Why Gamers Are a Great Fit at the Gym

I was in the process of writing the exact same study.

Thanks for the post, explains a few things.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LOL. I’ve just been busy. I don’t have much time off lately. I will get Uncharted the moment I have a weekend to dedicate to it. Batman is first.[/quote]

Marking my calander big man, there WILL be a test. Still not sure if it will be an essay format type thing or multiple choice.

Batman I expect will be worth the wait, looking foward to it. I liked how the first one let you plan shit out from up above or wherever before you wiped em’ out. I call it strategy, my boy calls it being a pussy lol.

awesome, NERDS ASSEMBLE!

TO THE SQUAT RACK!!!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LOL. I’ve just been busy. I don’t have much time off lately. I will get Uncharted the moment I have a weekend to dedicate to it. Batman is first.[/quote]

Haha, good to hear. They really are epic as shit and definitely worth the time.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
Has PX bothered to explain his serious error in judgment in not playing these games?

They are the shit, my boy pre ordered the new one the basterdo. He moved out to go to colledge and took the fucking PS3 with him the little shit!

Santa Claus better fucking leave one under the tree for me this year.

[/quote]

Man… I can’t wait until Uncharted 3 comes out. I REALLY hope I have some extra cash to throw around, because it’s going to be awesome. Between that and Skyrim… my social life is going to plummet around the beginning of November - lol.

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
awesome, NERDS ASSEMBLE!

TO THE SQUAT RACK!!![/quote]

x2

I’ve been laying waste to Uncharted 2 because 3 is coming out shortly. I’ve had the game for forever but I always wind up waiting till another installment is close to coming out before beating it. I have video game ADD…I wind up playing one for a while then putting it down and playing another etc.

I also can’t wait till Battlefield 3 comes out. That games graphics are awesome. I still need to buy Arkham Asylum before buying Arkam City tho. Beware. My inner nerd is strong. lol

Am I the only person who thought the Uncharted games were pretty damn tough?

Granted, I like going through most games on the harder difficulties so I can think to myself how awesome I am, but these ones really tested me. EDIT: On the harder difficulties I mean. The mid-level was challenging enough for casual players, but easy enough if you just want an easy playthrough like I’m going to do in the next couple weeks.

----- SPOILERS -----

Especially in Uncharted 2 with those fucking goddamn Yeti people. I remember one part where you had to fight several of them at once. I remember having a hell of a time with that!

----- END SPOILERS -----

Anyone else play EVE Online?

“Welcome to EVE. Here’s a Rubik’s cube. Now go fuck yourself.”

[quote]SSC wrote:

Granted, I like going through most games on the harder difficulties so I can think to myself how awesome I am, but these ones really tested me. EDIT: On the harder difficulties I mean. The mid-level was challenging enough for casual players, but easy enough if you just want an easy playthrough like I’m going to do in the next couple weeks.

----- SPOILERS -----

Especially in Uncharted 2 with those fucking goddamn Yeti people. I remember one part where you had to fight several of them at once. I remember having a hell of a time with that!

----- END SPOILERS -----[/quote]

i played on normal and kept dying receiving like two shots from those crossbows. Fuck imagine that on hard.

[quote]SSC wrote:

----- SPOILERS -----

i played on normal and kept dying receiving like two shots from those crossbows. Fuck imagine that on hard.
[/quote]

----- SPOILERS -----

I think SSC is talking about the Yeti’s in the mountaineering mission, and yeah those fuckers were tough as hell to take down, and it didn’t seem to matter if you tried to headshot them or not.

The strategy for the crossbow dudes that worked for me was, kill the 1st one with grenades, then pick up their shitty crossbow, since it is the only weapon that works worth a damn on them (I remember unloading multiple clips on the fuckers and they just wouldn’t die).

----- END SPOILERS -----

[quote]solidkhalid wrote:

awesome, NERDS ASSEMBLE!

TO THE SQUAT RACK!!![/quote]

x2[/quote]

I’ve always been amazed by the fact that most of the top guys on here and most of the top guys in my gym are also total nerds on the inside and loves gaming (just like me), now the connection makes total sense.

Great find.

Fuck. I’m keeping the Superman and Batman 12" statues in my game room no matter what…and I swear I only kept that batcycle because it came with the dvd.

I swear.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

----- SPOILERS -----

[/quote]

----- SPOILERS -----

I think SSC is talking about the Yeti’s in the mountaineering mission, and yeah those fuckers were tough as hell to take down, and it didn’t seem to matter if you tried to headshot them or not.

The strategy for the crossbow dudes that worked for me was, kill the 1st one with grenades, then pick up their shitty crossbow, since it is the only weapon that works worth a damn on them (I remember unloading multiple clips on the fuckers and they just wouldn’t die).

----- END SPOILERS -----
[/quote]

That is a pretty solid plan, indeed. And I think I did something similar on the easier difficulties. Like I said, though… on the harder modes it was just pure and utter chaos. FML.

They forgot to mention that playing games fire up and prime the CNS and improves spatial visual skills. Both are important in weightlifting and explosive sports in terms of reaction time and visualization skills.

But again, you can improve upon those traits with or without video games. Just like discipline and focus…sure you have to have those traits to be a good gamer, but there are many other endeavors that require them as well. There are a lot of people doing a lot of things out there in the world that might benefit them, and have a carry over effect when it comes to lifting weights. The reason why video gaming seems appealing, and became the fascinating subject of this article is due to the unlikeness and irony of the dramatic “nerd turning buff” scenario. We all like to think that whatever it is that we are already doing, or had already done, or are used to doing (especially it’s something that MIGHT not be good for us) is good for us, so we find ways to justify those endeavors. Sometimes those justifications are right, but often times they are just excuses.

This article reminds me of people who believe in astrological signs. People see a few traits that a particular sign offers, and because they want to believe that the sign for them is correct, they are more likely to “pull out” the traits in themselves to match the ones they see in a magazine while disregarding and suppressing all other traits that are irrelevant or mismatched. This pick and choose mindset is easy to fall into, consider the fact that human beings are made up of thousands of little traits and quarks. (the way they fail to mention the fact that video gamers who spend hours and hours sitting in awkward and immobile positions tend to have bad posture and mobility…both are killers in the iron game).

So I got into the Beta and entered my squat and dead workouts for this week. Not gonna lie, I’m a sucker for those achievements. Not too sure about the social aspect yet but there are a lot of different camps all on that site (runners, Xfitters, weightlifters, powerlifters, 531-ers, etc). Also you can’t (yet) accommodate for bands/chains or specialty bars.

Very cool though.

[quote]grettiron wrote:
So I got into the Beta and entered my squat and dead workouts for this week. Not gonna lie, I’m a sucker for those achievements. Not too sure about the social aspect yet but there are a lot of different camps all on that site (runners, Xfitters, weightlifters, powerlifters, 531-ers, etc). Also you can’t (yet) accommodate for bands/chains or specialty bars.

Very cool though.[/quote]

How long did it take you to get in after submitting an invite request? I would love to give this a go as well.

[quote]SSC wrote:

----- SPOILERS -----

I don’t find the Uncharted that tough, I must admit. First one was easy. 8 hours of gaming and I was done, on normal and hard mode.

Second one, I agree, was slightly challenging – the Yeti mission almost caused me to get a new TV screen, especially playing it on Hard mode – but the rest was just as sweet as chocolate cake.

Deus Ex and DeadSpace on the other hand… pain in the bleeping ass…

[quote]bob_sander87 wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:

Very cool though.[/quote]

How long did it take you to get in after submitting an invite request? I would love to give this a go as well.
[/quote]

PM me your email and I’ll send you one.

Little bummed that sumo deadlifts don’t count toward your deadlift achievements. That’s gotta be a bug. Remember, it’s still in beta.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

----- SPOILERS -----

I don’t find the Uncharted that tough, I must admit. First one was easy. 8 hours of gaming and I was done, on normal and hard mode.

Second one, I agree, was slightly challenging – the Yeti mission almost caused me to get a new TV screen, especially playing it on Hard mode – but the rest was just as sweet as chocolate cake.

Deus Ex and DeadSpace on the other hand… pain in the bleeping ass…[/quote]

Really? Interesting. I never did have a tough time with Dead Space at all. I’m always kind of an ammunition whore through games so it didn’t dominate me as much as some other people I know, lol. Can’t say I ever ventured to the harder difficulties of Deus Ex(es) but I was also a LOT younger then, haha.

But then there’s always the Ninja Gaiden games, which deserve a thread unto themselves for difficulty.

I’ve always thought that people who like RPG games would be more into a pursuit like bodybuilding.

For me, the most exciting thing about RPG games is starting with little and slowly but surely developing a character with specific strengths and aiming to improve weaknesses.

Bodybuilding, the ultimate RPG.