Why Don't You Push Harder?

Why aren’t people making progress?

1. Ignorance - not knowing how to get big, I’ve goten questions regarding getting bigger/stronger/losing fat from over 50 people since 11/2010, a lot of folks are uninformed or misinformed. I tend to assume people have ways to get exposed to this stuff (internet, strength training coaches, ect.), but most folks are clueless. I love talking to people who are uninformed, sometimes it’s ok dealing with misinformed if they are flexible in their views. Some people major in the minors and minor in the majors.

Once folks are properly informed of the main tennents (I am assuming members of T-Nation are informed) of gaining muslce/getting stronger/losing fat, the problem is:

1. Lack of dedication. As a wise sage once said “Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, nobody wanna lift no heavy a-- weights!”, or eat a lot of protein EVERY DAY, be smart about carb intake EVERY DAY. The daily commitment is what the informed who aren’t making progress lack.

*This post does not address: the delusional, the stupid or the troll

Have big people asked you WTFHYBE lately?
A few. I get more sub-220lbers asking me about what protein powder/preworkoutsups/creatine/steroids/PEDs I take to gain muscle. My usual response is how much food I eat, before I mention creatine monohydrate, protein and prework stuff.

I’m a bit worried once I finish my current 12-week fatloss phase, I might start getting the fatloss (“how do I get huge and ripped at the same time”) questions…lolz

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
I think this was all covered in the epic thread “Are people here not trying very hard”.

What we all learned-

eating a whole chocolate cake and freakishly huge wrists were the keys to become swole. [/quote]

Yes, but as educational as that thread was, there is something that makes “maraudermeat” get up and hit the gym on a consistent basis and something that forces him to keep going long after he passed up “average”…something most people don’t seem to have.

I am just asking those people what that is and why they don’t push harder.

But apparently, judging by some of the violent responses, this is a topic hated by a few.[/quote]

you know as well as i do that either you have it or you don’t. there’s no middle ground. I HAVE to train because it keeps me from killing random people on the street and i can’t imagine a life without it. It’s something that’s in my blood and always will be. I’ve had quit a few career ending injuries but at no time did i even give it one moment’s thought of actually quitting because that’s not even a choice.

i just found a way to train around them and eventually recover from them. i’ve even had to find a private gym to train in now because the general public is all about fitness now. my type of training is very rare and that’s okay with me.

people that are medocre are that way because of their mindset, simple as that. unfortunately when you point it out it makes people see themselves for what they are and they get defensive.

having said that, i’ve learned over the years that most people are acceptional at something though. i try not to judge people based solely on their physical size or strength. being fit is really all that can be expected out of the average person. beyond that it becomes something more.

most people that visit this site and most gyms like the idea of getting big and strong but it isn’t something they are willing to sacrifice other things for and that’s okay. most have other things that are more important in their lives. that’s just not me.

that’s my take on the topic.

My goals changed a lot. Being a brick house would be awesome, but it’s just not doable with what I’m heading towards in my life right now. It sucked when I realized it, but in a few years I should be able to be back on the big track.

I think this was all covered in the epic thread “Are people here not trying very hard”.

What we all learned-

eating a whole chocolate cake and freakishly huge wrists were the keys to become swole. [/quote]

Yes, but as educational as that thread was, there is something that makes “maraudermeat” get up and hit the gym on a consistent basis and something that forces him to keep going long after he passed up “average”…something most people don’t seem to have.

I am just asking those people what that is and why they don’t push harder.

But apparently, judging by some of the violent responses, this is a topic hated by a few.[/quote]

you know as well as i do that either you have it or you don’t. there’s no middle ground. I HAVE to train because it keeps me from killing random people on the street and i can’t imagine a life without it. It’s something that’s in my blood and always will be. I’ve had quit a few career ending injuries but at no time did i even give it one moment’s thought of actually quitting because that’s not even a choice. i just found a way to train around them and eventually recover from them. i’ve even had to find a private gym to train in now because the general public is all about fitness now. my type of training is very rare and that’s okay with me.

people that are medocre are that way because of their mindset, simple as that. unfortunately when you point it out it makes people see themselves for what they are and they get defensive.

having said that, i’ve learned over the years that most people are acceptional at something though. i try not to judge people based solely on their physical size or strength. being fit is really all that can be expected out of the average person. beyond that it becomes something more.

most people that visit this site and most gyms like the idea of getting big and strong but it isn’t something they are willing to sacrifice other things for and that’s okay. most have other things that are more important in their lives. that’s just not me.

that’s my take on the topic.
[/quote]

Very insightful and inteligent. I’d even call it wise.

That’s all well and good, meat…but if that is the case, why is it during topics like the one we just had on the effectiveness of the bench press as far as building a HUGE chest, do we get so many people responding if so few actually will put forth the effort to ever get that far?

Here’s my hope…that the guys who do “have it”, like the ones I’ve mentioned along with others like Vinnie, or some of the new guys in the T-Cell, that their progress won’t be held back by people who talk way more than they act.

I think this is not for everybody, and not everybody has what it takes.

[quote]actionboy wrote:

What we all learned-

ahaha best thread ever.

but on a more serious note, is this thread looking to highlight those who have made good progress or collect everyones excuses into one handy thread?[/quote]

Do you remember that thread about body sizes and how most here would label themselves as “works out” or less? I am just asking why so few ever seem to go beyond that.

In doing so, this has caused more than one poster to only focus on me.[/quote]

i absolutely remember that thread, its a sad state of affairs and it made me wonder why so many people on this board post so much advice. its just my opinion that instead of asking people why they suck so bad, id rather hear about what spurs you bigger guys on. i read enough excuses on this board, I want to hear what it is that makes people like you and MM hit the gym so hard. what inspires you. I feel like that would help me more than hearing 150lbers tell you why they do everything in life half assed.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
I think this is not for everybody, and not everybody has what it takes.[/quote]

But look at the responses you get if you mention that. At least two of the posters here seemed truly pissed off that I dared to ask for a picture.

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

What we all learned-

ahaha best thread ever.

but on a more serious note, is this thread looking to highlight those who have made good progress or collect everyones excuses into one handy thread?[/quote]

Do you remember that thread about body sizes and how most here would label themselves as “works out” or less? I am just asking why so few ever seem to go beyond that.

i absolutely remember that thread, its a sad state of affairs and it made me wonder why so many people on this board post so much advice. its just my opinion that instead of asking people why they suck so bad, id rather hear about what spurs you bigger guys on. i read enough excuses on this board, I want to hear what it is that makes people like you and MM hit the gym so hard. what inspires you. I feel like that would help me more than hearing 150lbers tell you why they do everything in life half assed.
[/quote]

I can understand that, but I posed the question that way for a reason…and the initial responses I got were exactly what I expected.

The moment guys like that get confronted with what you just wrote, the response is to deflect and get pissed at the guy who mentioned it.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
I think this is not for everybody, and not everybody has what it takes.[/quote]

But look at the responses you get if you mention that. At least two of the posters here seemed truly pissed off that I dared to ask for a picture.[/quote]

Well sometimes when you point out the truth it’s not always pleasant, but it may the best way to make them change. I don’t know how they look, but getting deeper in the subject, I think that it’s a struggle between forces.

I’m really sure everyone who gets in this wants or wanted to get really big, at least for some time until they failed or I don’t know… Ronnie Coleman’s got a phrase on that. But it takes hard work 24/7, organization, focus, and be really oriented about your goals. I think that here’s a pattern, in order to be succesfull at anything you need some or all of those things. I guess that not everybody can stand out, some people push harder and set the standards, others are sheep and follow them, whether they succeed or not.

That’s all well and good, meat…but if that is the case, why is it during topics like the one we just had on the effectiveness of the bench press as far as building a HUGE chest, do we get so many people responding if so few actually will put forth the effort to ever get that far?

Here’s my hope…that the guys who do “have it”, like the ones I’ve mentioned along with others like Vinnie, or some of the new guys in the T-Cell, that their progress won’t be held back by people who talk way more than they act.
[/quote]

there’s a big difference between knowing what you have to do and actually doing it. plus as you’ve said many times, you need to find what works for you and do that. unfortunately most will never go to all the trouble to actually find what works for them.

everyone has a voice on the internet. it’s just a matter of being smart enough to know who to listen to. as long as this is a site where anyone can post, you will have those issues. I post on a site that doesn’t allow people to post any advice until they’ve proven themselves worthy of doing so. they have to provide proof of their accomplishments, phsique and/ or strength to give advice. their “credentials” are placed under their avatars such as “strenght proven” or physique proven" stuff like that.

[/quote]

there’s a big difference between knowing what you have to do and actually doing it. plus as you’ve said many times, you need to find what works for you and do that. unfortunately most will never go to all the trouble to actually find what works for them.

everyone has a voice on the internet. it’s just a matter of being smart enough to know who to listen to. as long as this is a site where anyone can post, you will have those issues. I post on a site that doesn’t allow people to post any advice until they’ve proven themselves worthy of doing so. they have to provide proof of their accomplishments, phsique and/ or strength to give advice. their “credentials” are placed under their avatars such as “strenght proven” or physique proven" stuff like that. [/quote]

Well shit, maybe we need the same here.

I wonder if T-Nation is listening.

Well for me, the difference between receiving almost no comments, and my body becoming an almost daily topic of conversation in my place of work, was simply a matter of consistently meeting a protein quota and going into the gym 5-7 days a week…

You have to get your mind right before your body is capable of doing anything, and I think many people stagnate or fall short of their goals because they have a failing attitude.

[quote]actionboy wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

What we all learned-

ahaha best thread ever.

[/quote]

I can understand that, but I posed the question that way for a reason…and the initial responses I got were exactly what I expected.

The moment guys like that get confronted with what you just wrote, the response is to deflect and get pissed at the guy who mentioned it.[/quote]

haha people are just rage-o-holics. they are addicted to rage-ohol.

i’m surprised that when a general topic is brought up, how many posters take it personally and instantly enter ‘excuse mode’ or start to throw a tantrum.

you’d think there’d be more positive responses about ‘wow i found tnation days/weeks/months ago and i’m using the knowledge on there to steadily get bigger/stronger/leaner/whatever’

[/quote]

everyone has a voice on the internet. it’s just a matter of being smart enough to know who to listen to. as long as this is a site where anyone can post, you will have those issues. I post on a site that doesn’t allow people to post any advice until they’ve proven themselves worthy of doing so. they have to provide proof of their accomplishments, phsique and/ or strength to give advice. their “credentials” are placed under their avatars such as “strenght proven” or physique proven" stuff like that. [/quote]

I wonder if T-Nation is listening.[/quote]

I’m just hoping to get “funny proven” or some other distinction, because if you fuckers take away GAL from me and I have to watch bad TV and work while at work I’m gonna be pissed.

[/quote]

but the flip side of that is, people like me, who arent huge but have learned some important things along the way wouldnt be allowed to share those things. i feel like ive put some good advice out on this board and probably helped some people along the way.

also, i think most lifters on here are a) REALLY young, like 15 years old b)REALLY new to lifting.

you should have to age verify with a credit card or something…

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
i’m surprised that when a general topic is brought up, how many posters take it personally and instantly enter ‘excuse mode’ or start to throw a tantrum.

you’d think there’d be more positive responses about ‘wow i found tnation days/weeks/months ago and i’m using the knowledge on there to steadily get bigger/stronger/leaner/whatever’

[/quote]

Like I’ve said before, if someone like Bonez had typed the same exact words, none of that shit would have happened. They MAKE this shit about me no matter what I type.

It is strange as all hell but has happened since 2000.

I think it is a defense mechanism…because on a bodybuilding forum, if you are getting pissed because someone is questioning your progress made, something is wrong with you.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[/quote]

I’m just hoping to get “funny proven” or some other distinction, because if you fuckers take away GAL from me and I have to watch bad TV and work while at work I’m gonna be pissed.[/quote]

LOL.

No one is getting rid of “bodybuilding entertainment television”.