T Nation

Why Does Everyone Hate Capitalism?

I am very curious as to why capitalism is all of a sudden considered evil.

Because the man is keeping me down.

My 40 hours per week of work should entitle me to live like a king.

/sarcasm

I capitalism.

Just make sure you all use lots of energy and utilities, and drive a lot. Electric, nat. gas, water, you name it.

You’re putting my kids through college.

THANKS!

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
I am very curious as to why capitalism is all of a sudden considered evil.
[/quote]

The evil doctrines of dialectical materialism and collectivism…and it isn’t “all of the sudden”.

If you tell the right people over and over again that they are being exploited they will naturally start believing it even when there is no evidence of exploitation. If a business owner requires your services to produce something that he determines will bring him a profit and he pays you what you agree at the time is an “honest” wage then you cannot be said to have been exploited.

However, the greed card works in reverse too. One might naturally come to believe he is being exploited because by his own greed he is not earning the wage he later comes to desire, especially after he sees how much more someone else is making doing the same job. If he can command a higher wage somewhere else or convince his boss to raise his wage he will do so – if he cannot he will silently curse his boss for being greedy while simultaneously not recognizing his own greed for what it is.

When forced to compete the naturally inept will fall but they can never be made to believe it is because of their own ineptness. It is always someone else’s fault. It is the greedy capitalists’ fault. Upon further observation and analytical insight, however, one might come to the conclusion that certain blame indeed lies somewhere else – namely in socialism.

The accusations of the evilness of capitalism are false. Capitalism alone provides for the most efficient use of property and indeed is the only doctrine based on the natural rights theory of property – the notion that ownership is based on first use and that those owners are free to exchange or contract the use of that property to fulfill another more urgently felt desire.

Capitalism has made man more wealthy even though he owns nothing but his own life. It has provided him with cheaper, more durable, and more abundant goods that could not have been realized through feudal ties to the land. It has lengthened his life with cheap medicine and improved its quality through the arts. Capitalism is the ultimate means to organize society based on the best wishes a man can have for himself provided he is ready to serve society.

More importantly capitalism provides man a peaceable solution to naturally occurring scarcity of resources and endless wants. He no longer requires the use of arms to gain at someone else’s loss – though he should still stand ready to defend what is rightfully his. What can be less hateful than a system such as this?

Capitalism, do you mean
LIKE THIS? WHY IS THIS HATED?

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Capitalism, do you mean
LIKE THIS? WHY IS THIS HATED?[/quote]

Because it’s loud,flashy and obnoxious.

Because it means you have to work, some magical rich person is supposed to provide everything for us.

Not everyone hates capitalism, just as everyone doesn’t hate socialism. I know. Everyone or next to everyone on this site thinks they’re Gordon Gecko, or some type of laizzes-faire supplement tycoon, and mouths the party line about how big government is stealing the food out of their kids mouths. Fu-cking Please. Taxes are the gym dues for living here. We fund road building, civic planning, military expenditures, the police and a host other things too important to live without.

Sure, the private sector could pay for it all. Except the water we drink would cost 3.50 for a 12 oz bottled version with food dye in it masquerading as vitamins, we’d repackage our dead in a cracker box, and everybody would look all cute and shit in their little chairman mao uniforms we’d undoubtedly be required to wear to our performance interviews.

The Republicans throwing out all this crap about Barack Obama being a Socialist and redestributing our wealth is a red herring designed to cover-up their version of wealth redistribution over the last 8 years. I don’t know about you, but after the ass-beating my 401k has taken in the last 12 months, I’d like to see a little less trickle down, and the powers that be doing a little more cowboyin’ up.

[quote]Amused59 wrote:
Not everyone hates capitalism, just as everyone doesn’t hate socialism. I know. Everyone or next to everyone on this site thinks they’re Gordon Gecko, or some type of laizzes-faire supplement tycoon, and mouths the party line about how big government is stealing the food out of their kids mouths. Fu-cking Please. Taxes are the gym dues for living here. We fund road building, civic planning, military expenditures, the police and a host other things too important to live without.

Sure, the private sector could pay for it all. Except the water we drink would cost 3.50 for a 12 oz bottled version with food dye in it masquerading as vitamins, we’d repackage our dead in a cracker box, and everybody would look all cute and shit in their little chairman mao uniforms we’d undoubtedly be required to wear to our performance interviews.

The Republicans throwing out all this crap about Barack Obama being a Socialist and redestributing our wealth is a red herring designed to cover-up their version of wealth redistribution over the last 8 years. I don’t know about you, but after the ass-beating my 401k has taken in the last 12 months, I’d like to see a little less trickle down, and the powers that be doing a little more cowboyin’ up.[/quote]

Do di do

We do not live in a capitalistic society at present that is why there is welfare and pointless government projects.

The government should only tax to provide an infrastructure, not give money back to people.

We should either move to a flat tax or a consumer tax, the government should not fund special interest groups.

they don’t hate capitalism per say, seeing as how we are NOWHERE near being a capitalistic society.

I guess people hate what they perceive to be capitalism, which in reality is a capitalistic-based system guided by government interference

because it exposes the discrepancies between individuals

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
I am very curious as to why capitalism is all of a sudden considered evil.[/quote]

Sheer and utter stupidity. Capitalism is what makes the world tick. You work hard, you make money. God forbid some people get off their asses and do something.

Too many people do not understand capitalism. Many think capitalism simply means a few people get a lot of money and hold others down, which is not capitalism.

Amused59 is a perfect example of this, twisting business into some Soylant Green form of reality.

Capitalism puts the consumer in charge. It is the reason Wal-Mart is the biggest retailer on Earth. (Knocking Sears off it’s former perch.) Yet just 20 years ago it was the small retailer on the block the others made fun of.

And through capitalism, they gave the whole pharmacy market a kick in the ass by offering their $4 prescriptions. Many people do not know what effect this had on that market. Other retailers had no choice but to follow suit, and drop their prices.

Many people think Microsoft is an unstoppable monopoly, but some 16 year old kid could put them out of business by creating a superior operating system.

Idiots fear corporations, yet competition makes corporations weak. The consumer holds all the power.

I have seen large corporations bend over backwards for customers who did not deserve it. (We have all stood in line, and seen some whiny customer make unreasonable demands and get their way.)

Capitalism means I can do it. Personal responsibility realized. Socialism is somebody else doing it for you. (And you had better hope they want to.)

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
I am very curious as to why capitalism is all of a sudden considered evil.
[/quote]

Our morality is in conflict with capitalism.

You can’t be a self-sacrificing schmoo one minute, and an independent egoistic Man the next.

Because capitalism:

a. rewards people who are smart, hard working and willing to take risks; and
b. punishes the stupid, lazy and risk adverse.

[quote]The Mage wrote:
Many people think Microsoft is an unstoppable monopoly, but some 16 year old kid could put them out of business by creating a superior operating system.
[/quote]

No he will not be able to do that. I can imagine several ways in which Microsoft could be toppled, but it is impossible for an individual to create a superior operating system.

[quote]kaaleppi wrote:

No he will not be able to do that. I can imagine several ways in which Microsoft could be toppled, but it is impossible for an individual to create a superior operating system. [/quote]

And it was impossible for a guy too young to drink to create a billion dollar net worth in facebook. (Actually I don’t think his facebook value reached a billion until after he could drink.)

Never say never.

[quote]The Mage wrote:
kaaleppi wrote:

No he will not be able to do that. I can imagine several ways in which Microsoft could be toppled, but it is impossible for an individual to create a superior operating system.

And it was impossible for a guy too young to drink to create a billion dollar net worth in facebook. (Actually I don’t think his facebook value reached a billion until after he could drink.)

Never say never.[/quote]

I believe windows XP has around 36 million lines of code. One person can’t even comprehend all the programing, much less write it.

[quote]kaaleppi wrote:
The Mage wrote:
Many people think Microsoft is an unstoppable monopoly, but some 16 year old kid could put them out of business by creating a superior operating system.

No he will not be able to do that. I can imagine several ways in which Microsoft could be toppled, but it is impossible for an individual to create a superior operating system. [/quote]

There are many things that an individual cannot create on his own but one individual with an idea and numerous other free individuals working in concert can as long as the capital structure is already in place.

Open source is a very powerful capitalist idea.

[quote]kaaleppi wrote:

No he will not be able to do that. I can imagine several ways in which Microsoft could be toppled, but it is impossible for an individual to create a superior operating system.

The Mage wrote:

And it was impossible for a guy too young to drink to create a billion dollar net worth in facebook. (Actually I don’t think his facebook value reached a billion until after he could drink.)

Never say never.

DoubleDuce wrote:

I believe windows XP has around 36 million lines of code. One person can’t even comprehend all the programing, much less write it.[/quote]

Who says he needs to write 36 million lines of code? Why does it have to be exactly the same thing? Maybe the kid creates a whole new revolutionary way of running an operating system on 16K of memory.

Or maybe he makes an evolutionary programming leap in Linux.