T Nation

Why Does Everything Suck?

My time to rant.

I’ve read a lot of threads lately that seem to have common theme. What’s the theme you say? “Nothing’s good enough”; that’s the theme. The glass is half empty. etc. etc.

I don’t care if the subject is a movie, a show, a book, a chic pic, or a blowjob you had. For a lot of you, and you know who you are, it wasn’t good enough.

It could have been Lord of the Rings and you’ll still hear “that movie sucked monkey balls”, it could be a show and you’ll hear “that show just didn’t live up to my excruciatingly high expectations, I’m disappointed, wah, wah, wah”, or a blowjob, “I masterbate better than that!”

I don’t get it. What is the motivating factor for these attitudes? Do you simply view the world through a negative, critical lense? And who the hell made you the Siskel and Roeper of the world? Are are you just suffering from too much estrogen? You know who you are. The ones that view any chick pic on this site and say “eeeewww, that chick has muscles” or “she’s too manly for me”.

So I ask you? Is there anything good enough in your life where you’re not going to constantly criticize it, bitch about it, or complain like a little whiny ass about it?

How about this strategy. The next time a thread comes up about any topic, try thinking about what you LIKED about it
instead of how it didn’t meet your ridiculous, unimportant, bratty kid, high expectations.

I think the world is made up of the 5% of people who actually do something in life and then the other 95% who do very little but complain about what those 5% are doing. I know the world is made up of critics but I would like to think that most of us are in the 5% group but after reading a number of posts recently now I’m not so sure.

I thought your post sucked. I mean, honestly - couldn’t you have spent just a bit more time on it and made it more entertaining for me to read?

Seriously, I’m just as guilty of anyone on here of being negative. I don’t know why. I’m not a naturally lazy person - I’m not a glass-half-empty guy.

I think it just takes a lot less effort to bitch and moan on here.

But one thing remains constant regardless of what you think - The Pats are Satan’s Team.

Everything sucks these days because the spirit of mediocrity has taken over. The majority of folks you cross paths with these days have no pride in what they do or who they are. Acepting responsibilty and doing whats right seems to be a thing of the past. And its not just on big issues. Its everywhere. Service in restaraunts is a thing of teh aspt. Work getting done on time is a lost concept. Whats the solution?

Simple.

Don’t take it anymore. If you’re the boss, you set the rules and in no uncetain terms its done right or they’re done. If you’re paying for it, then it better be right or you raise Hell. Only by letting society know that mediocrity will not be accepted will we start to make any change, no matter how small.

On that note I’m going to go back to typing like I’m suposed to be doing instead of surfing T-Nation.

Life sucks.

Well, it has for me lately.

Otherwise, I usually lean toward the positive side on most things. :wink:

I’m sorry but I can’t agree with the “everything sucks” answer. That’s just way to easy. Don’t get me wrong…You’ll see in some of my previous posts that I’m not a big fan of people in general and more specifically, our society and western ideals…but I think the point of this initial thread is why are people negative on here? It’s fine to be negative, but what the hell makes a person think that other people want to hear their negative comments? Keep that shit to yourself…

I myself try to belive in Karma. I also try to take a Zen approach to life and meditate often…so I treat others with respect, patience, and courtesy. I know not everyone believes in that but I think it works for me.

Another reason for people posting negative comments might be the fact that this is Testostorone Nation, for big manly men, and part of being a big manly man is being an asshole…who knows…

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I think it just takes a lot less effort to bitch and moan on here.
[/quote]

Insightful comment. Bitching and moaning I suppose is easy. I honestly don’t notice that you do that too much in your posts. You like to argue, like me, but that’s different than being negative about everything.

[quote]
But one thing remains constant regardless of what you think - The Pats are Satan’s Team.[/quote]

Now the Pats are the antithesis of suckness and you know it! Just give me one more superbowl this year and they can then displace the Cowboys as the greatest of all time!!! And you will then genuflect in respect, biatch!

I thought the ass worship thread was quite inspiring.

Negativity? On the internet? You don’t say?

Oh well: Adam Sandler is still a retard and he licks donkey balls.

Have a nice day!

Yeah! THE FUCKIN’ YAMS AREN’T DOING SHIT FOR ME EITHER! LIFE SUCKS!

[quote]randman wrote:
I don’t get it. What is the motivating factor for these attitudes? Do you simply view the world through a negative, critical lense? And who the hell made you the Siskel and Roeper of the world? Are are you just suffering from too much estrogen? You know who you are. The ones that view any chick pic on this site and say “eeeewww, that chick has muscles” or “she’s too manly for me”.
[/quote]

Probably some kind of power trip. As long as one is criticizing, he looks like ‘above the rest’ or ‘knows something others do not’ or whatever ‘looks like X knows his stuff’ type of mechanism. Just a false “I’m better than you/him/her/that” confidence mechanisms for 95% of people.

It’s all between the ears. As a guy joked about Moorea Wolfe’s “tack ons”, we’re all sure he wouldn’t hit it with her just because of that, eh? Yep. Suuuuuure.

Do critics walk their talk? I doubt it.

As a star said: “Nobody ever built a monument of a critic.”

Final words from a salesman I know: “You either have a parade, join one, or piss on other people’s.”

Reading your post, I was thinking to myself, “yeah…YEAH… this guy hit the nail on the head !!.. too much negativiy going on… on this forum (sometimes) and life in general”…

He’s right… things are better than what they seem. I am built good for an old fucker, I have a decent paying job, I have a good wife… I have more than one interest (BBQ competition, hiking, camping and being a strong sumbitch) so why bitch about it ???

*BUT… Big Fucking BUT here…!!!

Why be happy with what your comfortable with ??? Why be happy with normal ??? … yeah, it’s perfectly fine with saying something “sucks” !! It’s perfectly fine saying you’re not gonna be satisfied with “just o.k.” Nothing is wrong with having high expectations !!.. Lord of the rings sucked, all three episodes sucked… ok… ya move one… what doesn’t suck ??? 4,5, & 6 star wars movies !!!.. a blow job sucked… thank God you still can jack off better than that !!.. AND you can do that whenever !!..

The only thing you have control over is YOURSELF !!.. If someting sucks in your life… it means you’re unhappy with it… what in the hell can you do to improve it ??? what will help give you a better quality of life and make you happy ??? absolutely nothing or no one can make you happy !!! get it ??? I hope so !! You and only you can make a difference in your life… trust no one completely… fix your present and future and try not to fix the past, it’s done with… you can only learn from the past, which can destroy you or make you a better person… your choice…

Don’t fixate on shit that “Sucks” !!. You may acknowlege it but move on… you have to be better than that !!

I’m not picking on the guy that posted this originally. He got me thinking, thinking a lot actually. But, I am writing this just for the people who read this forum who are in a negative mindset. The other positive thinking people on here, this don’t apply to you…
and when I say positive, i don’t mean the people who Bullshit themselves… You know who you are… if not, well someone will tell you soon enough, just accept it…

…and come on…do we really come to places like these to be happy and accept mediocrity? And if somebody did come and post something they were just satisfied with would it matter so much?

Life isn’t always puppy dogs and lolly pops…sometimes its big stinking piles of elephant turds. It’s okay to bitch as long as its in moderation–'cause hey, anything else isn’t healthy.

LOL RJ… When I was reading randman’s rant, I immediately said to myself “what this thread is going to need is someone posting how much this thread sucks”. You’re too fast for me, man!

On a more philosophical note, I’d like to point out that the truly powerful don’t complain. Because when you are truly powerful, nothing bothers you. Some guy slacking off at work? So? How’s that gonna kill you? Got bad service at a restaurant? So? Big deal. You weren’t treated like a king. Did you have to do the dishes? No. Then don’t complain to the manager, because it’s a waste of your valuable time.

The classic example of this is honking your horn at someone who has cut you off in traffic. So honking your horn is going to make that person a better and smarter driver then? No. That is you bitching at them because you are whining. Every T-man knows that your horn is on your car so that you can honk to your friends and any hot girls you see on the road. It is a communication device that says “Hey! Nice tan lines!” or “All right! That’s a really nice pair of tits you have there!”

Don’t get me wrong, there is a difference between #1: whining and #2: fixing a problem. Go ahead and fix a problem if you feel like you have to, but leave the whining out of it.

My dos centavos

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
You’ll see in some of my previous posts that I’m not a big fan of people in general and more specifically, our society and western ideals…

I myself try to belive in Karma. I also try to take a Zen approach to life and meditate often…so I treat others with respect, patience, and courtesy. I know not everyone believes in that but I think it works for me.
[/quote]

Yeah, I’m in that stage of life myself. Trying to find ways of dealing with it all. Just starting meditation. Very hard to hold that state for very long, especially when I’m stressed. My mind just wanders to its preoccupations too easily.

Lifes too short to get bad blowjobs.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
…and come on…do we really come to places like these to be happy and accept mediocrity? And if somebody did come and post something they were just satisfied with would it matter so much?

Life isn’t always puppy dogs and lolly pops…sometimes its big stinking piles of elephant turds. It’s okay to bitch as long as its in moderation–'cause hey, anything else isn’t healthy.

[/quote]

I think you lost the point of my rant. Nowhere did I say one should accept mediocrity. Quite the contrary, I’ll be the first to tell you I’m always striving to better myself in multiple areas of my life.

On the other hand, I don’t feel the need to bitch about everything; or constantly remind everyone how nothing is EVER good enough for me because I have these unattainable standards and everyone in life is here to please me. When you start viewing everything in life as mediocre or “not good enough” is when you have problems.

One farmer invites his neighbor to sit out on his porch with him and drink a beer. The farmer’s dog is out on the porch with them laying down and whimpering and whining away. After about 5 minutes of this the neighbor asks the farmer why his dog is whining so much. The farmer replies “my dog is sitting on a nail”. The neighbor then asks, “why doesn’t the dog move then”? The farmer replies, “because he’s too lazy to do anything about it”.

all i know is that it would suck to be tying my shoes while randman’s avatar walked by.

[quote]lothario1132 wrote:
On a more philosophical note, I’d like to point out that the truly powerful don’t complain. Because when you are truly powerful, nothing bothers you. [/quote]

Wrong! While I believe the less one complains about given situations the greater their character I also know pleny of people who don’t complain a lick (mostly MN lutherans)not because they have nothing to complain about bust just because they keep it all botteld inside. This cannot be healthy either. Especially when it comes to relationships. Keep pushing it down–one day it’s going to explode.

[quote]randman wrote:
I think you lost the point of my rant. Nowhere did I say one should accept mediocrity. Quite the contrary, I’ll be the first to tell you I’m always striving to better myself in multiple areas of my life.
[/quote]

I was agreeing with you. It’s okay to be pissed off at the norm and say so. As long as what is said is constuctive and helpful. Also, as you pointed out with the parable–one has to be willing to change their own life and not just accept their own the hand they’ve been dealt.