesn’t matter if you work two jobs or anything else that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to train on some days (unless you can function with 4 hours of sleep per day and mental and physical exhaustion); you ain’t dedicated to fitness! That’s even if you take three workouts per week seriously.

Get off da boards, homney; you ain’t on a 5-way split!

[quote]dankid wrote:
It seems as if these forums are at their lowest point in a while. There are very few questions being answered or advice being shared. Instead everyone is pointing fingers and getting in other peoples business. There are those that say BB’ers aren’t athletes, and then there are those that say if you aren’t HUUUUGGGGEEE, then you aren’t dedicated or are a pussy. Well, here are MY thoughts.

The above title I got from coach Staley’s site, but it applies to what im thinking right now. I dont want to bench 405 for many reasons. The biggest reason being im not willing to make the sacrafices. I simply dont want it that much. Their are potential injuries, countless months/years of training, other goals, other activities, etc… If I wanted it bad enough, I would bench 405, but for ME it doesn’t matter that much.

This same reasoning can be applied to any goal. I am not willing to diet and train hard enough to get extremely ripped (2-6%). Im not willing to train and eat to be 250 lbs. You can call this being a pussy, or being lazy, but this is the way EVERYONE works.

With every goal, there are things you have to give up to achieve that goal. Even top level athletes are caught in the same situation. Sure, they have better genetics than most of us, but one key factor is that they are willing to give up more to reach their goals than the rest of us. Good for them. Im not willing to give up that much, and thats why im not an elite athlete.

I think it would be cool to run a 4:00 mile, or run a marathon, but im not willing to do it. Not only do i hate running, but this would be counter-productive to the things that I value more.

In the past year, i finally hit 195lbs, and deadlifted 405. To some this is a good achievement, others will say it means nothing. The important thing about personal goals and motivations is that they are PERSONAL. Sure someone can say what a “respectable” lift or body, but its all relative. Someone can say that a 16 y.o benching 400 is great, while a different 30 y.o benching 200 might actually be better. Most of us are not competing in PL’ing and thus these numbers are VERY arbitrary.

Here is what I am willing to strive for at the moment. Im sure as I achieve goals, i’ll make new ones.

1. Bring up my strength on neglected lifts, and increase endurance on my “strong” lifts

—A 405lb DL isn’t anything special IMO, but I keep doing it until 405 is easy, and do 405x10, I think thats a great achievement. Maybe i’ll even do 300lbs x 30.

1. Getting to 215-220lbs and achieving 10-13% BF

—I wont be turning heads or anything, but its still pretty good IMO.

1. Various fitness goals with weights and sprints (EX: barbell complexes)

Well enough of a rant.

So how far are you willing to go?

Or why aren’t you willing to strive for more than you have now?[/quote]

Just thought I’d add to the nonsense…

Some of us aren’t even close to 405…not even within 100lbs of it…but we keep at it…

Some of us have a wife, a baby, two jobs and still manage to find time in the day to sleep 6 hours, work, lift for an hour 5 days a week, and spend time with the family. There are 24 hours in the day. I’ve spent mine betting myself, my life and my family.

What have you done today?

Today I benched 170 for 10 reps and 200 for 3 reps. I PR’d on every aspect of my workout. I slapped the beast in the face and made him my bitch. I’ve bettered myself. This is after waking at 5am, training for a couple hours, spending time with the family, going to the “real job”, training myself and now I’m headed back home, eat, family, sleep. Repeat tommorrow.

That desire to be something beyond mediocre isn’t learned or acquired. It’s inborn. If you have that desire you find ways…you find ways.

Get it done.

[quote]pja wrote:
Ramzy18 wrote:
My physical existence is a complete waste I guess since I will become a doctor in pharmacy in 3 years. See what I mean by crap coming out of your mouth? How ironic.

Getting a “doctorate” in pharmacy is a joke. Let me guess you probably go on the weekends right? What type of research do you do? Do you have a thesis? What is the topic? Come back when you plan on getting a
real doctorate…
[/quote]

You do realize that Pharmacy is actually a doctorate level degree, now, don’t you. We have to do research and grand rounds just like med students, as well as practical rotations. Quit talking out of your ass, idiot.

Bantam,

Of course, it’s great that you keep very busy and manage to keep up high activity levels, spend time with the family, and hold down a job. Who wouldn’t respect that?

I HIGHLY disagree with your statement that being hard-driven is inborn. From the ages of 15 to 24, I was not hard-driven or super-disciplined. I wasn’t lazy either, just a more laid-back guy in regard to doing shit and fulfilling goals.

This guy here made this thread to say he doesn’t give a rat’s ass about benching 400 lbs. Why he chose to say this to all of us – I don’t know. But I have nothing wrong with what he says. There are men on here who have alluded that others shouldn’t post on here and engage in discussion on building one’s body UNLESS they’re “gunnin’ for tree-hunnit lbs”, following a 5-way split, and eating 5,000 kcal per day. I respect both parties equally. Some guys really, really care about being huge and are willing to sacrifice to do so. Others don’t give a shit because such sacrifice yields little reward for them: they don’t give a shit about being the biggest guy on the block! And this is reasonably so, since most men WON’T get rewarded for being HUGE; they won’t win a contest, make dough, or get chics from being HUGE!

I kinda agree with the whole why limit yourself thing. If you’re only lifting for maintenance, what’s the point? When I see my numbers go up in all my lifts, that’s motivation not only to lift harder, but to work harder and shoot higher outside of the gym. For me, lifting is self-improvement in its purest form, because not only does it change your body, it changes your perception. The day I hit my goal of 205 on the bench, I walked out of the gym thinking “Well, fuck, if I can do that, why can’t I do more? And why do I need to limit myself to improving in the gym?”

Just my thoughts.

[quote]futurepharm wrote:
pja wrote:
Ramzy18 wrote:
My physical existence is a complete waste I guess since I will become a doctor in pharmacy in 3 years. See what I mean by crap coming out of your mouth? How ironic.

real doctorate…

You do realize that Pharmacy is actually a doctorate level degree, now, don’t you. We have to do research and grand rounds just like med students, as well as practical rotations. Quit talking out of your ass, idiot.
[/quote]

So when I received my doctorate in Engineering 1) I had to carry a minimum of 80 credits (about 3 per class) 2) pass a qualifying exam 3) pass a preliminary exam and 4) defend a thesis. This is similar in other normal PhD fields as well Social Sciences, Physics, Math etc. What you are doing sounds like an advanced PA. Somebody who receives a doctorate should have to write up some sort of thesis in my opinion. If you have to write a thesis then I take back my comments. Otherwise I stand firm. I don’t disregard your degree only that when you come out somebody gets to call you Doctor…

Hell my cousin received her “Doctorate” on Pharm. from URI and she took classes on the weekend for 4 years…I barely left the computer lab when I was going for mine…

[quote]pja wrote:

So when I received my doctorate in Engineering 1) I had to carry a minimum of 80 credits (about 3 per class) 2) pass a qualifying exam 3) pass a preliminary exam and 4) defend a thesis. This is similar in other normal PhD fields as well Social Sciences, Physics, Math etc. What you are doing sounds like an advanced PA. Somebody who receives a doctorate should have to write up some sort of thesis in my opinion. If you have to write a thesis then I take back my comments. Otherwise I stand firm. I don’t disregard your degree only that when you come out somebody gets to call you Doctor…

Hell my cousin received her “Doctorate” on Pharm. from URI and she took classes on the weekend for 4 years…I barely left the computer lab when I was going for mine…

[/quote]

So you clearly did an academic based PhD, of which you should then produce publications to verify that your work was of an accepted standard in terms of peers in your field.

Cool, so then where are your 3 publications from your PhD which are a standard requirement from alot of the top institutes in the world?

Look, if you’ve got a PhD, you will have had to work your ass off for it and I applaud anyone who has one!!!

Once again…FUCK!!

[quote]MODOK wrote:
pja wrote:
futurepharm wrote:
pja wrote:
Ramzy18 wrote:
What in the FUCK are you talking about? A Doctorate in Pharmacy is an undergrad degree followed by 4 years of pharmacy school and a residency if you choose to do one. It took me 10 years to finish everything, BS, PharmD, residency. There are also National boards and state law exams to pass, and a Board Certification if you specialize. Please tell me where I could do this on the weekends for four years. LOL Joke degree? You have zero idea what you are fucking talking about.

We don’t write a thesis because its a CLINICAL doctorate, like an MD, DO, OD, DVM, etc.

[/quote]

No need to get all pissy on me I was not swearing at you was I? The weekend thing I mentioned was after her undergrad degree and she indeed did take classes on the weekend. However it is possible that I was unaware of any clinical type work she may have performed. Is the track you mentioned standard for all schools and states? Either way I apologize for my ignorance with regards to the subject. Congratulations on your hard work.

[quote]GluteusGigantis wrote:
pja wrote:

So you clearly did an academic based PhD, of which you should then produce publications to verify that your work was of an accepted standard in terms of peers in your field.

Cool, so then where are your 3 publications from your PhD which are a standard requirement from alot of the top institutes in the world?

[/quote]
I’m kind of anonymous on here but if you really want to see all of my publications and promise not to
divulge my identity message me and I’ll point you in the correct direction.

[quote]pja wrote:
GluteusGigantis wrote:
pja wrote:

I’m kind of anonymous on here but if you really want to see all of my publications and promise not to

[/quote]

How did you get stuff published with the way you write?

Was your cousin already a Pharmacist? Because there are programs to complete coursework from BPharm to PharmD

By your measure, are Medical Doctors really “Doctors”? They don’t defend a thesis…

Pharmacists have to take licensing exams to practice, have to take over 100 hours of graduate level coursework + practice rotations (sometimes right beside med students) as well as present Grand Rounds to an audience of peers.

My sister got a Ph.D and never had to take a class. Her research was her coursework. She audited classes to help her with her research.

And who gives a fuck about a Ph.D in social sciences? May as well get a Ph.D in hotel management…

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
pja wrote:
GluteusGigantis wrote:
pja wrote:

How did you get stuff published with the way you write? [/quote]

Was there something incorrect with my grammar in the above sentence? Plus I do spend
a bit more time proofreading my papers than I do posts on here : )

[quote]futurepharm wrote:
Was your cousin already a Pharmacist? Because there are programs to complete coursework from BPharm to PharmD

By your measure, are Medical Doctors really “Doctors”? They don’t defend a thesis…

Pharmacists have to take licensing exams to practice, have to take over 100 hours of graduate level coursework + practice rotations (sometimes right beside med students) as well as present Grand Rounds to an audience of peers.

My sister got a Ph.D and never had to take a class. Her research was her coursework. She audited classes to help her with her research.

And who gives a fuck about a Ph.D in social sciences? May as well get a Ph.D in hotel management…

[/quote]

Yes I believe she had her Bachelors in Pharmacy already when she started doing the PharmD.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
pja wrote:
GluteusGigantis wrote:
pja wrote:

How did you get stuff published with the way you write? [/quote]

I don’t see anything wrong with his writing? It might be a little awkward, but most engineers write/speak awkwardly. And research papers don’t have to flow the same way essays or stories do, so there is less emphasis on the actually writing, so I think that “the way he writes” is fine.

[quote]pja wrote:

Yes I believe she had her Bachelors in Pharmacy already when she started doing the PharmD.[/quote]

So it took her 4 years to take an extra year of coursework (if she’d gone back to school full-time), but that’s not ‘doctor’ enough for you? It was so important for her she was willing to give up 4 years of weekends to get it, and you can’t even respect that enough to give her one smidge of respect for her sacrifice. Classy guy you are.

With threads like these, who needs cable TV? (oh god.)