Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
jstreet0204 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
jstreet0204 wrote:
dwall33 wrote:
SSC wrote:
dwall33 wrote:
I’d agree with this thread if the reasoning behind the title was this:
I don’t want to bench 405 because all I care about is the progress I make with my physique. The weight I use is inconsequential, and numbers are nothing more than bragging statistics.

You don’t really believe that numbers are nothing more than bragging statistics, do you?

If so… wow.

I don’t actually think that, but really if you think about it, what does it matter how much you lift if you are a bodybuilder? Its not a competition of strength.

There is some truth to that. Generally if you get stronger you will get bigger, but when comparing differnt people a bigger muscle is not always a stronger muscle. I’ve read that Arnold never benched more than 450, less than me but his size and muscularity blow mine away.
Here is an intersting article. Not all bodybuilders, but some pretty big dudes some of which I would have thought were much stronger than they are.

Oh and I said “Generally if you get stronger you’ll get bigger” only because there is a certain amount of technique involved in exercises like bench press that can make your numbers go up drastically if you aren’t using them.
The only muscle that gets bigger then is the ego muscle :slight_smile:

You do realize most people will NEVER bench press 450lbs?

Just checking.

Also, I am sure that was FOR REPS and not some one rep max. I do 450 for 10 reps as my last set on pressing movements when training chest. I can make that exercise even harder with the same weight by either holding the reps for longer periods of time or even by how I lift it. That is why there seems to be some confusion here. Powerlifters judge strength by the most they can do one time. Bodybuilders use weight to affect the target muscle group and when going that heavy (as in over 400lbs) there are many ways to stimulate it even more than simply worry about a one rep max weight.

Ha ha, most people will who even step foot in a gym won’t break out of the 200’s. Fewer will ever get past 1.5 times their body weight. You’d like to think the ones that show enough interest to post here would be the exception.

There was an Arnold special edition of one of the bodybuilding mags a year or two back, and he said that was the most he ever did once, and I was pretty surpised. It may very well be that a 1 rep max was never a priority. None of this is however should be used as an excuse to place limits on ones goals like OP seems to have done here, so I didn’t mean to derail the thread here.

I’d expect Arnold to be benching 375-405*6-10 in his prime, size-wise, with that horrible scare-crow form :wink:

Guys the size of McGrath usually do around 40510-12 or so, Ronnie-size gets you around 4958-10 in the off-season… Of course it’s different from person to person, but just to give people a rough idea.
And that is obviously not PL form.
There are a few guys who semi-tuck their elbows though (Warren, for example).
I also don’t think that there is much difference between full reps and half reps in the bottom portion of ROM, in terms of how many reps people get with the same weight with bb-form.

Btw, while they had progression in mind as well, the routines of the guys during Arnold’s time and a little later imo weren’t really all that well-suited to for becoming as large/strong(for reps) as possible.
Nowadays, standard bb routines ultimately allow for more total progress imo and guys back then were still way too concerned with the pump and doing too much random shit.
And let’s not forget that their dietary views weren’t exactly great either. As little fat as possible in their diets and too little protein etc.

I bet that Arnold and co could, using the same (probably quite a bit less, actually) amount of drugs as they did back then, get significantly bigger by using modern routines, focus on progression and modern day bb dietary principles…
And not to forget some of the nice HS equipment we have now, though that’s obviously of secondary importance compared to the other factors.

Ok, I take back my apology for derailing the thread, this is much more intersting than the point the OP tried to make. :slight_smile:

[/quote] Oh, all the weights I mentioned are off-season weights btw.
Dunno if Arnold ever had a proper off-season during his competitive career and after coming leaving europe… Looks way too lean in any of the vids I could find.
And as I said… Their routines weren’t that great compared to what we have today.
If I were to go to failure or close to failure for 3 sets or so ((10, 8,) 8, 6, 4 or whatever the hell Arnold often did back then), I wouldn’t be able to perform maximally on the last set either…

I only found one very short bit of flat-bench footage… His technique really was terrible (looked like he actually let the weight drop a tad towards his feet at times, that must have hurt in the shoulders…), I think he had 3pps and a smaller plate on per side. Oh well. Long-ass arms + crappy technique and prefatigue = lower weights. Guess 365-385 or so for 8 or so if he had been fresh should have been possible.
Or maybe he did incline before… He wrote about how he had to prioritize the clavicular portion of the chest…

[/quote]

[quote]kylec72 wrote:
I’ve only read a small portion of this thread, and from my take a lot of you feel this is not “BODYBUILDING” and should not be included in the “BODYBUILDING” forum. Why then don’t the mods MOD? That is the purpose of a moderator to ensure the topics stay on topic (novel concept, eh?) for each particular forum. If someone started a ‘omg look at this ass’ thread in the Politics forum certainly it would get moved to SAMA, right? Or am I missing something here? Instead of allowing all this pointless crap to clutter the “BODYBUILDING” forum why aren’t these threads moved to their appropriate section?

There are countless posts of people expressing their displeasure with many of the threads in the “BODYBUILDING” forum not being related to “BODYBUILDING”. Many of them ought to be in the Beginners forum or the suggested idea of creating a General Fitness forum. If someone posted about bench shirts in the “BODYBUILDING” forum that ought to be moved to Strength Sports. If someone posted about running shoes (a topic listed on the front page) that ought to be moved to General Fitness.

If someone posted about ‘does this routine look good’ or ‘i just finished bulking what now’ that ought to be moved to Beginners. This is all very simple and basic moderating. Move threads to where they belong already and keep the “BODYBUILDING” forum strictly about “BODYBUILDING”.[/quote]

This site isn’t like many other BB forums, where if you make a single error in posting your post gets deleted and you get a 6-12 month ban.

Here is is self regulated for the most part - with the posters calling shit or not. We have little need to have mods delete shit because some find it offensive or whatever.

If one wants something moved to say beginners or off topic, they ask and it is usually done for them… other than that it is fairly self regulating.

TBH i personally dislike many of the posts/pov/topics and beginner-esque thoughts in this forum, and after i realised i spent most of my time bitching about it (like many do even after many years of posting here) i realised that if i didn’t like it, to stop fucking posting.

So i did! I dont believe in complaining for the sake of complaining - if one is unhappy with something either put up with it and shut up, or do something about it - i take that attitude to my PT clients too (a little less harshly put).

I spend most of my time in Steroids with those meat-heads, as generally speaking the regulars there are as dedicated, educated, forward thinking and open-minded as i could hope for in people to discuss the iron sports with.

Of course i occasionally come back to check if it changed from a ‘Beginners 2’ forum to a ‘bodybuilding’ forum, and i enjoy a few posts, but other than that… i go to where i enjoy the most. And it is generally well accepted that those who dont like it should do the same rather than need to be banned or have mods ‘moderate’.

JMO :wink:

[quote] Brook wrote:
kylec72 wrote:
I’ve only read a small portion of this thread, and from my take a lot of you feel this is not “BODYBUILDING” and should not be included in the “BODYBUILDING” forum. Why then don’t the mods MOD? That is the purpose of a moderator to ensure the topics stay on topic (novel concept, eh?) for each particular forum. If someone started a ‘omg look at this ass’ thread in the Politics forum certainly it would get moved to SAMA, right? Or am I missing something here? Instead of allowing all this pointless crap to clutter the “BODYBUILDING” forum why aren’t these threads moved to their appropriate section?

There are countless posts of people expressing their displeasure with many of the threads in the “BODYBUILDING” forum not being related to “BODYBUILDING”. Many of them ought to be in the Beginners forum or the suggested idea of creating a General Fitness forum. If someone posted about bench shirts in the “BODYBUILDING” forum that ought to be moved to Strength Sports. If someone posted about running shoes (a topic listed on the front page) that ought to be moved to General Fitness.

If someone posted about ‘does this routine look good’ or ‘i just finished bulking what now’ that ought to be moved to Beginners. This is all very simple and basic moderating. Move threads to where they belong already and keep the “BODYBUILDING” forum strictly about “BODYBUILDING”.

This site isn’t like many other BB forums, where if you make a single error in posting your post gets deleted and you get a 6-12 month ban.

Here is is self regulated for the most part - with the posters calling shit or not. We have little need to have mods delete shit because some find it offensive or whatever.

If one wants something moved to say beginners or off topic, they ask and it is usually done for them… other than that it is fairly self regulating.

TBH i personally dislike many of the posts/pov/topics and beginner-esque thoughts in this forum, and after i realised i spent most of my time bitching about it (like many do even after many years of posting here) i realised that if i didn’t like it, to stop fucking posting.

So i did! I dont believe in complaining for the sake of complaining - if one is unhappy with something either put up with it and shut up, or do something about it - i take that attitude to my PT clients too (a little less harshly put).

I spend most of my time in Steroids with those meat-heads, as generally speaking the regulars there are as dedicated, educated, forward thinking and open-minded as i could hope for in people to discuss the iron sports with.

Of course i occasionally come back to check if it changed from a ‘Beginners 2’ forum to a ‘bodybuilding’ forum, and i enjoy a few posts, but other than that… i go to where i enjoy the most. And it is generally well accepted that those who dont like it should do the same rather than need to be banned or have mods ‘moderate’.

JMO ;)[/quote]

Umm, okay? I’m merely pointing out how quite a few members who are explicitly interested in “BODYBUILDING” are turned off by this forum due to it’s rampant tendency to drift away from “BODYBUILDING”. Should the “BODYBUILDING” forum be abandoned by those interested in “BODYBUILDING” for those who aren’t interested and care more about general fitness? That does not make sense to me. I’m only hinting towards some basic logic here–the “BODYBUILDING” forum should only be about “BODYBUILDING”.

If there’s a basketball court and a group of guys want to play basketball on the basketball court, yet there’s a small group of guys skateboarding on the court, what should the guys who want to play basketball do? Just go over to the tennis court and play basketball there?

It really shouldn’t be a big deal. A little moderation here and there to help keep the forums on topic. I thought this was universal amongst all quality forums.

[quote]AimHigh wrote:
Whoever said benching 225 for 20 reps was not strong is a jackass.[/quote]

It’s all relative man… At one point I would have thought that too. I’ve done burnout sets after my working sets and got more than 20 with 225. When you get to a certain strength level that many of us are, and are around others that are at a much higher level, then it doesn’t seem like such a big deal. Nothing wrong with making it a goal. Just don’t make it a stopping point.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I do 450 for 10 reps as my last set on pressing movements when training chest. [/quote]

if you think nonchalantly throwing in that you can bench “oh i cant remember, oh yeah thats right 450lbs for 10 reps” is impressing a single person in this thread you couldnt be more wrong. clearly you didnt even read the OP. U IZ GUNA HERT UR SHOLEDERZ DOOD. on top of that you did it on a HS machine which is even worse for the rotatorary cuffs. once you blow a rotatotorary cuff you wont be so boastful.

btw, for the dweebs and pussies here, how you can argue ON A BODYBUILDING SITE with someone who can fucking bench 450 for ten count them 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10, about wanting to be a little pussy for the rest of your life is fucking bizarre.

Yeah I dont want to lift 405 either. Or lift weights, that’d be hard. I don’t even like lifting my glass of diet coke, that’s why we have straws… Ugh, this thread is making me dizzy… from the gayness…

[quote]jstreet0204 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
jstreet0204 wrote:
dwall33 wrote:
SSC wrote:
dwall33 wrote:
I’d agree with this thread if the reasoning behind the title was this:
I don’t want to bench 405 because all I care about is the progress I make with my physique. The weight I use is inconsequential, and numbers are nothing more than bragging statistics.

You don’t really believe that numbers are nothing more than bragging statistics, do you?

If so… wow.

I don’t actually think that, but really if you think about it, what does it matter how much you lift if you are a bodybuilder? Its not a competition of strength.

There is some truth to that. Generally if you get stronger you will get bigger, but when comparing differnt people a bigger muscle is not always a stronger muscle. I’ve read that Arnold never benched more than 450, less than me but his size and muscularity blow mine away.
Here is an intersting article. Not all bodybuilders, but some pretty big dudes some of which I would have thought were much stronger than they are.

Oh and I said “Generally if you get stronger you’ll get bigger” only because there is a certain amount of technique involved in exercises like bench press that can make your numbers go up drastically if you aren’t using them.
The only muscle that gets bigger then is the ego muscle :slight_smile:

You do realize most people will NEVER bench press 450lbs?

Just checking.

Also, I am sure that was FOR REPS and not some one rep max. I do 450 for 10 reps as my last set on pressing movements when training chest. I can make that exercise even harder with the same weight by either holding the reps for longer periods of time or even by how I lift it. That is why there seems to be some confusion here. Powerlifters judge strength by the most they can do one time. Bodybuilders use weight to affect the target muscle group and when going that heavy (as in over 400lbs) there are many ways to stimulate it even more than simply worry about a one rep max weight.

Ha ha, most people will who even step foot in a gym won’t break out of the 200’s. Fewer will ever get past 1.5 times their body weight. You’d like to think the ones that show enough interest to post here would be the exception.

There was an Arnold special edition of one of the bodybuilding mags a year or two back, and he said that was the most he ever did once, and I was pretty surpised. It may very well be that a 1 rep max was never a priority. None of this is however should be used as an excuse to place limits on ones goals like OP seems to have done here, so I didn’t mean to derail the thread here.

[/quote]

I got to ~1.5 times my bw recently but its not like I strived to hit a certain #, I just kept adding more weight and got there eventually.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
rotatorary cuffs. once you blow a rotatotorary cuff you wont be so boastful.

What the fuck is a “rotatory cuff”? That must be something that got bundled in with the vaginas at the body assembly plant, as I seem to be missing mine.
[/quote]

its a joke man. thats why i spelt it even more ridiculously the second time. i was trying to show how some of these dweebs are so clueless and ignorant about training even though they think they are experts.

[quote]stringer wrote:
Professor X wrote:

I do 450 for 10 reps as my last set on pressing movements when training chest.

if you think nonchalantly throwing in that you can bench “oh i cant remember, oh yeah thats right 450lbs for 10 reps” is impressing a single person in this thread you couldnt be more wrong. clearly you didnt even read the OP. U IZ GUNA HERT UR SHOLEDERZ DOOD. on top of that you did it on a HS machine which is even worse for the rotatorary cuffs. once you blow a rotatotorary cuff you wont be so boastful.

btw, for the dweebs and pussies here, how you can argue ON A BODYBUILDING SITE with someone who can fucking bench 450 for ten count them 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10, about wanting to be a little pussy for the rest of your life is fucking bizarre.

[/quote]

You don’t know that he is going to blow a rotator. I would think someone who was methodical enough over the years to develop that much strength will most likely always warm up properly, execute the reps in a safe manner as well as know their limits on any given day. If he can get ten reps, than it is only moderately heavy for him.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
stringer wrote:
Professor X wrote:

You don’t know that he is going to blow a rotator. I would think someone who was methodical enough over the years to develop that much strength will most likely always warm up properly, execute the reps in a safe manner as well as know their limits on any given day. If he can get ten reps, than it is only moderately heavy for him.[/quote]

are you fucking kidding me? can you not see i am not being serious and am being ironic? is it really necessary to put “;)” or “jk” or “lololol” after every single fucking word?

i have just posted an almost identical post to another stupid fuck called utah lama who seems to have the reading ability of an ape.

either some of you cant read effectively or skim read or else are just plain stupid.

[quote]dankid wrote:
This same reasoning can be applied to any goal. I am not willing to diet and train hard enough to get extremely ripped (2-6%). Im not willing to train and eat to be 250 lbs. You can call this being a pussy, or being lazy, but this is the way EVERYONE works. [/quote]

I understand this! Yet do you realize you made a thread in a bodybuilding forum? Where many have some of these goals? So what gave you the odacity to barge in here and warrant a thread for your sole beliefs? That goes against what most shoot for or have achieved here in this forum.

[quote]dankid wrote:
With every goal, there are things you have to give up to achieve that goal. Even top level athletes are caught in the same situation. Sure, they have better genetics than most of us, but one key factor is that they are willing to give up more to reach their goals than the rest of us. Good for them. Im not willing to give up that much, and thats why im not an elite athlete.

I think it would be cool to run a 4:00 mile, or run a marathon, but im not willing to do it. Not only do i hate running, but this would be counter-productive to the things that I value more.[/quote]

Just filler, you already made this point in the first part I quoted, except you tried to bring top level athletes and marathon runners into this(wtf does this have to do with anything?).

That’s great. Point me though to these others that say it means “nothing”. If you hit 195 and this was a goal, this is progress. Achievements being made in your name. No one elses.

You seem to make it as if some are here to cut your achievements short. If you’re working hard and progressing. Why the fuck should you care?

[quote]dankid wrote:
Here is what I am willing to strive for at the moment. Im sure as I achieve goals, i’ll make new ones.

1. Bring up my strength on neglected lifts, and increase endurance on my “strong” lifts

—A 405lb DL isn’t anything special IMO, but I keep doing it until 405 is easy, and do 405x10, I think thats a great achievement. Maybe i’ll even do 300lbs x 30.

1. Getting to 215-220lbs and achieving 10-13% BF

—I wont be turning heads or anything, but its still pretty good IMO.

1. Various fitness goals with weights and sprints (EX: barbell complexes)

Well enough of a rant.

So how far are you willing to go?

Or why aren’t you willing to strive for more than you have now?[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you know how many countless people have this mindset? Yet no even one felt they had to make a thread about it. Cause it’s common sense to keep things like this to yourself. Individuality is a wonderful thing. Yet don’t go rubbing it in other peoples faces. Just cause you “think” others might not be with you. Or are against your every goal and achievement.

So #1 dankid don’t ever step into this forum, cause you’re against what bodybuilding encompasses for a good majority.

#2 Ramzy you’re annoying/irritating with your posts blah blah blah I’m student this and that excuse, we have guys here with PhDs and some med students who have some of the most impressive physiques on this site. Some of which built bulks of their physique going through school.
(and if you’re a troll, FML you wasted my time)

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:

(and if you’re a troll, FML you wasted my time)[/quote]

Sorry to say, but you certainly wasted your time. No one can be that fucking stupid without trying. At least you ended up with a great avatar out of the deal.

He makes a respectable point, but it is worth so much less than the actual article by Charles Staley. The original is named “why I don’t want to clean 275” or something. It’s in the Author’s Locker Room.

Basically, if you’re going to do something, don’t expect elite results with anything below 100% effort. If you’re not going to commit that, don’t even bother with elite expectations.

[quote]stringer wrote:
MytchBucanan wrote:
stringer wrote:
Professor X wrote:

You don’t know that he is going to blow a rotator. I would think someone who was methodical enough over the years to develop that much strength will most likely always warm up properly, execute the reps in a safe manner as well as know their limits on any given day. If he can get ten reps, than it is only moderately heavy for him.

are you fucking kidding me? can you not see i am not being serious and am being ironic? is it really necessary to put “;)” or “jk” or “lololol” after every single fucking word?

i have just posted an almost identical post to another stupid fuck called utah lama who seems to have the reading ability of an ape.

either some of you cant read effectively or skim read or else are just plain stupid.

[/quote]

I gotcha…

[quote]kylec72 wrote:
Brook wrote:
kylec72 wrote:

If someone posted about ‘does this routine look good’ or ‘i just finished bulking what now’ that ought to be moved to Beginners. This is all very simple and basic moderating. Move threads to where they belong already and keep the “BODYBUILDING” forum strictly about “BODYBUILDING”.

JMO :wink:

Umm, okay? I’m merely pointing out how quite a few members who are explicitly interested in “BODYBUILDING” are turned off by this forum due to it’s rampant tendency to drift away from “BODYBUILDING”. Should the “BODYBUILDING” forum be abandoned by those interested in “BODYBUILDING” for those who aren’t interested and care more about general fitness? That does not make sense to me. I’m only hinting towards some basic logic here–the “BODYBUILDING” forum should only be about “BODYBUILDING”.

If there’s a basketball court and a group of guys want to play basketball on the basketball court, yet there’s a small group of guys skateboarding on the court, what should the guys who want to play basketball do? Just go over to the tennis court and play basketball there?

It really shouldn’t be a big deal. A little moderation here and there to help keep the forums on topic. I thought this was universal amongst all quality forums.[/quote]

I agree pal, this sadly makes this a mediocre BB forum with some decent posters… but i was simply explaining what i have seen in my ~2 years of posting which makes it less moderated.

[quote]stringer wrote:

[/quote]

Wow,

Are you usually this agressive on an INTERNET forum… or have i first seen you at a weird time ?

Chill out… again i shall mention it’s an INTERNET forum, where all sorts of people get the right to post here, and by the way if you think Utah Lama is an “ape” then you must talk to some very educated apes.

You aren’t Tarzan are you ?

P.S.
I just know im going to get my own “How do you train” silly thread 2 minutes after he reads this.

[quote] Brook wrote:

I agree pal, this sadly makes this a mediocre BB forum with some decent posters… but i was simply explaining what i have seen in my ~2 years of posting which makes it less moderated.
[/quote]

Brook, at the risk of one of the illiterate morons here thinking i am “calling you out” you sound very knowledgeable and serious with training and diet. if you dont mind me asking, what kind of numbers are you putting up? cos based on your profile you also sound like a big dude.

[quote]stringer wrote:

Brook, at the risk of one of the illiterate morons here thinking i am “calling you out” you sound very knowledgeable and serious with training and diet. if you dont mind me asking, what kind of numbers are you putting up? cos based on your profile you also sound like a big dude.
[/quote]

Why oh why do you care ?

Really man you have populated the forum with multiple threads “calling people out” or whatever you think it is…

I don’t get it why would you care who puts up what numbers, what the multiple threads you created not enough ?

Everyone who got big did the exact same things:

1. Ate more food than needed.

2. Trained consistently

3. Did the above 2 for for multiple multiple years

And thats all there ever is to it, simple as.

See i summed up bodybuilding into 3 simple tasks.

[quote]Ramzy18 wrote:
I think his point is that in order to increase the weight you want to lift, your lifestyle will need to become stricter (nutrition wise, timing of everything you do, etc…) and in order to do these things there comes a point when you are sacrificing other things to do that such as family, job, and other hobbies which he values more. It’s a question of value - what do you value more? That’s all it is - and that needs to be respected.[/quote]

Yes working out 3 days a week and eating enough protein and not eating junk all day…45 minutes 3 days a week will certainly require CRAZY sacrifices. I know many of us have had to quit our jobs and leave our families just to pull it off. So this lowly thread evoked a couple questions in my mind.

If bodybuilding/weightlifting isn’t enuf of a priority to push yourself 3 days a week and eat right, why is he posting on T-Nation when it clearly isn’t one of his bigger interests/goals?

Also, apparently he has enuf time to both read as well as create pointless, stupid threads on T-Nation but not enuf to hit the weights seriously. So I guess posting on message boards falls under one of those “hobbies he values more”?

Why don’t we just make it really easy for you…if you’re not trying for the exceptional just go ahead settle for the mediocrity of coach potatosity. Closing thoughts: you did remind me a little of one of my 150lb friends who would sometimes mention he should start “working out and dieting” while yet on other ocassions stated “he didn’t wanna be muscular or strong etc”.

I clicked this thread hoping to see “I don’t want to bench 405…I want to bench 600”…but what i found was definitely a let down…