Why Do You Lift?

[quote]Dr_Feelgood wrote:
My parents had me start swimming lessons when I was 3 and martial arts when I was 6. My dad always made me do extra pushups and situps after class.
They also had me do skiing, golf, skating, sports camps etc…

Since my memory doesn’t go far back beyond 6, “working out” has been part of my life as long as I can remember.

It feels odd NOT being in the gym.

Now it’s just something I love doing and learning about as I go, (and deep down, I do enjoy it when someone comments on it)

There’s also a strong history of heart and cholesterol trouble in my family, so it’s nice being able to keep that in check to a certain extent.[/quote]

My parents had me doing NONE of that stuff. The odd feeble attempt at organized sports teams and swimming lessons and that was it. Now I do it, for all the selfish reasons, and also, to show my boy that taking care of yourself is the right thing to do. Trying to lead by example as it were.

Now, he’s the one who is 7 yrs old, and is into baseball, soccer, karate, and swimming lessons. Don’t get me started on what an awesome kid he is. That’s for another thread.

|/ 3Toes

I believe there was an earlier thread about this too. I’ll say more on it since this forum is about the only play time I have.

Why do I workout?
I was born with it and the desire to get stronger has been in my blood since I was fourteen. I’ve hardly any time for my mom and good friends.

Yes, I’ve sacrificed social life but the knowledge I get from training when I produce results is the ultimate satisfaction for me especially when I see my own body change and grow. For me, training is happiness and a little piece of heaven on earth. I know I’m somewhat extreme than most in my area but time is precious and I dare not waste a minute of it. Besides, I like dispel many myths about age and lifting iron is the fountain of youth IMO.

[quote]bkavulla wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
Dane Percival wrote:
I dont understand why anyone would ever want anything less than a “high performance” body.

I often wonder why people are soooo attached to ther vehicles and how these vehicles look, yet their own true vehicle, (the body)is lain to waste.

Stupid.

Trying to impress women.[/quote]

A car is less painful to obtain for most people than a ‘high performance body’.

[quote]bkavulla wrote:
I’d say most men lift weights (at least initially…at the start) to either:

1. Impress women
  2. Impress (intimidate, compete with…) other men.

Usually both.[/quote]

I’d rather say most men start lifting for those reasons. If your motives don’t evolve, I only see a slim chance of not becoming a quitter after a few weeks. Seen it before, am seeing it right now, will see it again. 1) and 2) remain nice collateral benefits, though…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I like to scare little children. [/quote]

I like to make dogs bark and old ladies cry.

Fighting ageing and redeeming sins.

I was a competitive gymnast up until I finished middle school. I had a pretty respectable body for my age. All the guys were scared to make me too made, in case I decided to punch them. I’m not the punching type though.

In high school I didn’t have time to do gymnastics because marching band practice was at the same time. I didn’t have any interest in playing any sports at school, even the one that my band schedule would have allowed. We had a weightlifting team, but I wasn’t interested. One of the football coaches kept begging me to quit band and become a running back, but music was, and is still, my life.

I started lifting mainly because of the freshman 15 (or 25 in my case). At first I tried distance running because I had done that before I was a gymnast. That didn’t help to lean me up, it only screwed up my shins. So I bought a kettlebell and read some of Pavel’s stuff. After about a month of kettlebell training, it had gotten too light so I decided it was time to join a gym. I haven’t looked back.

Like the other poster said, I love lifting heavy shit. The aesthetic benefit is nice, and I do keep that in mind, but I’m of the belief that form follows function, so it isn’t my focus. My focus is on squatting, pulling, benching, military pressing, cleaning, jerking, and snatching as much as I can. I love the “dead trout” look I get from other guys in the gym when I do one-arm DB power snatches. I love handing large strong men a tough gripper and watching them struggle, and then taking it from them and click it’s closed. I love when people see how much weight I load on to the bar for squats (which admittedly isn’t all that much, but it’s a hell of a lot more than most guys in my gym squat), and they laugh to their buddies about how I won’t make it because I’m small (5’10’’ 195 lbs), and then I do an easy triple.

That shit’s fun. And it gets my fiancee all worked up to watch me too. Maybe that’s a better reason, I dunno. :slight_smile:

Aiming for a better physique, generally inspired by those who have achieved overall great results by lifting.

Was weak and unathletic. HAD to do something about it. Didnt like being bullied around. Now I doubt anyone would dare. Thanks to the iron.

Amir

I first started lifting to lose weight and get in shape. I had always played sports growing up and through college, but let things slide since then. Now I find myself addicted to lifting, nutrition, this site… I sometimes wonder why the heck I am doing all this, most women my age with little kids are not spending their time this way - but it’s healthy, I’m starting to really see the benefits of all my hard work, I’m setting a good example for my boys and I’m not getting any younger (but want to).

Getting to the gym is my “me time” where I can work hard and make progress. Sometimes being a stay home mom of little ones it feels like the same thing over and over - in the gym I can change things up and see results.

At first it was a calculated, “i do this and it will help with x,y,z”. Now that i bought the equipment i just do it because i can. It destresses me.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned zombies yet.

I first started lifting for football and then I got completely hooked on beating my PRs and perfecting my form. Two years later I’ve dropped football and wrestling and just lift for strength year round. I also like the way I look because of my training. My goal is to look like a gorilla and attempt to lift 1/2 of what they can.

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
I can’t believe no one has mentioned zombies yet.[/quote]

I hate to quote myself, but…

[quote]Danny McV said this crazy shit one time:
Now, corpses’ hair and nails continue to grow after death. This is a known fact.
They continue to grow nails and hair because they’re not really dead! these “un-dead” (if you will) are incredible athletes. They have amzing endurance and monumental strength. You’re probably wondering what their secret is. Well, I’m here to tell you that it’s as simple as their diet. What do they eat, you ask? It’s very simple: Human brains. Most living people don’t realize the kind of nutritional value an average brain has. But! you don’t have to settle for the mere human brain. The best way to access the power of the “un-dead” is to defeat them in single combat, and eat their brains! This gives you the focused power of all the brains they have ever eaten.
[/quote]

I train to defeat zombies in hand-to-hand combat. I defeat zombies in hand-to-hand combat to eat their brains. I eat their brains to harness their powers.

It’s really a neverending battle.

Dan “Did someone say ‘Zombpocolypse’?” McVicker

Like other people said, you have to options in life: you can be weak, or you can be strong. I choose to be strong, because why would anyone with a brain would choose to be weak?!

Besides, it is fun to train. I don’t need any motivation to go to the gym. Lifting weights is motivating by itself. Furthermore, improving on the squat/deadlift/bench makes me feel great, even if it is just 5lb.

The other side effects, like looking good naked and intimidating other men because they have boobs and you have muscles, are also welcome.

And if I ever have to fight zombies, I think I’m almost ready. I just have to improve a little on my overhead squats and hang snatch, and no zombie will match me on a fight.

How did the whole zombie thing come about? It’s given me so many good laughs lol.

Because my girlfriend thinks its alot more impressive than it actually is when she finds out I can rack pull 475 lbs for a single.

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
I can’t believe no one has mentioned zombies yet.[/quote]

That’s what the pocket knives and swords are for.

1. Competitive sport
  2. Lifting heavier and heavier is just plain fun.
  3. Though not a primary motive, chicks dig it.

I hate seeing heavy stuff on the floor.

Zombies are “heavy stuff,” by the way.