T Nation

Why Hasn't My BF% Changed?

i have been in preseason track since december. track season is about to start this thursday. my sprint times have gotten better but my body fat still looks the same. i dropped 16s off my 400m and i dropped about 4s off my 200m. now i can run a 74s 400m and a 30s 200m. lately the workouts have been harder.

i train hard 4 days a week at school but my body has’t changed that much.
i have gotten stronger. before i use to struggle with 5 push ups but now i can do about 15 push ups. im a 16 year old 6ft 1in 163lb boy. my bf is about 13-15%

i really want to get a better looking body before summer but at this rate i feel i won’t be able to have it by then. will my bf change a lot when season starts since the workouts will be harder.

is it my diet. i usually eat enough protein such as bbq grilled chicken breasts and sub sandwhiches at my school lunch every day. i drink about 2-3 bottles of water a day. for dinner i either eat a bowl of rice or pasta

sometimes i do eat sweets. once in awhile i will eat a cookie or a couple of chips but thats it.

tell your mom and dad to make you a good lunch to take to school. forget the subway junk. . eat a good breakfast , have a healthy snack, your good lunch mom packs for you, a good snack and then dinner mom makes… pretty simple. then keep training hard… dont miss any workouts… you’ll be fine…

How are you measuring your body fat?

Also, with those stats I wouldn’t be surprised if the lack of a noticeable change is because you have very little muscle to show in the first place, so dropping fat might not do anything for your looks. For an extreme example of this look up some people who’ve been in concentration camps or had anorexia. Very little fat on them, but very little muscle as well, and as a result they look horrible.

Another thing to do might be to think about it this way: if you put on muscle while keeping roughly the same amount of body fat that you currently have, your overall percentage of body fat will decrease and you’ll have more muscle to show off. At this stage I’d advocate just continuing to build muscle and not worrying about so much for now.

You have no clue what you are talking about.
Body fat the way people talk about it is a myth.
We have organs, bones, muscles, skin, fat and many have junk.

Junk is not needed and most call that fat(it is fat or water retention or a mix of the 2). Just cutting your salt intake might help and avoiding prepared meals is an easy way.
People say it is costly to eat quality but they are ignorants.
Potatoes are cheap and healthy but chips are expensive and far from healthy
Avoiding water retention will make you leaner well it will not but maybe you are not fat.
What is your pressure?(most pharmacies offer free testing)
To run 400M i do not think you need huge muscles.
Your number 1 goal is ?

[quote]BHappy wrote:

Junk is not needed and most call that fat(it is fat or water retention or a mix of the 2). Just cutting your salt intake might help and avoiding prepared meals is an easy way.
Avoiding water retention will make you leaner well it will not but maybe you are not fat.
Your number 1 goal is ?[/quote]

Please do not listen to this guy. He is a fucking idiot. Body fat does exist, and you do not need to worry about water retention. Having water in your body is very important.

To your post, dude don’t worry about it. You aren’t fat at all, you just don’t have much muscle. You’re eating right and getting better, focus on that and your body will improve over time. You just have to be patient

Okay Bolt, we need to talk. You might be tired of me chiming in on your threads, but… tough.

You’ve started a bunch of threads over the last few months asking for advice and you’ve gotten some very good info about training and nutrition from some smart guys, but you’ve followed none of it.

In your first thread here, last September, you asked about bulking and cutting for track (among other things).

In that thread, I tried to warn you: “If you want to join the track team, train in a way that makes you a better track athlete. A side effect of that training will almost-definitely be a better physique, but training like a bodybuilder while wanting to run track will give you very slow, very inefficient progress in both.”

And, guess what… that’s 100% exactly the situation you’re now in. You’ve jumped between wanting to get a 6-pack, wanting to train for track, wanting to do bodyweight stuff, and it’s been five months and you’ve made basically zero physical progress.

Five months ago, you had a much better chance to focus on building a great base of strength and muscle. Now that you’re running five days a week, it’s going to be much more difficult.

[quote]libanbolt wrote:
i usually eat enough protein such as bbq grilled chicken breasts and sub sandwhiches at my school lunch every day. i drink about 2-3 bottles of water a day. for dinner i either eat a bowl of rice or pasta[/quote]
Again, five months ago, I gave you a link to an article literally titled “The Athlete Diet” to get some good nutrition tips, but you completely ignored it. Based on what you just said, right now you’re eating like shit for someone with your goals.

Dude, you dug yourself into this hole and you’re going to stay right where you are unless you seriously put some effort into it. A huge part of seeing any real results is going to be up to you actually taking some of the advice you’re being offered and putting it into action.

Or don’t and stay where you are, barely trickling along with “progress”. You’ll run a little bit faster just from practicing, but nothing major. Summer will come and go, your abs won’t show up. You’ll get pissed off, maybe blaming us on the site for not giving you “real” advice or pissed at yourself for not following through. And you’ll either decide to start over and try again next year or you’ll just quit.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]BHappy wrote:

Your number 1 goal is ?[/quote]

Please do not listen to this guy. He is a fucking idiot. Body fat does exist, and you do not need to worry about water retention. Having water in your body is very important.

To your post, dude don’t worry about it. You aren’t fat at all, you just don’t have much muscle. You’re eating right and getting better, focus on that and your body will improve over time. You just have to be patient[/quote]

I’ll second this!