T Nation

Why Does Everything Suck?

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
all i know is that it would suck to be tying my shoes while randman’s avatar walked by.[/quote]

That’s funny sh*t dude :()

Yeah, there are some things you can complain about.

…Such as getting it doggy style from a big purple dinosaur.

My guess is that in expressing negativity, it is not necessary to commit to something. You just rant and probably find a lot of like-minded people in the process. On the other hand, by giving a positive opinion, there is a strong likelihood of being nailed down or confronted with prejudices on a subsequent occasion. That seems to be deterrent to many people.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
lothario1132 wrote:
On a more philosophical note, I’d like to point out that the truly powerful don’t complain. Because when you are truly powerful, nothing bothers you.

Wrong! While I believe the less one complains about given situations the greater their character I also know pleny of people who don’t complain a lick (mostly MN lutherans)not because they have nothing to complain about bust just because they keep it all botteld inside. This cannot be healthy either. Especially when it comes to relationships. Keep pushing it down–one day it’s going to explode. [/quote]

I respectfully disagree. I’m not talking about being so timid as to not express yourself. I’m talking about how a mountain doesn’t mind that a cloud rains on it. A little rain ain’t gonna hurt ya. There is a world of difference.

P.S. You don’t honk your car horn all the time, do you? :slight_smile:

it’s not a big purple dinosaur, it’s a big purple walrus.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
My guess is that in expressing negativity, it is not necessary to commit to something. You just rant and probably find a lot of like-minded people in the process. On the other hand, by giving a positive opinion, there is a strong likelihood of being nailed down or confronted with prejudices on a subsequent occasion. That seems to be deterrent to many people. [/quote]

Agreed. The stupid-is-cool-whereas-brains-are-not phenomenon also seems to fit this pattern.

Maybe bitching and stupidity are THE mainstream thing and a positive attitude, intelligence, and character really are the exception. Makes you wonder how people really value ideals.

[quote]lothario1132 wrote:
P.S. You don’t honk your car horn all the time, do you? :)[/quote]

Agreed!

[quote]DAN C wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
My guess is that in expressing negativity, it is not necessary to commit to something. You just rant and probably find a lot of like-minded people in the process. On the other hand, by giving a positive opinion, there is a strong likelihood of being nailed down or confronted with prejudices on a subsequent occasion. That seems to be deterrent to many people.

Agreed. The stupid-is-cool-whereas-brains-are-not phenomenon also seems to fit this pattern.

Maybe bitching and stupidity are THE mainstream thing and a positive attitude, intelligence, and character really are the exception. Makes you wonder how people really value ideals.
[/quote]

Stupidity and negativity - what a combination. After all, if a person is too stupid to grasp the complexity of a certain issue, he can easily fool himself into thinking that there is a plain and simple solution or explanation, which makes ranting and unfounded criticism even more pleasant…