Why Don't Bench Records Ever Get Broken?

Every single full meet raw bench press WR is about 20+ years old. Even in bench only meets, most weight classes haven’t seen a record in many years.

Deadlifts also aren’t broken very often. Ed Coan is a big reason for that but even in other weight classes the WRs are pretty well dispersed over time.

Squat WRs on the other hand are almost all new. Literally 1-2 years old only for almost every single one.

Thoughts?

Squat suit technology kept improving, so equipped records kept getting broken, and meanwhile the best guys were competing in gear vs raw. Now, there are some top guys competing in raw, so they’re breaking all the raw squat records that no one was going after before.

Deadlift suits don’t seem to improve as rapidly, and some folks even pull better without them.

As for bench, my guess is that we had a few freaks show up (Spoto, Mendleson, Kenelly, etc) that set the bar really effin high. Some of them were even able to go raw and equipped.

Didn’t Spoto set a new raw record of 722 recently?

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
Didn’t Spoto set a new raw record of 722 recently?[/quote]

Not in a full meet, which I guess I even missed when I replied since I brought him and Mendy/Kenelly up. I can’t even think of a full meet raw bencher with a super impressive bench. Strong dudes no doubt, but usually they’re winning with squats and deads. We’re seeing a lot of instances of guys squatting in the 6s, pulling in the 7s, and benching in the 3s.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.*

• In honor of Yogi Berra.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.*

• In honor of Yogi Berra.[/quote]

LOL! Love Yogi’s “wisdom.”

The answer seems pretty simple. You can do ‘deadlift only’ and ‘bench only’ in a meet, but ‘squat only’ isn’t an option. The distinction in the record books is silly though, and in my opinion not necessary. There’s no reason to do a full meet if your only real intention is to break a bench press or deadlift record. If ‘full meet’ actually mattered to anyone who was setting a bench press record, they could squat 45, deadlift 45, and bench press a million. Then it would be considered full meet in the record books. And if deadlift and bench only weren’t available, I can guarantee you this would happen regularly.

The other thing to consider is that performing all 3 lifts in 1 day is difficult, and that the squat is the first lift. So squat records would naturally be broken in full meets, because you’re fresh for squats. If someone wants to perform their absolute best at either the bench press or deadlift, they would skip the other 2 lifts.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

Not in a full meet, which I guess I even missed when I replied since I brought him and Mendy/Kenelly up. I can’t even think of a full meet raw bencher with a super impressive bench. Strong dudes no doubt, but usually they’re winning with squats and deads. We’re seeing a lot of instances of guys squatting in the 6s, pulling in the 7s, and benching in the 3s.[/quote]

Kirill Sarychev has most recently hit a 719 bench, which I believe was in a full meet, and has very impressive numbers on the squat and deadlift as well. I think we’ll be seeing very big things from him in the next 2-3 years for both bench and full power.