Why Do You Lift?

It’s all functional though…I bet you and your bodybuilding friends could barely swing that sword.

[quote]riverhawk23 wrote:
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!!!

THIS IS THE ONLY REASSON TO LIFT1[/quote]

Awesome! I watched that again a few weeks ago! Such a line…

the inner confidence that comes with feeling strong
to stay young
health and well being
sense of achievement. there is something innately satisfying about changing the way you look, especially when the lazy detractors repeatedly tell you you are wasting your time or are too old/wrong genetics etc.

(so what if this has been done before, nothing wrong with remeniscing about what your motivations are once in a while, there are plenty of worse irrelevant threads on here)

[quote]riverhawk23 wrote:
It’s all functional though…I bet you and your bodybuilding friends could barely swing that sword.[/quote]

It was a joke:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/pussyitis_do_you_have_it?pageNo=14#bottom

I lift so I am ablebodied enough to take on zombies when the zombie apocolypse comes.

[quote]forlife wrote:

Because I’m asking why you choose to BB, not why you choose to play sports, powerlift, etc.[/quote]

Nothing against you, friend. I just thought your reasons for lifting were all non-bodybuilding related.

I train like a bodybuilder because I would like to look like a bodybuilder. Bodybuilding is bodybuilding… to build oneself up to impressive levels of muscularity.

We all want to be big and strong, correct? Is there any other reason to bodybuild…?

I’ve always valued being strong and physical activity (especially after seeing Terminator II). Plus I have always enjoyed all kinds of physical sports, something about the making effort and the whole adrenaline rush thing.

I train mainly for strength, specifically Olympic Weightlifting.

Main reason is to GET STRONG AS FUCK!!! Plus this sports also gives the added benefits of speed, and flexibility.

The other reasons, some of them I’ve come across during training and competing.

-Is FUN! Really it is, especially when ur having a good day and lifts feel smooth and solid.

-Inner Confidence. Keeps it up and builds it.

-Theuraputic. Its clears the mind.

-It also teaches me about myself and my character, and it points out flaws.
–ex: my coach said to me recently:“NeoSpartan, the only reason why ur not snatching 90kg is because ur not training often enough”.
—>seems simple, but I’ve always had a tendency to be inconsistent with things I set out to do unless there is some kind of dateline or I am forced to get on it. Since then I’ve been training more often, and I am trying to expand that to other areas of life, primary college and personal drawings.

-Size and Health are a result of training and good nutrition.

I have a more enjoyable time when I’m have a bad day. I can let out all my anger on the weights.

becuse I want to have more sex

I want to compete, i may not have it now, or 2moro or in 2 years but when im 250 and a reasonable %BF i will consider it. Even if its just for an experience.

Something about goin on stage and being appreciated because of the efforts that youve been putting in. That said, only 3 months in hahaha :slight_smile:

[quote]blaque.ops wrote:
riverhawk23 wrote:
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!!!

THIS IS THE ONLY REASSON TO LIFT1

Awesome! I watched that again a few weeks ago! Such a line…[/quote]

indeed it is.

guess it comes from Genghis Khan originally.

Genghis was a fucking badass dude

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:
We all want to be big and strong, correct? Is there any other reason to bodybuild…?[/quote]

I agree, and said the same in my original post. My question though was why do you want to be big and strong? Is it for aesthetics, for performance, or what? What does being big and strong get you that being small and weak doesn’t?

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
blaque.ops wrote:
riverhawk23 wrote:

THIS IS THE ONLY REASSON TO LIFT1

Awesome! I watched that again a few weeks ago! Such a line…

indeed it is.

guess it comes from Genghis Khan originally.

Genghis was a fucking badass dude[/quote]

Yea but Genghis Khan didn’t bodybuild. If you really wanted "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!!! " Stop wasting your time lifting weights like an idiot, and move to Mongolia, become a warlord, and conquer an empire 4 times the size of Rome. Be sure to crush Persia and all of Eurasia.

Just so I can claim that mantle of being above average strength and exhibiting some amount of ‘male beauty’ as well as feeling better about not being the greatest in those sports that I did not take up. It’s probably the most accessible sport there is,lifting. Powerlifting,bodybuilding etc. Simple as it gets,and yet a recognized activity.

wouldnt say they were simple. simple to begin, extremely difficult to be successful

[quote]Invictica wrote:
I lift so I am ablebodied enough to take on zombies when the zombie apocolypse comes. [/quote]

I’ve been playing too much left 4 dead too lately.

On that note, I intially began for sports related purposes, it then became for aesthetic reasons, after that it became a routine, a lifestyle and an obsession.

cuz im misunderstood

I lift just to have calluses on my hands, then I stand on the treadmill in the back, never turn it one and just watch the cardio bunnies asses as they run

To get big and strong like arnold.

I lift because I don’t want to grow weak as I grow old.

Also, it levels out & tempers the daily rage I get from work :slight_smile: