Why Does P+F/P+C Work?

[quote]jb413 wrote:
LilDaDDyDreW wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
LilDaDDyDreW wrote:
You have just turned my world upside down.

I hope you’re joking.

Yes and no… Yes being that when I eat carbs before bed over a period of time my bodyfat increases so him saying it is okay is blasphemy to me. No being that I really dont care what he says because I know what works for me. This topic does seem to be an issue and I want to read where any reputable people (like CT) say it’s okay to eat carbs prior to zzZz.

Check Thibs Q&A thread, he actually says it is ok! Something along the lines of he got the idea from Poliquin…the rationale is that carbs make a lot of people sleepy, so taking them before bed is more logical. There’s more to it than that mind, but im just going off memory.

JB

[/quote]

Beat me to it!

I’ve always thought that the P+C/P+F thing worked because people naturally grouped their carbs around their workouts. So while the technique worked, it wasn’t because of the reason they thought it worked.

I still do some splitting. Most of my carbs around my workout and lower during the rest of the day. Not anal about it, but its still fairly split. Its not THAT different then the current practices around here.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Yeah, but how lean were you when you were ‘getting leaner’ eating your pizza?

You are really lean, man. Leaner than most guys on here I’d say.

You could probably metabolize a tub of lard PWO and get away with it :)[/quote]

I admit, I probably have an easier time getting leaner than most. During times when im busy with other things in life and I can’t focus on a steady diet plan, I’ll eat whatever I want. I’ve gotten leaner (not intentionally) eating pizza and the like during times when my workouts have been intense. By lean, I mean just above 10%. I was trying to point out that its possible to get leaner while combining fats and carbs in meals. Like I said above however, I wouldn’t recommend a pizza cutting diet.

I’m thinking about going all out and getting down to ~5% type BF looking competition ready but for the hell of it.

[quote]LilDaDDyDreW wrote:
Yes and no… Yes being that when I eat carbs before bed over a period of time my bodyfat increases so him saying it is okay is blasphemy to me. No being that I really dont care what he says because I know what works for me. This topic does seem to be an issue and I want to read where any reputable people (like CT) say it’s okay to eat carbs prior to zzZz.[/quote]

my question is this: where the hell did people get the idea that carbs ingested at 8:00 PM acted any differently in the body than carbs ingested at 8:00 AM?

why doesn’t anyone question these things? is everyone here so lazy that they just accept what they read without giving it any actual critical thought?

if anyone still thinks that carbs before bed makes you fat, do me a favor: for two weeks eat the following every day: 200g of protein, as little fat as possible (less than 30g) and 100g of carbs (simple or complex) ALL carbs eaten within one hour of going to bed.

after two weeks, report how much fat you gain.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
my question is this: where the hell did people get the idea that carbs ingested at 8:00 PM acted any differently in the body than carbs ingested at 8:00 AM?[/quote]

It has to do with the thought that insulin sensitivity is generally poorer in the evenings.

It’s same reason why many people consume the majority of their carbohydrates in the morning and PWO.

I also thought that it had to do with blood glucose levels being elevated for 4-5 hrs after eating carbs. Hence the whole carb cutoff of DC training.

indeed. Dr Lonnie Lowery’s temporal nutrition system which is detailed on this site went into detail about it.

I am not saying that eating carbs before bed is bad, just saying they are handled better in the morning.

I still don’t think pancakes and icecream just before bed are a good idea. I just can’t justify it with the principle of “eat for what you’ve just done, and what you are about to do”. If you just got out of the gym at 10.30pm and are about to goto bed then fine. carb away. But if ive sat on my arse watching tv for the last 4 hours and am about to goto sleep i see little point. Some fruit, yoghurt and milk won’t you. But 100g? two servings of Surge?

your experimental design is flawed, i doubt anyone can gain much fat in two weeks. Over the course of a year though?

[quote]Beatnik wrote:
your experimental design is flawed, i doubt anyone can gain much fat in two weeks. Over the course of a year though?
[/quote]

my experiment isn’t flawed at all. in fact, i can tell you exactly what the outcome will be. you won’t gain ANY fat, in fact, you will get noticeably leaner by virtue of eating only ~1,200 calories per day. go ahead, try it.

Exactly. It is flawed. fat gain on 1,200 cals? with controlled macronutes? These factors cancel out any of the timing factors your trying to measure.

If your trying to quantify how much the timing matters you better be sure your measuring timing. Not calorie deficits, change in macro’s, food choices, etc.

Tell me, how are you isolating the variable of timing?

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:

my experiment isn’t flawed at all. in fact, i can tell you exactly what the outcome will be. you won’t gain ANY fat, in fact, you will get noticeably leaner by virtue of eating only ~1,200 calories per day. go ahead, try it.[/quote]

Guys, quit giving this poor kid straw men. He has enough of them lying around.

[quote]Beatnik wrote:
Exactly. It is flawed. fat gain on 1,200 cals? with controlled macronutes? These factors cancel out any of the timing factors your trying to measure.

If your trying to quantify how much the timing matters you better be sure your measuring timing. Not calorie deficits, change in macro’s, food choices, etc.

Tell me, how are you isolating the variable of timing?
[/quote]

my point was that carbs eaten at night will not magically end up as fat around your waist if you are in a calorie deficit (which, if one is dieting, they should be in).

thus any discussion of whether or not eating carbs at night is “fattening” is pointless, because if you’re in a calorie deficit, you wont gain ANY fat. period.

fair enough. my bad.