T Nation

Why I Can't Be Muslim

http://www.ahiida.com/index.php?a=results&subcat=59

this is crazy!!!

More (fat) women should wear that. Not out of modesty, but out of decency to the rest of us. Not that this thing could come close to sufficiently shielding my eyes from the horror of a cottage cheese planetoid.

[quote]jawara wrote:
this is crazy!!![/quote]

What exactly do you find crazy about that?

Is it the choice some women make to cover up and their refusal to be treated as mere sex objects? Or is it that a business has seen the demand that there is a demand?

And what does this have to do with the reason you can’t be a Muslim?

[quote]etaco wrote:
Not out of modesty, but out of decency to the rest of us.[/quote]

Surely, as far as an outside observer is concerned, the two notions are impossible to discern.

[quote]lixy wrote:
etaco wrote:
Not out of modesty, but out of decency to the rest of us.

Surely, as far as an outside observer is concerned, the two notions are impossible to discern.
[/quote]

In the context in which I wrote it though, modesty would be defined as “not showing off the goods,” whereas “decency to the rest of us” was clearly targeted towards those (fat asses) who are offensive to the eyes. The girl modeling in the link wouldn’t have been violently offensive to the eyes in skimpier attire, whereas this one would:
http://badgas.co.uk/moments/moment_095.jpg

[quote]lixy wrote:
jawara wrote:
this is crazy!!!

What exactly do you find crazy about that?

Is it the choice some women make to cover up and their refusal to be treated as mere sex objects? Or is it that a business has seen the demand that there is a demand?

And what does this have to do with the reason you can’t be a Muslim? [/quote]

Maybe he was referring to the choice some MEN make to disallow women to wear what they want in the name of modesty which is forced upon them by their religion.

I thought the answer would be “Because I was born to Christian parents who have already supplied me with a set of semi-coherent delusions from which I can pick and choose to justify all my prejudices.”

My bad.

Here’s another reason.
http://www.nbc10.com/news/11110154/detail.html

Wonder what the body count would be with pogo sticks, skateboards and fishing poles?

[quote]lixy wrote:
jawara wrote:
this is crazy!!!

What exactly do you find crazy about that?

[/quote]

When all the men start wearing that too I will be happier.

What is the difference between our opnion of modesty concerning Muslim women and Europe’s opinion of ours? Isn’t it all relative to one’s upbringing?

[quote]Cunnivore wrote:
Maybe he was referring to the choice some MEN make to disallow women to wear what they want in the name of modesty which is forced upon them by their religion.[/quote]

That is a long shot. The guy gave a link to a swimsuit ad and wrote a word with lots of exclamation points. But let’s assume that’s the case; All the non-married girls I know that wear a veil have done so out of conviction and despite their parents’ opposition to the practice. Among all the married ones, not one has been told by a man to do so.

Yes, in some dark theocracies (e.g: Saudi Arabia), women can be forced to cover up but generalizing that to say Islam has anything to do with it is ridiculously misinformed.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Cunnivore wrote:
Maybe he was referring to the choice some MEN make to disallow women to wear what they want in the name of modesty which is forced upon them by their religion.

That is a long shot. The guy gave a link to a swimsuit ad and wrote a word with lots of exclamation points. But let’s assume that’s the case; All the non-married girls I know that wear a veil have done so out of conviction and despite their parents’ opposition to the practice. Among all the married ones, not one has been told by a man to do so.

Yes, in some dark theocracies (e.g: Saudi Arabia), women can be forced to cover up but generalizing that to say Islam has anything to do with it is ridiculously misinformed.

[/quote]

That’s right…you said it… DARK THEOCRACIES…like the county of Saudi Arabia is some insignificant Islamic engine that hardly has any influence over the Islamic religion.

The Islamic religion inherently devalues women.

[quote]rugbyhit wrote:
lixy wrote:
Cunnivore wrote:
Maybe he was referring to the choice some MEN make to disallow women to wear what they want in the name of modesty which is forced upon them by their religion.

That is a long shot. The guy gave a link to a swimsuit ad and wrote a word with lots of exclamation points. But let’s assume that’s the case; All the non-married girls I know that wear a veil have done so out of conviction and despite their parents’ opposition to the practice. Among all the married ones, not one has been told by a man to do so.

Yes, in some dark theocracies (e.g: Saudi Arabia), women can be forced to cover up but generalizing that to say Islam has anything to do with it is ridiculously misinformed.

That’s right…you said it… DARK THEOCRACIES…like the county of Saudi Arabia is some insignificant Islamic engine that hardly has any influence over the Islamic religion.

The Islamic religion inherently devalues women.
[/quote]

And our western society doesn’t? All we’ve done for women is increase their sex appeal to the point where all most men see in women is sex and nothing else. If that’s not devaluation, I have no idea what BS is going through your head.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:

And our western society doesn’t? All we’ve done for women is increase their sex appeal to the point where all most men see in women is sex and nothing else. If that’s not devaluation, I have no idea what BS is going through your head.[/quote]

Along with the right to vote, drive cars etc.

Are you seriously comparing Suadi Arabias treatment of women to the western society and seeing them as equal?

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
And our western society doesn’t? All we’ve done for women is increase their sex appeal to the point where all most men see in women is sex and nothing else.[/quote]

Enter…the phyisical fitness industry.

[quote]pookie wrote:
I thought the answer would be “Because I was born to Christian parents who have already supplied me with a set of semi-coherent delusions from which I can pick and choose to justify all my prejudices.”

My bad.

[/quote]

From whence do your delusions come then Pookie? Perhaps you are naturally semi-coherent?

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
rugbyhit wrote:
lixy wrote:
Cunnivore wrote:
Maybe he was referring to the choice some MEN make to disallow women to wear what they want in the name of modesty which is forced upon them by their religion.

That is a long shot. The guy gave a link to a swimsuit ad and wrote a word with lots of exclamation points. But let’s assume that’s the case; All the non-married girls I know that wear a veil have done so out of conviction and despite their parents’ opposition to the practice. Among all the married ones, not one has been told by a man to do so.

Yes, in some dark theocracies (e.g: Saudi Arabia), women can be forced to cover up but generalizing that to say Islam has anything to do with it is ridiculously misinformed.

That’s right…you said it… DARK THEOCRACIES…like the county of Saudi Arabia is some insignificant Islamic engine that hardly has any influence over the Islamic religion.

The Islamic religion inherently devalues women.

And our western society doesn’t? All we’ve done for women is increase their sex appeal to the point where all most men see in women is sex and nothing else. If that’s not devaluation, I have no idea what BS is going through your head.[/quote]

All men see in women is sex, thats your quote. Whats your point, that Islamic culture is not as bad when compared to a western cultures value on women?

And give me a break…if you what to look to Hollywood, print-ad in magazines and a boys college dorm rooms for your sense of reality of how women are viewed, that could be a conclusion you could reach. But women in western society enjoy a great amount of liberal social equality. Not perfect, but, as I originally stated, better than the Islamic culture.

[quote]rugbyhit wrote:
That’s right…you said it… DARK THEOCRACIES…like the county of Saudi Arabia is some insignificant Islamic engine that hardly has any influence over the Islamic religion. [/quote]

Screw the Saudis! I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. They have a ass-backward mysoginic extremist interpretation of religion. They are corrupt and do not serve the interests of their people.

I dare you to give me anything that devalues women in Islam. Islam has liberated them at a time when Occidental women were treated like shit.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
And our western society doesn’t? All we’ve done for women is increase their sex appeal to the point where all most men see in women is sex and nothing else.[/quote]

What you mean they’re actually good at something else?

I though most women gave that up long ago and just started being mostly hoes.

[quote]rugbyhit wrote:
And give me a break…if you what to look to Hollywood, print-ad in magazines and a boys college dorm rooms for your sense of reality of how women are viewed, that could be a conclusion you could reach. But women in western society enjoy a great amount of liberal social equality. Not perfect, but, as I originally stated, better than the Islamic culture.
[/quote]

In that same vein where do you get your information about Islamic culture? Documentaries, news, or first hand from actual Muslim women and men? I dare say it is probably all based on what you’ve been told to believe by western culture.