Why Don't Laws Make Sense?

I have. A few times, actually. It’s not a big deal. I still boast at dinner parties about being surrounded by over 10 people with another guy and managing to get away lol.

1 Like

At the very least, you are talking about some form of reasonable force(I’m not talking about this situation in a legal context) as a form of retribution. What you described in the first post was an attempted execution. That’s not cool, dude. Not cool.

It is a big deal for people suffering serious injury and mental anguish… or death from it.

Are you serious in saying it’s not a big deal?

I am saying his joke wasn’t a big deal.

What is the problem here? Of course these attacks are wrong. So is trying to be a vigilante unless we’re talking about minor scuffles.

You wanna know why I got attacked so many times in my youth? Because I got my friends and we looked for the perpetrators and did the same shit to them one or 2 at a time at separate locations. It’s called “sweeping an area”. You see this shit in gang movies. This is a reality in shitty places where the laws are strict but the authorities can’t be bothered to enforce them. The police couldn’t be bothered to investigate, or charge anyone since this happened so often. You want a culture of real vigilante justice seekers, you be prepared to retaliate with even more force, finish what you’ve started, and handle the potential retaliation.

1 Like

So the argument is that individuals should be legally allowed to apply the death penalty to their attackers? Even once their attackers have fled? Oh I see. That makes much more sense.

1 Like

There’s no argument to be had there, the law is very clear that self-defence, or “applying the death penalty” as you put it, is a valid defence of a murder charge. Ive yet to encounter anyone who thinks you should just wait to be murdered with no struggle and if you do, then jail time for you.

Even once their attackers have fled? Oh I see. That makes much more sense.

Fled, no. But if it is in a sequence of events within the same incident then I have no issue. These are split second decisions under highly stressed and emotional scenarios - someone did just try to kill you. Perhaps you could spring for their uber fair to make the getaway a little less onerous.

I used “wronged” there as the most generic term that I could think of at that moment.

You can put in whatever crime or injustice you want in there. It doesn’t change the point I wanted to convey.

1 Like

So, we agree and I still don’t understand the argument of the law making no sense.

Victim protects themselves in self defense, up to and including the killing of the attacker in a physical assault. = LEGAL

The assailants flee the scene, and the victim goes after attacker(s) and kills them. = NOT LEGAL

1 Like

Let’s say someone tries to shoot me in a driveby. They’re a terrible shot and miss me. HOWEVER, I’m on rollerblades and we’re on an extreme downhill incline. I’m packing heat in my fannypack, so now I draw and fire at them. I’m not ACTIVELY rollerblading after them: I’m standing still. It just so happens that gravity has carried me after them.

Self defense?

3 Likes

I’d say you’re good to deploy your weapon from your fanny pack and return fire. Without going into too much detail, there is a three-fold test for justifying lethal force. You’re considered “threatened” if your assailant has the ability, opportunity and intent to place you in jeopardy of great death or bodily harm.

Ability? They have a gun, so check.
Opportunity? You’re within range, so check.
Jeopardy/intent? They already shot at you, so check.

Hopefully you’re wearing tactical rollerblades to go with that fanny pack.

1 Like

Fair point. But let’s say the rollerblade wheels had turned and now the rollerbalde were on the other foot, so to say, and suddenly I’m skating UPhill to chase after my assailant and return fire. Is this assault?

Or what if my assailant is obese, and in his attempt to flee the scene he makes minimal progress in his egress. Is the lesson to learn that track star criminals stand a better chance of victimization vs the non-athletically inclined?

I think you’re going to have a tougher case to make, generally speaking. Was the person you were chasing after fleeing, or simply retreating to take up a better position to kill you from? Do you even know at the time?

I assume everyone is always wanting to kill all rollerbladers in all circumstances.

At least, that’s what the Sega Genesis taught me

Important and pertinent lessons can be learned from DJ Boy as well. Regarding an obese assailant, the level one boss demonstrates that a person who is out-and-about rollerskating can’t count on an overweight female to simply leave you alone. At this point you’ve got to defend yourself against a surprising agile and very large woman skilled at delivering kicks to your head.

1 Like

I’m actually pretty fresh out of my CC class, and yeah, what she did is clearly illegal. Morally? Hell no, she is not in the wrong. But laws are wild. My all time least favorite example being:

If a woman is being raped, and you run up and brain the dude then you are legally a murderer. However if hes raping her with his hands around her throat, or with a knife in his hand, then you are not. (In the state of NC)

So legally, you’re looking at 3rd degree. Morally, not a single person is every going to disagree with your actions.

I think her retaliation is justified. ESPECIALLY in a country that allows “crimes of passion”. In specific circumstances a woman is allowed to kill a man, if he has emotionally damaged her in a way that causes her to essentially black out, but you’re not allowed to put a bullet through attackers in close sequence of the attack taking place?

You are comparing a person in a state where she is not aware of her actions to a deliberate act of inflicting retribution upon her attacker. It’s not the same because of the lack of intent in the former.

2 Likes

I didnt get my whole thought out, that was my fault:

Basically, if I find myself in confrontation (which, to be fair, I’m really bad at, my fight or flight is one extreme or the other) the choice of fighting back or fleeing is a split second decision, and fighting is one that is hard to come back from for me (I’ve got a good grip on staying extremely calm knowing this, but in the event a situation escalates that highly, I know I’ll basically make a completely subconscious choice). I’ll be thinking about it almost exclusively for hours. Who’s to say she wasnt in a similar mindset? Maybe she mentally couldnt let it go and thought there was going to be retaliation? Maybe she was completely mentally checked out because… idk… she was being jumped? I’m sure she was in a lot of physical pain, emotionally all over the place, and felt in danger for her life. I agree people should attempt to remain calm in all situations, but if you truly feel your life is in danger, at least to a civilian, you dont just hop out of that mindset. You’re locked in. You simply want to survive more than the other guy.

1 Like

And I could be wrong. She could be a gang banger wanting to immediately retaliate, with no sympathy for human life. But I’m making an argument with the information provided.

1 Like

I agree there are definitely valid points here. The thing is, we don’t know what was actually brought up in court.

1 Like

It’s laws like this that separate us from the shithole countries. Then again, it’s the internet and everyone has a particular set of skills.

1 Like