T Nation

Why Does it Take Me so Long to Recover?

I’m a senior in highschool. I weight 168lbs and am 5’10. Bench 200, PC 205. I workout three times a week but every time I workout, by my next workout I’m not fully recovered from the last one. =( What should I do to be able to recover quicker?

how much sleep are you getting? have a nap throughout the day if you have time, more sleep means more recovery.

What is your routine like? How much sleep are you getting? Are you doing any physical activity between workouts? And what are you eating? Don’t be vague either and say ohh I eat a lot sleep a ton and push a shitload of weight.

I Make sure I get 8 hours a sleep every since night. My routine varies. at the moment mondays and wednesdays I do atleast 7 60yd sprints followed by a simple workout of bench, squat, and powerclean 3 sets 0f 5 or 6 reps.

An AB medicine ball workout and some isometric core holds. On Fridays I usually do sort of a blake griffen workout which consist of carrying a 125lb rock up a hill twice. Then throwing it back down the hill various ways (kinda like you would throw a medicine ball) I then take a smaller rock roughly 50 lbs and sprint up the hill front words and back words, throwing that down the hill as well like a medicine ball.

And then do some rope climbs and sometimes car pushes. All this is after I do 7 or 8 sprints.

Any way you can move the Wednesday workout to Friday and the Friday workout to Wednesday. That way you get ample time to recover and not hit the same muscles after on day of rest but four yet you still workout that Wednesday?

I think I could probably do that. Thats not a bad Idea, thanks. Do you think thats an okay workout though? as a whole?

Stretching is IME a good way to accelerate your recovery.

By “not fully recovered” you mean you are still sore?? or you have no energy/disposition??

What do you mean by “fully recovered?” Do this mean you don’t expect to feel any soreness or tightness by the beginning of your next session? If that is in fact your logic, you can expect to make no significant progress in this pursuit.

In general, I’m NEVER “fully recovered” when I walk in the gym for my next training session. After a leg day, it takes about 4 full days for my lower body to feel “fully recovered.” Would I not train during those 4 days for fear of not being “fully recovered?” Hell no.

You can overcome this issue by formatting your regiment to give your different body parts as much of a “break” as possible. For example, if you hit your arms on wednesday and they are fried, planning on training your back on thursday would be a mistake, since your biceps are a main player in each session. Be smart and train a totally separate body group, like legs. That way, the fact that your arms are sore and not “fully recovered” is a moot point, since they are not being utilized during the lower body workout.

Be smart, suck it up and be consistent. Listen to your body. DOMS is normal. Sharp pains and aching joints are both red flags.

Here’s an example of a split that maximizes recovery time
M: Chest
T: Legs
W: Arms
R: Off
F: Back
S: Shoulders
S: Off

Can you leave more time between workouts? It sounds like you are busting your ass in the gym, so you might need more than 1 day to recover.

make sure youre eating enough too get a lot of carbs and protein pre and post workout.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. =)

Depending on school stress, girl problems, depression, and even hyperthyroidism. When i found out the reason for my recovery problems was because of hyperthyroidism.

If its just the soreness then I wouldnt worry about it, but if you’re noticing that you’re not able to perform optimally; like as in you’re losing strength between work outs or just having a lack of energy, then something needs to change. Try eatting more, sleep is not enough without giving your body the tools and fuel to heal itself, its like sending your car to a shop for the day but the shop only having half the new parts for the job.

I second BeastKing; however, mine was hypothyroidism.

X2 on the stretching, I always feel much better after a good stretch. I don’t know how much it helps me recover, but I know it helps me relax which probably helps.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
X2 on the stretching, I always feel much better after a good stretch. I don’t know how much it helps me recover, but I know it helps me relax which probably helps.[/quote]

Careful about the stretching, if it’s just light stretching and it makes you feel better then sure, but intense stretching might create more micro trauma in the muscle.

Foam rolling might be a better alternative for recovery.

Check this out:

just one mention of protein? how much protein are you getting bro? i remember when i was new to lifting and didn’t consume enough protein. when i started to do so my work capacity increased hugely, because i was able to recover much quicker. it makes a huge difference. you do a lot of damage to your body training and your body needs amino acids to repair the damage, if you ain’t getting that, you ain’t recovering. i’m not going to check this thread again, so a quick guide-line to protein consumption per day = 1 gram per 1 pound of body weight. go read up on it further.

How many weeks in a row do you lift? Do you ever plan an active recovery week?

[quote]tyrant fazz wrote:
just one mention of protein? how much protein are you getting bro? i remember when i was new to lifting and didn’t consume enough protein. when i started to do so my work capacity increased hugely, because i was able to recover much quicker. it makes a huge difference. you do a lot of damage to your body training and your body needs amino acids to repair the damage, if you ain’t getting that, you ain’t recovering. i’m not going to check this thread again, so a quick guide-line to protein consumption per day = 1 gram per 1 pound of body weight. go read up on it further.[/quote]

Win.

Really surprised no one chimed in on this before. If i dont get ample protein along the lines of 200-250g per day [200lb BW] then the lift get really heavy and slow. That and sleep are the real weapons for growth and performance.

-chris