Why Does It Happen?

I just tore my bicep again. last year on my left arm I tore it from the bone. Friday I tore my right bi more than 50% on the bottom of it. I go see the Dr on wed to see if it needs surgery.

Is it age? is it from years of overtraining? Not drinking enough water? all I know I dont want to be out of it for 16 weeks again? I do look at it like this, I would rather have things break and then fixed, than to die too young from being out of shape.

[quote]uwacop wrote:
I just tore my bicep again. last year on my left arm I tore it from the bone. Friday I tore my right bi more than 50% on the bottom of it. I go see the Dr on wed to see if it needs surgery.

Is it age? is it from years of overtraining? Not drinking enough water? all I know I dont want to be out of it for 16 weeks again? I do look at it like this, I would rather have things break and then fixed, than to die too young from being out of shape.
[/quote]

When I ruptured my L biceps tendon, I read somewhere that something like 90% of these typs of injuries occur in guys 40-50 years old that lift weights.

I don’t recall the exact reason, I would suspect our ligaments and tendons begin to get less flexible and more brittle making us more vulnerable to these types of injuries. Best to you buddy! There are several of us here that feel your pain.

[quote]uwacop wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your injury but I don’t see what biceps have to do with fitness. And I certainly wouldn’t stop training completely due to a torn bicep. Leg work!

I also feel that my cardio training helps with injury recovery due to increased blood flow, if nothing else. Even with a torn rotator cuff I was still able to use my recumbent exercise bike and do leg presses and dumbbell work on the unaffected side.

As for the cause of the injury, exactly what move were you doing when it tore?

Fifteen minute warm-ups have kept me injury free for most of my life.

Thank you all. The first tear was on my left arm and it pulled from the bone and the tendon rolled up into my arm. The one on friday tore and felt like where the tendon meets the muscle belly, and the AT that looked at my arm thought it was over a 50% tear.

Sorry to hear about your injury. You will get back, this is just one of those steps backwards before taking a bunch forward. I am recovering from a ruptured/torn biceps femoris (hamstring).

It has been slow going, however, I am making strides with each workout. I am also doing a 10 minute general warm-up before lifting, and finishing up with stretching. I hate cardio and stretching, but will put up with it if it keeps me from tearing the tendon again. You also might want to incorporate some ART in your recovery program.

Good luck, and take your time coming back!