T Nation

Why Does My Heart Rate Jump?

A few months ago I went to the hospital to have my heart checked out. I had to stay in the hospital overnight. While going up a few steps or walking slightly faster than my usual pace, my heart rate jumps. My heart beats so fast that I can see the vein in my neck pulsing. In any case, I thought it best to have everything checked out since my chest was feeling tight on that particular day.

While at the hospital they put a pulsometer on me. Every time I got out of bed just to use the bathroom they could tell because my pulse rate would double for a minute or so, then go back to normal. In fact, every time I was in a lying down position and would sit up, or get out of bed, my heart rate would double. (Which is how it’s been for a few years now).

The same thing happens when I exercise. I start out with my vein pulsing, and out of breath with the slightest effort. Then after a few minutes my body reacts normally. I often avoid confrontation because of this. Here’s what I mean…

If I get mad for whatever reason my pulse rate jumps, I’m out of breath, and I feel as if I’m on an adrenaline rush. I even start to shake. Then my body feels washed out a few minutes after that, and I feel dead to the world.

I have low T levels that I’m taking a compounded testosterone for. I’ve also been working with my doctor to make sure all my hormones are balanced. But I was wondering…does anyone know why this happens? Why does my heart rate double from the slightest effort, but then a minute or two later goes back to normal?

How old are you?

Any health history? Meaning, strokes, heart attacks, high blood pressure, diabetes etc

Are you American?

Not being a dick but everything is not related to T levels.

Also in case you are wondering I am a PA and have worked medical field for 20 years, 14 years of that ER.

[quote]cipher7836 wrote:
A few months ago I went to the hospital to have my heart checked out. I had to stay in the hospital overnight. While going up a few steps or walking slightly faster than my usual pace, my heart rate jumps. My heart beats so fast that I can see the vein in my neck pulsing. In any case, I thought it best to have everything checked out since my chest was feeling tight on that particular day.

While at the hospital they put a pulsometer on me. Every time I got out of bed just to use the bathroom they could tell because my pulse rate would double for a minute or so, then go back to normal. In fact, every time I was in a lying down position and would sit up, or get out of bed, my heart rate would double. (Which is how it’s been for a few years now).

The same thing happens when I exercise. I start out with my vein pulsing, and out of breath with the slightest effort. Then after a few minutes my body reacts normally. I often avoid confrontation because of this. Here’s what I mean…

If I get mad for whatever reason my pulse rate jumps, I’m out of breath, and I feel as if I’m on an adrenaline rush. I even start to shake. Then my body feels washed out a few minutes after that, and I feel dead to the world.

I have low T levels that I’m taking a compounded testosterone for. I’ve also been working with my doctor to make sure all my hormones are balanced. But I was wondering…does anyone know why this happens? Why does my heart rate double from the slightest effort, but then a minute or two later goes back to normal?[/quote]

What does your doctor say? Keep in mind you need to be evaluated to get a diagnosis. I can say a few things but doesn’t take the place of being evaluated.
Keep in mind I am not a doctor so what i say is just arm-chair speculation.
First of all, that your heart returns to normal is a good thing. Still though you should have a nuclear stress test to rule out heart problems or clogged arteries. You could have high blood pressure.

are you able to do any form of endurance cardio for 30 minutes at a time? Could be you are just de-conditioned and you need to do more cardio to improve your cardio/vascular conditioning.

Are you having angina ( chest pain, shortness of breath,) even when you are at rest?
I am just going to say, have a through evaluation of your heart, have them come up with a diagnosis. Heart disease if it is in fact that is a serious matter!
keep us informed.

I have a history of heart palpitation, but it doesn’t work the same way yours does. Mine is more unpredictable. I’m glad yours goes back to normal quickly. My did that at first, but later became more prolonged. Now can be controlled with 1. medication 2. staying hydrated 3. eating well 4. careful physical stress.

do you have any history of other heart problems? I have had arythmia episodes for 10 yrs now, the palpitation kicking in 4 yrs ago.

Thanks for the responses. I had a heart murmur as a baby. I have high blood pressure. It’s weird because when I was a teenager I had low blood pressure. I’m 36 and the high blood pressure started a few years ago when I was diagnosed with low T levels. I remember having a checkup not too long ago where the doctor said I still had a slight murmur. But at the ER I was checked out for my heart, and they said everything was fine. I asked about my pulse rate jumping and they said they didn’t know. All they knew was that my heart was fine. So I don’t know why my pulse rate jumps, and I get out of breath. Even when I was rollerblading 20 miles a day and was super fit, I still had the fast pulse and breathlessness for a bit. Could I have an enlarged heart? Would that show up on an EKG? They did a chest x-ray but I was cleared so I guess we can rule that out.

^ Okay for one what BP med are you on?

Next a chest X-ray will show major heart enlargement but you would need an Echo to check for left ventricular enlargement, plus they could see if you have a murmur.