Why Drinking Milk Helps You Bulk

Many people debate about the effectiveness of milk and whether we should drink it. Well all those debates are now put to rest with this forum.

1. Milk contains proteins and fats that our body needs.

2. Milk has helped people grow for years, why else do you think we drink milk when we are young.

3. Many studies have shown that drinking milk is helpful for building muscle.

Part of an ongoing study into the impact of drinking milk after heavy weightlifting has found that milk helps exercisers burn more fat.

The study by researchers at McMaster University and published today in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, was conducted by the Department of Kinesiologyâ??s Exercise Metabolism Research Group, lead by Stuart Phillips.

The researchers took three groups of young men 18 to 30 years of age â?? 56 in total â?? and put them through a rigorous, five-day-per-week weightlifting program over a 12-week period. Following their workouts, study participants drank either two cups of skim milk, a soy beverage with equivalent amounts of protein and energy, or a carbohydrate beverage with an equivalent amount of energy, which was roughly the same as drinking 600 to 700 milliliters of a typical sports drink.

Upon the studyâ??s conclusion, researchers found that the milk drinking group had lost nearly twice as much fat â?? two pounds â?? while the carbohydrate beverage group lost one pound of fat. Those drinking soy lost no fat. At the same time, the gain in muscle was much greater among the milk drinkers than either the soy or carbohydrate beverage study participants.

â??The loss of fat mass, while expected, was much larger than we thought it would be,â?? says Phillips, associate professor of kinesiology at McMaster. â??I think the practical implications of these results are obvious: if you want to gain muscle and lose fat as a result of working out, drink milk.â??

Complete you certification with test king and get highest score in exam using testking 642-357 study guide and testking 646-656 exam dumps.

As reported in the first phase of the study, the milk drinking group came out on top in terms of muscle gain with an estimated 40 per cent or 2.5 pounds more muscle mass than the soy beverage drinkers. In addition, this group gained 63 per cent or 3.3 pounds, more muscle mass than the carbohydrate beverage drinkers.

â??I think the evidence is beginning to mount,â?? says Phillips. â??Milk may be best known for its calcium content in supporting bone health, but our research, and that of others, continually supports milkâ??s ability to aid in muscle growth and also promote body fat loss. To my mind â?? with milk being a source of nine essential nutrients â?? itâ??s a no brainer: milk is the ideal post-workout drink for recreational exercisers and athletes alike.â??

Was this study funded by the cow down the street?

Studies can be biased and even geared to see a certain affect…but the benefits of milk for those initially putting that base of mass on shouldn’t even need to be debated in bodybuilding circles.

I don’t drink milk much now, but I was drinking a gallon of that stuff a day in college. That may be why I hit 200lbs so quickly.

[quote]Mohammad wrote:
Why Drinking Milk Helps You Bulk
[/quote]
Because Rippetoe says so.

1. Dense in calories.
  2. High in protein compared to all other drinks.
  3. Makes protein shakes taste awesome.
  4. Good blend of protein, fats and carbs.
  5. Readily available. Who doesn’t sell milk?

Unless your lactose intolerant, why wouldn’t you drink milk during a bulk?

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

1. Dense in calories.
  2. High in protein compared to all other drinks.
  3. Makes protein shakes taste awesome.
  4. Good blend of protein, fats and carbs.
  5. Readily available. Who doesn’t sell milk?

Unless your lactose intolerant, why wouldn’t you drink milk during a bulk?[/quote]

One thing I’ve wondered about is the role of GOMAD PWO. I drink milk PWO for the carbs+protein, but I buy fat free because I’m under the impression that fat intake post workout interferes with protein synthesis (in the sense that the two distinct metabolic functions compete with one another because of fat’s slow digestion rate).

As such, is whole milk appropriate PWO, or it is generally more helpful for the rest of the day to get calories in?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Studies can be biased and even geared to see a certain affect…but the benefits of milk for those initially putting that base of mass on shouldn’t even need to be debated in bodybuilding circles.

I don’t drink milk much now, but I was drinking a gallon of that stuff a day in college. That may be why I hit 200lbs so quickly.[/quote]

I agree.

I would definatly be drinking milk on a constant basis if it didn’t react with my skin. I eat cheese but it’s the only thing dairy I ingest.

Why was this thread made?

Next thread: Bench pressing increases pec development

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
Why was this thread made?

Next thread: Bench pressing increases pec development[/quote]

Just like how there are 50 threads all about creatine or N.O. supplements. I feel we should just sticky a “Creatine & N.O.” thread and mods can delete any other new created threads with those key words in the title.

Read this morning an article about milk drinking and bone health.

Milk and calcium good for the bones? Donâ??t think so

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

One thing I’ve wondered about is the role of GOMAD PWO. I drink milk PWO for the carbs+protein, but I buy fat free because I’m under the impression that fat intake post workout interferes with protein synthesis (in the sense that the two distinct metabolic functions compete with one another because of fat’s slow digestion rate).

As such, is whole milk appropriate PWO, or it is generally more helpful for the rest of the day to get calories in?[/quote]

I don’t know much about how the whole PWO thing works. I’ve read the same as you, simple carbs+protein PWO but I’m skeptical if the added fat actually interferes with that whole process. When I was having trouble gaining weight, I’d always use whole milk just for the extra calories. I could be wrong though.

Personally, I drink milk twice a day but I found an alternative for post workout. 1 16oz bottle of OJ with 2 scoops of vanilla whey. I love it.

[quote]Menthol wrote:
Read this morning an article about milk drinking and bone health.

Milk and calcium good for the bones? Donâ??t think so

[/quote]
Lifting more weight will help your bones get stronger. Milk will help you get stronger to allow you to lift more weight, therefore milk will help improve bone density.

Lol regular whole milk from the cows given the hormones and shit food antibiotics etc will make you grow like crazy apparently… i remember reading an article on milk and why it is is good for increasing muscle mass… part of it is because of the hormones “accelerate” puberty faster in kids and that the fats and the milk itself increases natural igf1 hormone levels more than anything (which apparently raises the risk for diseases and decreases lifespan) All this is from an article so who knows if its true or not.

yes but some milks actually contain hormones that cause calcium to leave your bones therefore having a negative effect. Another reason why grass fed would be the best if possible

More garbage.

Bovine GH should not affect humans. In fact, there was even an article on THIS site where TC said that BGH is cleaved in the stomach or intestines and effectively excreted.

Cut the hippie bullshit, please.

One reason why milk might be so “anabolic” is the ratio of casein:whey protein, which is what the blend in MD and MDMG sold here is: 80:20 (casein:whey).

Casein supposedly provides aminos over a longer period of time, while whey is absorbed faster and thus has a greater effect of “spiking” blood-amino levels.

Of course, maybe Bill Roberts could confirm/reject what I just said; he’s a lot smarter than I am.

The miniscule amount of fat does NOT “slow down” anything PWO; it’s negligible. In fact, more people have an issue with skim milk than higher fat milk (plus, skim is more processed). I use some coconut milk in my PWO shake. It’s fine.

Besides, why would you want SKIM milk when Vitamin D is FAT SOLUBLE ?

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
More garbage.

Bovine GH should not affect humans. In fact, there was even an article on THIS site where TC said that BGH is cleaved in the stomach or intestines and effectively excreted.

Cut the hippie bullshit, please.

One reason why milk might be so “anabolic” is the ratio of casein:whey protein, which is what the blend in MD and MDMG sold here is: 80:20 (casein:whey).

Casein supposedly provides aminos over a longer period of time, while whey is absorbed faster and thus has a greater effect of “spiking” blood-amino levels.

Of course, maybe Bill Roberts could confirm/reject what I just said; he’s a lot smarter than I am.

The miniscule amount of fat does NOT “slow down” anything PWO; it’s negligible. In fact, more people have an issue with skim milk than higher fat milk (plus, skim is more processed). I use some coconut milk in my PWO shake. It’s fine.

Besides, why would you want SKIM milk when Vitamin D is FAT SOLUBLE ?[/quote

LMAOOO and i’m guessing TC is the genius of the world to your mind? no disrespect to him … and there’s a reason i said idk its just an article… Apparently there was a study done where parents fed their kids 4 glasses of milk a day for over like 4 to 5 years … the other group of kids were not given any milk and given grass-fed (or grass-finished) foods. at the end of the study the kids given the milk had brain damage from an excitotoxin in milk? doctors couldn’t figure out what it was anyway the kids who drank the milk looked more mature, muscular and shorter and also had smaller bones and total body width by a lot… but they were although not bigger still stronger and more muscular than the other group…

w/e
bottom line humans weren’t made to drink pasteurized milk especially from cows given hormones and shit diets and all the antibiotics and who even knows about raw milk

Also the vitamin D you’re talking about is a synthetic version that doesn’t even get absorbed even if there was fat and has been proven to promote brain tumors…

Also drinking pasteurized milk prevents almost all certain minerals and some vitamins to be absorbed by the body because the milk forms a muchoid (cant spell for shit) lining in the stomach and if you’re drinking milk 4 times a day that muchis is going to be in your stomach for almost the whole day

[quote]money24 wrote:
yes but some milks actually contain hormones that cause calcium to leave your bones therefore having a negative effect. Another reason why grass fed would be the best if possible[/quote]

i think its because milk is very acidic and causes calcium to be released from your bones so it can be digested or some shit like that same with sodas which i think over time will give you osteoporosis if you drink a lot

Milk is very mildly acidic.

Anyway, congrats BigDick1000 on making three posts in a row that are total and utter wastes of space.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
Milk is very mildly acidic.

Anyway, congrats BigDick1000 on making three posts in a row that are total and utter wastes of space.[/quote]

Not really true but thanks…

Ooops! make that 4