Why Do You Want To Be BIG?

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
Hamster wrote:
Pudzianowski would most certainly be healthier from his heart’s perspective, faster, quicker, and potentially more flexible should he lose 50 pounds. But he wouldn’t be stronger, hence his size.

You say it as if it were fact, but it’s just an opinion.

My personal opinion is that his heart would get weaker as he lost muscle mass, he could easily get slower and less quick by losing 50lbs of muscle, and his flexibility wouldn’t improve by losing the muscle, unless the actual muscle mass is what’s preventing him from stretching to a certain point.[/quote]

Good point. It is just an opinion, and it may very well be the wrong one.

[quote]vroom wrote:
It’s fulfilling.

Many things in life are outside of your control. Your body, and what you can do with it, is basically under your own complete control.

If I go to the gym and work very damned hard, I can force my body to adapt.

I can push and increase the volume of something by adding a few reps. If I’ve done that already then perhaps I can add a bit of weight and keep the reps in a range that aids my goals. If I’m so inclined, I can enhance endurance or specific skills.

At times I get to sweat, strain, feel an intense burn and generally know that I have the ability to focus, concentrate and push myself. There is a reward in hard effort and it’s name is progress and satisfaction. Somehow, as well, there is honor in the honesty of iron.

Personally, I am not chasing a particular size. I am chasing progress and size or strength are something that may demonstrate that I’ve worked very hard for a very long time, at least to those that can recognize it.

I’ve got a long way to go. In fact, the road is probably endless… it’s a journey that I will treasure.[/quote]

I agree. The self-fulfillment part of this whole thing is what has driven me to lift weights for years. I like the process and the challenge of it.

Here’s another one: it’s fun.

[quote]Hamster wrote:
A big body is typically much slower, less agile, less flexible, and more detrimental to long term health.
[/quote]

Where are you getting this? I personally am faster, quicker, and more agile at 270 than i was at 215. If that extra weight is muscle, I can’t see why it would detrimental.

[quote]Hamster wrote:
I don’t know of any studies, but weight is certainly a load on the heart and joints. [/quote]

Actually, your heart gets stronger assuming your other activities are “healthy” as well. Load on the joints? You mean, like running? Every jogger is at risk of runner’s knee and other problems. Running itself is detrimental to joints so why are you not also against everyone who runs in marathons?

[quote]
Good point. I don’t mean to be fixed in my definitions, but I agree that I’ve presented them that way. I’ve also known 350lb linemen from my college who could outrun skinny bastards in the 40, but that doesn’t change the point. The upper limit of their speed, quickness, and flexibility is set lower due to their incredible size. Ronnie Coleman would find quickness and flexibility more easily attained were he 100 pounds lighter.[/quote]

Are YOU even at the upper limit of speed and quickness? Let’s seriously quit any waltzes around bushes. Unless you are training for the Olympics in sprinting or train for a specific sport that needs a specific set of skills, why would you care who as at the upper limit of speed and quickness? Are you implying by simply being smaller I would be at the upper limit of speed and quickness?

[quote]
I admit I’m a little weird with my response, but here me out. It’s about making yourself feel self-fulfilled. That is how I define ego. There is internal focus, and there is external focus. I call internally focus dominated people “ego-centric.” But that’s just me, and I’m likely one of them.[/quote]

I am self-fulfilled by every endeavor I succeed in. This was explained to you. Why would anyone choose bodybuilding as a source for narcissistic focus? Again, in the question posed to you before, is someone who takes their education higher than college level somehow doing it for ego alone?

[quote]
I don’t mean this to be scathing even if it comes across that way, but those are self-centered and maybe even egotistical, pride-centered statements. I have them too, but we need to recognize them for what they are. [/quote]

What? Do you put any thought into the clothes you wear? Have you ever bought a name brand shoe over another simply because it said Nike on it? Do you get hair cuts in certain styles beyond simply keeping it “functional”? Do you wash your car beyond just keeping it from being filthy to the point that it shines? These are all “pride centered”. The majority of the things we do in life are. Why focus on bodybuilding at the exclusion of the others?

Bullshit. You can be “healthy” and never lift a weight. That includes the training Edward Norton to be skinny in American X. I have also learned that only very undeveloped people look to his physique in that movie as a goal to shoot for.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Hamster wrote:

I also have no desire to fit in as “normal”. I shave my head. I have tattoos. I lift weights. I ride motorcycles. If I wanted to be normal, I would sit on my ass like everyone else.[/quote]

I hate to break this to you but a shaven head, tattoos, and riding motorcycles is the “norm”. All the cool lawyers, doctors, teachers, accountants, ect… are doing it. And nobody’s impressed.

[quote]AverageJay wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Hamster wrote:

I also have no desire to fit in as “normal”. I shave my head. I have tattoos. I lift weights. I ride motorcycles. If I wanted to be normal, I would sit on my ass like everyone else.

I hate to break this to you but a shaven head, tattoos, and riding motorcycles is the “norm”. All the cool lawyers, doctors, teachers, accountants, ect… are doing it. And nobody’s impressed.
[/quote]

Thank you for your opinion. I haven’t seen one doctor in my entire hospital who looks like you just described but thanks for playing.

[quote]Hamster wrote:
Epiphany:

Has anyone ever asked themselves why they are so intent on being big? I know we all have different goals but… I’m simply curious why hugeness is one of them? Is it purely a function of ego fulfillment? Unfortunately, I have found that to be the case for myself.

A big body is typically much slower, less agile, less flexible, and more detrimental to long term health.

Conversely, a lean, muscular body can be at the pinnacle of health, speed, quickness, and flexibility. Think Men’s Health cover, Pavel Tsatsouline, Edward Norton in “American History X,” etc…

So why be big?[/quote]

So when people your size ask dumb-ass questions such as, “Why be big?” on bodybuilding websites, I can eat them.

You can’t say that a 260 pound weight lifter is “unhealthy” because he of his size.It depends on your height too.I don’t think it’s unhealthy if a 6’2’’ guy was that big.Come on now.What,people or gonna start making fun of bodybuilders because they’re big or want to stay that way? I can tell you one thing,men weren’t designed to be little.They werent designed to be sissy men. This country was founded on strong men,not sissy men.

There is nothing wrong with being big and there is not one study that shows it’s “unhealthy”. If someone is big because they’re fat,they’re unhealthy.Fat cells hold toxins and what not.It’s a breeding place for disease and cancer.Muscles don’t.However,I do believe that there is a certain limit for everyone on how much weight they can gain,but never on what they achieve(And I’m not talking about being 260 pounds either).

By the way,no one can say lifting weights is bad for your joints.I don’t any bodybuilders with arthritis or tendonitis.

Hamster wrote:
I don’t know of any studies, but weight is certainly a load on the heart and joints.

Actually, your heart gets stronger assuming your other activities are “healthy” as well. Load on the joints? You mean, like running? Every jogger is at risk of runner’s knee and other problems. Running itself is detrimental to joints so why are you not also against everyone who runs in marathons?

Good point. I don’t mean to be fixed in my definitions, but I agree that I’ve presented them that way. I’ve also known 350lb linemen from my college who could outrun skinny bastards in the 40, but that doesn’t change the point. The upper limit of their speed, quickness, and flexibility is set lower due to their incredible size. Ronnie Coleman would find quickness and flexibility more easily attained were he 100 pounds lighter.

Are YOU even at the upper limit of speed and quickness? Let’s seriously quit any waltzes around bushes. Unless you are training for the Olympics in sprinting or train for a specific sport that needs a specific set of skills, why would you care who as at the upper limit of speed and quickness? Are you implying by simply being smaller I would be at the upper limit of speed and quickness?

I admit I’m a little weird with my response, but here me out. It’s about making yourself feel self-fulfilled. That is how I define ego. There is internal focus, and there is external focus. I call internally focus dominated people “ego-centric.” But that’s just me, and I’m likely one of them.

I am self-fulfilled by every endeavor I succeed in. This was explained to you. Why would anyone choose bodybuilding as a source for narcissistic focus? Again, in the question posed to you before, is someone who takes their education higher than college level somehow doing it for ego alone?

I don’t mean this to be scathing even if it comes across that way, but those are self-centered and maybe even egotistical, pride-centered statements. I have them too, but we need to recognize them for what they are.

What? Do you put any thought into the clothes you wear? Have you ever bought a name brand shoe over another simply because it said Nike on it? Do you get hair cuts in certain styles beyond simply keeping it “functional”? Do you wash your car beyond just keeping it from being filthy to the point that it shines? These are all “pride centered”. The majority of the things we do in life are. Why focus on bodybuilding at the exclusion of the others?

Being lean and muscular for the sake of impressing and self-fulfillment is prideful and (dare I say) sinful, but improving ones health is not. The motivators are what I’m questioning.

Bullshit. You can be “healthy” and never lift a weight. That includes the training Edward Norton to be skinny in American X. I have also learned that only very undeveloped people look to his physique in that movie as a goal to shoot for.[/quote]

Hold on a minute, prof. I never said I was against anyone, least of all bodybuilders, strength athletes, or fitness enthusiasts. I merely contend that there are many here who are focused on becoming as big as possible, without really even thinking too much about why. I fall into this category myself.

I can summarize my reasons by saying that training is fun for me, it allows aggression and stress relief, and it’s rewarding to see improvement. But after having gained some size, I’m realizing that other physical qualities are suffering. I don’t change direction as fast. I don’t perform as well on endurance related tests (i’m in the military). I’ve lost some flexibility.

In the end, I’m not trying to convince you of anything. I’m only suggesting that shooting after a smaller ideal body may benefit some of the other physical qualities, as well as overall health. I don’t have studies to support my idea, and I wasn’t aware that in order to post on this forum you had to research on medline first. I’m just giving my opinion, folks.

[quote] Professor X wrote:

I am self-fulfilled by every endeavor I succeed in. This was explained to you. Why would anyone choose bodybuilding as a source for narcissistic focus? Again, in the question posed to you before, is someone who takes their education higher than college level somehow doing it for ego alone? [/quote]

sorry, I don’t mean to keep sidestepping your point Prof. I think there are many non-egotistical reasons to improve one’s education.

But theologically, you must recognize at some level, that training to be big and scary and different than everyone else is a vain pursuit. One that is even egotistical.

And for the record, I’m not saying that I ain’t egotistical. I may be the worst one!

to crush my enemes, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Oo. . hamster I see where you were going with this now, and it makes sense.

I agree with Prof X that most things that most people do are pride motivated. If your car costs more than $5000 you are pride motivated. Yes, you could take all the time you spend in the gym and devote it to soup kitchens. But that seems like a rather unfair standard.

There are ‘holy’ reasons to bodybuild, I suppose. Health seems right. Protecting others seems right [and no, I don’t get in fights, but I know that my presence has been of comfort to women in uncomfortable situations – like this homeless guy who was harrassing a solitary woman at a bus stop, that sort of thing.] The biggest high bodybuilding has ever given me is pushing other peoples cars out of the snow. Ya, in a way it’s prideful to feel like a hero when you do that, but is it a ‘holy’ pride? I mean wouldn’t it be more problematic if I felt that way after pushing my car out of the snow?

You mentioned the word theologically. do you think that theologically speaking, God would want us to make the most of the bodies he gave us? I also think that he wants men to be manly and engage in Testosterone endeavours. It just feels like what I was meant to do. [After all, we were designed to work hard with our bodies, but technology has taken that from us.]

AverageJay wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Hamster wrote:

I also have no desire to fit in as “normal”. I shave my head. I have tattoos. I lift weights. I ride motorcycles. If I wanted to be normal, I would sit on my ass like everyone else.

Thank you for your opinion. I haven’t seen one doctor in my entire hospital who looks like you just described but thanks for playing.[/quote]

Yea, and I haven’t seen the majority of the people at walmart walking around like that either.

I think it’s a fair assumption to say that you can judge who make up the majority of your community by looking at Walmart shoppers over different time periods.

The majority I’ve seen also don’t look like they lift weights.

AverageJay wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Hamster wrote:

Thank you for your opinion. I haven’t seen one doctor in my entire hospital who looks like you just described but thanks for playing.[/quote]

Prof-
well if you’re in LA, you can drop by mine and find my bald head wandering the halls, but you won’t see the ink at work, I figure from the neck up and wrists down is fair to spare so I don’t scare my patients. Even so, the breed is pretty rare.

AverageJay,

umm, doctors are normal? Accountants? Professionals in general? Is not having the sense to get a decent job a determinant of hipness or normality now?

You clearly don’t know many MDs well. I’ve spent a year out of the last 6 in the hospital making the place smell like burnt meat and butchery; you don’t walk into or away from that if you’re ‘normal’.

As to why I want to be big- 'cos I was an extremely overweight teenager (at 285 at 17), started doing martial arts over 15 years ago, made it down to 188 at one point (and was a twig)before bouncing up to 245 at the end of residency, and have since discovered that it’s far easier for me to eat a reasonably clean diet, lift heavy, train hard, and slowly convert fat over to muscle than it is for me to try to see the other side of 220 again. Only with insane dieting and weight cutting will I see the other side of 220, that means anytime I’m competing, I’m a superheavyweight. Generally speaking, it’s probably better to be a 245 at a given bf% in that weightclass than 20lbs lighter at the same bf%.

And, oh yeah, if you’re gonna walk around over 200lbs at 6’ 1", trying to look like a member of Suede is just silly and ineffective when it comes to the ladies. Big guys trying to look like little guys get no play; big guys looking like big guys- there’s a market for that. A few years back I realized I was turning into a balding guy with a ponytail, put on Suicidal Tendancies, shaved my head, got a decent suit instead of the silliness I’d been trying to wear, and at the end of a weekend of clubbing had more numbers than I’d gotten in the last 6 months (and had gotten mistaken for security at every club I hit).

Andrew

So I don’t have to act like a hard nut on internet forums; I can actually be one. ehehe

[quote]Hamster wrote:
Hold on a minute, prof. I never said I was against anyone, least of all bodybuilders, strength athletes, or fitness enthusiasts. I merely contend that there are many here who are focused on becoming as big as possible, without really even thinking too much about why. I fall into this category myself.[/quote]

How much thought needs to go into, “I want to be like that”? I keep relating it to education because it makes sense to do so. Would you be making similar statements like, “it seems some people are focused on getting college educations without really thinking why”?

[quote]
I can summarize my reasons by saying that training is fun for me, it allows aggression and stress relief, and it’s rewarding to see improvement. But after having gained some size, I’m realizing that other physical qualities are suffering. I don’t change direction as fast. I don’t perform as well on endurance related tests (i’m in the military). I’ve lost some flexibility.[/quote]

This is what does not make sense to me. Unless you are training those “other physical qualities”, they will suffer whether you are training for size or not. So again, why would anyone be concerned about being at the “upper limit of speed” unless they were training to be? You aren’t making much sense with this. If you want to be more agile, train for it. Quit acting like you being less agile is a direct result of being muscular. It isn’t. Stop pretending.

If those other qualities are important, train for them! Why would having 20" arms stop you from doing this? Studies aren’t even necessary, however, you aren’t speaking to a room full of newbies. I have personally been lifting for about 10 years and I am sure others may have been going at it longer. Obviously, if my goal was to be the fastest human on the planet, I would train to be that way. Trying to act as if I am not that way because I lift to be big makes NO SENSE.

I wanted to be big because I have an overlarge cranium. It is perhaps the worst head in the history of heads. If I had Ronnie Coleman’s body, my head would still be a tad bit too large. What a mess.

Prof X wrote
“How much thought needs to go into, “I want to be like that”? I keep relating it to education because it makes sense to do so. Would you be making similar statements like, “it seems some people are focused on getting college educations without really thinking why”?”

I’ve actually had that thought during my last four years at college. I fully understand the general necessity of a college education and further in obtaining a high paying job. However, I have to say, the majority of the education I’ve received at UVa hasn’t come from the classes I’ve been taking, but rather from the books I’ve read on my own. Have I made myself more marketable to the corporate world? Yes. Did I truly need this education to function in said world? I don’t think I did. Maybe it’s only because I love reading, and about a wide range of subjects, but I question the necessity of college education, especially those focused in the liberal arts, as it seems more than possible to do it on your own. I think Matt Damon put it well in Good Will Hunting, “You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library.”