Why Drive > 80mph?

Why do we need vehicles that go any faster than 80? If someone plans on robbing a convenience store, or drag racing by an elementary school then, sure, you need a car like that. But:

(1) Gas mileage goes way down at high speeds. The same idiots who bitch about the price proceed to drive 90 mph on the freeway.

(2) If most traffic travels at about the same speed, there’s less chance of an accident. When one person drives 65, another 75, and another 90, it makes the freeway like an obstacle course.

(3) Driving like a maniac endangers others. If someone wants thrills, let 'em take up base jumping or something like that. Then, they’re the only ones to die.

Thoughts anyone?

2006 toyota tacoma 20 mpg at 90 mph

If I have to drive 500 miles, I get there in 7.69 hours driving 65 mph. I can get there in 6.25 hours driving 80 mph. That’s 1.44 hours, or 86.4 minutes saved. With that time, I can get in a workout or have some good sex and a quick shower before greeting you at the destination.

DB

because I might suddenly get the urge to get shit faced and slam my car into a tree doing 120 MPH?

I think this is the first time ever that I fully endorse an idea coming from Headhunter, but yes, there’s really not much reason to build and drive fast cars.

Driving fast is dangerous, is bad for the environment and costly. Also, continuous traffic at lower speeds is indeed less prone to jam.

And - no, I don’t want to take away anyone’s sport, but that belongs on race tracks, not the streets.

So ‘yeay’ to Headhunter … words I’d never expect to write. :wink:

Makkun

To get there faster.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
If I have to drive 500 miles, I get there in 7.69 hours driving 65 mph. I can get there in 6.25 hours driving 80 mph. That’s 1.44 hours, or 86.4 minutes saved. With that time, I can get in a workout or have some good sex and a quick shower before greeting you at the destination.

DB[/quote]

Best answer so far, and there really is no better answer than “to save time.”

Good point. I don’t know why we need such fast cars either. I also don’t know why we need the right to keep and bear arms. I mean, if you’ve got one it’s because you’re planning to use it against someone else, right? We may as well just keep piling more and more legislation on top of the gun laws already in place until it is both financially and legally entirely too restrictive to purchase those dangerous implements.

I mean, we’re already doing that with guns, anyway - but the same principle could be applied to fast cars. Restrict the allowable efficiency, weight, or drag coefficient until everyone’s driving 55 in their government-approved electric golf carts.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
To get there faster.[/quote]

Yes, most definitely.

I think the question was rethorical.

1. Danger is fun.

2. Fast women like fast machines.

That should help clear things up.

It is actually safer, by a huge margin, to drive on the German Autobahn, where there is NO speed limit and people routinely drive 140+ MPH, than to drive on the US Interstate Highways where the speed limit is limited to 65 MPH.

Driving fast is fun.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Why do we need vehicles that go any faster than 80? If someone plans on robbing a convenience store, or drag racing by an elementary school then, sure, you need a car like that. But:

(1) Gas mileage goes way down at high speeds. The same idiots who bitch about the price proceed to drive 90 mph on the freeway.

(2) If most traffic travels at about the same speed, there’s less chance of an accident. When one person drives 65, another 75, and another 90, it makes the freeway like an obstacle course.

(3) Driving like a maniac endangers others. If someone wants thrills, let 'em take up base jumping or something like that. Then, they’re the only ones to die.

Thoughts anyone?[/quote]

Why drive 80mph? Why do HIIT cardio or 20 minutes instead of slow cardio for 60? come on man…

If everybody drives fast, everobody is faster where he wants to be…

makes sense, at least for a german guy like me :wink:

To get places quicker. Especially convenient for those of us who are usually late, even when speeding.

But what, the average sedan can go 125+? Top speed is OK, but I want quickness, off the line lightning. But maybe that’s just because I’m overweight and I need something to live vicariously though because the only thing I do fast is stack my plate.

maybe we should put the smackdown on walmart, wholefoods, home depot, staples, bj’s and every other store that’s effectively gutted a nearby town requiring people to own vehicles so they can now drive 30+ miles to buy their shit.

Thank you for typing this so I didn’t have to.

[quote]Cunnivore wrote:
Good point. I don’t know why we need such fast cars either. I also don’t know why we need the right to keep and bear arms. I mean, if you’ve got one it’s because you’re planning to use it against someone else, right? We may as well just keep piling more and more legislation on top of the gun laws already in place until it is both financially and legally entirely too restrictive to purchase those dangerous implements.

I mean, we’re already doing that with guns, anyway - but the same principle could be applied to fast cars. Restrict the allowable efficiency, weight, or drag coefficient until everyone’s driving 55 in their government-approved electric golf carts.[/quote]

[quote]dswithers wrote:
It is actually safer, by a huge margin, to drive on the German Autobahn, where there is NO speed limit and people routinely drive 140+ MPH, than to drive on the US Interstate Highways where the speed limit is limited to 65 MPH.[/quote]

Technically, there is… you’ll get a ticket on there if you’re driving faster than the rating on your tires, but I digress…

I’ve heard that stitistic before, about safer on the autobahn… do you know why?

Cause it’s fun?

Because my car is a beast, and because I hate driving slow. And because I love getting on your ass on the freeway, wailing on my horn, then proceeding to speed by you and flip you off.