T Nation

Why Don't The Skinny-Fats Have to Divide

When I eat tuna, I eat the whole can. I don't understand how anyone could eat less than the whole can. Apparently Bumble Bee tuna doesn't believe anyone could eat the whole can and that's why they suggest 2 oz. for their serving size.

Now, I gotta MULTIPLY the caloric and macro-nutrient information to figure out how much of each I got. I know good and goddam well the skinny fats don't need this information as bad or as quickly as me.

WHY CAN'T FOOD MANUFACTURERS PUT THE TOTAL OF WHAT'S IN THE CAN AND LET THE SKINNY FATS DIVIDE !?!?

Get the smaller cans or the packets- it lists the caloric value of the entire package. If it’s not enough calories, get 2. Of course, then you’d have to add.

generally they go off what the FDA says is a “portion”

it doesn’t really have much to do with the actual food companies.

its all standardized to some extent.

[quote]sen say wrote:
When I eat tuna, I eat the whole can. I don’t understand how anyone could eat less than the whole can. Apparently Bumble Bee tuna doesn’t believe anyone could eat the whole can and that’s why they suggest 2 oz. for their serving size.

Now, I gotta MULTIPLY the caloric and macro-nutrient information to figure out how much of each I got. I know good and goddam well the skinny fats don’t need this information as bad or as quickly as me.

WHY CAN’T FOOD MANUFACTURERS PUT THE TOTAL OF WHAT’S IN THE CAN AND LET THE SKINNY FATS DIVIDE !?!?[/quote]

Math stuff listed from “simplest” to “hardest”

1. Add
  2. Subtract
  3. Multiply
  4. Divide

Seems most people have a hard enough time just adding and subtracting…we don’t want anyone to get hurt by over-exerting themselves.

(but really, I think the poster above is right about what the government deems a “portion size.”)

For my future reference, how many calories/grams protein in an entire can of tuna?

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4206/2

This is internet sarcasm, right? I mean, if you really can’t handle 13*2.5 without whipping out a calculator, maybe this isn’t the website for you.

Seriously though, one of the reasons food manufacturers don’t list “entire package” nutritional data is so people don’t shit in their pants when they realize the ravioli they’re feeding the kids is over 1000 calories and a week’s sodium in a single “serving”.

Or why the average (read:weak) guy is a fatass when those Healthy Grain ™ chips are only 120 calories per serving! Neglecting to read down to the 16 servings per bag, Tubby puts away an entire bag of the “healthy” snacks in an afternoon of Warcraft and extreme chewing. Hello, 1920 empty calories! (No, you don’t need a calculator for that either. 1206=720, 12010=1200, 720+1200=1920)

It’s the “100 calorie pack” deception: lower the serving size until it’s healthy.

-Sab

[quote]sen say wrote:
When I eat tuna, I eat the whole can. I don’t understand how anyone could eat less than the whole can. Apparently Bumble Bee tuna doesn’t believe anyone could eat the whole can and that’s why they suggest 2 oz. for their serving size.

Now, I gotta MULTIPLY the caloric and macro-nutrient information to figure out how much of each I got. I know good and goddam well the skinny fats don’t need this information as bad or as quickly as me.

WHY CAN’T FOOD MANUFACTURERS PUT THE TOTAL OF WHAT’S IN THE CAN AND LET THE SKINNY FATS DIVIDE !?!?[/quote]

Well, I totally understand their logic, since we all know that too much protein makes you fat and gives you a hear attack!

Hence, the serving size for a huge bagel is the whole bagel (coz it’s healthy).

Because multiplying the nutritional information for one serving by the total number of servings is intense…

[quote]Sabastian525 wrote:

It’s the “100 calorie pack” deception: lower the serving size until it’s healthy.

-Sab[/quote]

Now that’s just ludicrous. There’s only 100 calories!

Get a digital food scale, weigh the drained tuna then get a free account here
http://www.fitday.com

BTW a 6oz can of tuna is about 3.75 to 4oz after drained and is about 28 grams of protein and 130 cals

Fat = 9 kcals per gram
Protein and carbs = 4 kcal each per gram

If you can multiply these numbers with grams, you will know how much kcals (often just called calories) you will need to expend.

Who knows if that helps… somehow I don’t think you were looking for a real answer, rather just pointing out that food manufactures, are misleading with food labels.

[quote]Sabastian525 wrote:
This is internet sarcasm, right? I mean, if you really can’t handle 13*2.5 without whipping out a calculator, maybe this isn’t the website for you.

-Sab[/quote]

He could be serious. Look underneath his name, he’s in Japan. If he’s American, nutrition labels in Japanese could make it harder for him to multiply.

I’m with you, Sen.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I’m with you, Sen.[/quote]

Domo arrigoto.

[quote]sen say wrote:

LOL!

Good thing that in Austria, food labels list the macronutrient information based on 100g of the product. Much easier to compare as well.

[quote]sen say wrote:

You’ve missed the point. It’s not for the skinny-fatties - it’s for the fatties. The food manufacturers are appealing to the needs of the majority, and the skinny fats are in the minority in case you haven’t realized.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
For my future reference, how many calories/grams protein in an entire can of tuna?[/quote]

My chicken of the sea tuna in water has 22g protein per can.

Tuna cans ain’t nearly as bad as heavy whipping cream. That shit has 32 servings per container, I usually get 5 servings per container. Try dividing by 32 and multiplying by 5 in your head first thing in the morning. It doesn’t work.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
For my future reference, how many calories/grams protein in an entire can of tuna?

My chicken of the sea tuna in water has 22g protein per can.

Tuna cans ain’t nearly as bad as heavy whipping cream. That shit has 32 servings per container, I usually get 5 servings per container. Try dividing by 32 and multiplying by 5 in your head first thing in the morning. It doesn’t work. [/quote]

Dude, it is just fat, multiply the fat grams x 9 to get calories.