Why Do You Hate Crossfit?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
5. They think that Cultfit’s arrogant assertion that “I am good at the Xfit games, therefore, I am better at (insert mainstream sport) than those who train specifically for that mainstream sport” is insulting and asinine.[/quote]

I have never heard them proclaim this. Their claim is something like “They will do well at your given specialty but will destroy in anything other than your specialty” because they train all the different modalities and are well-rounded.

I don’t dislike the program at all…in fact I think its a good program for military, etc who need to have some strength and high fitness levels.

I do hate their attitude of thinking they are better than others and that their program is the best for everything.

My brother does crossfit ( I actually convinced him to do it he’s in Army). He started talking to me one night about bodybuilders muscles not being as functional as a crossfit guy. So I challenged him to wrestling (he was fifth in his division in wrestling).

He came at me 3 times…each time all I had to do was give him an old hand punch (I used to be a FB lineman/tight end) and threw him across the room. He hasn’t said anything about unfunctional muscle since

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
mmllcc wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:
mmllcc wrote:
Dre the Hatchet wrote:
Workout selection is random, no real focus on progressive overload, you barely improve limit and maximal strength plus the training stlye is crazy dangerous with no real benefit ( 100 reps power cleans or kettlebell swings, etc)

So Dave Tate broke his back, tore his calf muscles in half, on and on and on…and CF is dangerous? Somebody sounds like he was protected by his mommy for too long.

that wasn’t really his point. we all know that any lifting has the potential for injury. his point was that most non-cf lifters believe that doing olyimpic lifts (which rely heavily on near flawless technique for their safe execution) in a fatigued state, especially at high reps, carries a far greater risk for injury.

I have heard this argument before and it is semi valid EXCEPT that most high rep Olympic lifts they do are done with relatively light weights…so no harm is done.

there is still harm in the sense that when performing the lift in a fatigued state you are going to be using sloppy form regardless of the weight. this reinforces poor technique and a faulty movement pattern in the lifter.

this can lead to overuse injuries (becuase the lifter isn’t using the correct muscles / form for the lift) or a fairly serious injury if the lifter uses the same poor form when he does used a heavier weight and fails.[/quote]

Maybe so. But I don’t know of any examples where this theory of overuse, poor form, etc. has actually resulted in injury. Maybe it has - but if it was experienced on a large scale it would be evident by now. So nothing to worry about.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
People hate Crossfit for the following reasons:

1. They don’t like CFr’s attitudes. But fail to realize they have the very same one about whatever they are doing.[/quote]

CFers most definitely have attitudes. The fact that others may have attitudes doesn’t excuse this.

[quote]2. They think Glassman is a fat ass. But fail to realize so is (was) Dave Tate, so was CT, and so is (was) Dan John, etc.
3. They don’t realize Glassman is probably a fatass because he is handicap from some injury - unlike the others I mentioned; and Dave Tate would probably be handicapped if it wasn’t for his copious amounts roids (not that there is anything wrong with that).
4. They think Glassman is mean and says mean things and it hurts their feelings. But they forget that so does Dave Tate, PQ and practically every other coach that writes for T-Nation.[/quote]

Glassman is an asshole, and even if he’s not, he comes across as one. A big one at that. And the fact that other coaches may also be assholes doesn’t excuse his behavior. And there are plenty of coaches who have proven experience as both competitors and coaches who are not assholes. Dan John and CT both come to mind. Each is willing to share their knowledge, and each has probably forgotten more about strength and conditioning than Glassman will ever know.

Okay, some of the CF chicks are definitely hot.

The bottom line is take what is useful and throw the rest away. CF has some useful ideas. And there are some good CF affiliates who come up with some good workouts without the whole CF attitude. For instance, Michael Rutherford has developed a system that combines max effort work to build strength along with a CF metabolic conditioning routine. His stuff is good.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:

1. I have never heard anyone with half a brain that does Crosffit say that. The opposite is said in their lit.

2. No crap - but whenever people hate on Glassman they always just call him a fat ass and then say he is a dumbass because he prescribes high rep Olympic lifts (which my wrestling coach kind of used to do as well be he was a sadomasochistic prick; maybe they have something in common).

3. Hey dickhead - I REALLY don’t have a problem with people taking steroids. Would do so myself if it wasn’t illegal.

4. Glassman has done big things. A lot of people know a lot more about fitness than they used to do and a lot of people’s lives have been changed from it for the better. Far more than T-Nation has. Also - I discovered T-Nation, by recommendation of some CFrs. There are a lot of engineers that have never flown a plane but have built some damn good ones.

5. Response to #1.

6. So does T-Nation.

7. You are ugly and gay.
    [/quote]

8. That is a direct quote from Glassman.

9. So you’re agreeing with me that the only thing Glassman has been successful at is creating the biggest fitness scam of the past decade?

10. Then why bring it up?

11. What champions has Glassman trained? What has he accomplished himself? Until you give hard evidence of the efficacy of the Crossfit methodology in a certain arena (ie, “Crossfit makes good football players” and then present the good football players who use Xfit), then you’re all just blowing smoke.

12. pay more attention. this is a common occurance.

13. Does T-Nation invade every other training forum on the internet trumpeting the superiority of their systems?

[quote]olinerules87 wrote:
I don’t dislike the program at all…in fact I think its a good program for military, etc who need to have some strength and high fitness levels.

I do hate their attitude of thinking they are better than others and that their program is the best for everything.

My brother does crossfit ( I actually convinced him to do it he’s in Army). He started talking to me one night about bodybuilders muscles not being as functional as a crossfit guy. So I challenged him to wrestling (he was fifth in his division in wrestling). He came at me 3 times…each time all I had to do was give him an old hand punch (I used to be a FB lineman/tight end) and threw him across the room. He hasn’t said anything about unfunctional muscle since[/quote]

Must have been a division made up of five people. I have never seen a FB player take out a wrestler so easily, or at all as a matter of fact. Besides, kickass skills are not the same thing as fitness levels.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:

1. They don’t like CFr’s attitudes. But fail to realize they have the very same one about whatever they are doing.
  2. They think Glassman is a fat ass. But fail to realize so is (was) Dave Tate, so was CT, and so is (was) Dan John, etc.
  3. They don’t realize Glassman is probably a fatass because he is handicap from some injury - unlike the others I mentioned; and Dave Tate would probably be handicapped if it wasn’t for his copious amounts roids (not that there is anything wrong with that).
  4. They think Glassman is mean and says mean things and it hurts their feelings. But they forget that so does Dave Tate, PQ and practically every other coach that writes for T-Nation.
  5. They think they are the “real” athletes and the CFr’s are not. Whatever the hell that means. If they think so the CF games are open to anyone. Sign up and go kick their asses.
  6. They think Glasman and CF as a whole say they invented everything they do. But they don’t realize Glassman never said that. They also don’t realize that nothing the T-Nation coaches say or write is original either. Somebody, somewhere has done it all before.
  7. CFrs are good looking and they are ugly. Ugly people are always jealous of the good looking ones.

[/quote]

I hate crossfit because of douchebags like this.

well it does make chicks look hot.

[quote]jo3 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
I have to admit, I have no idea what cross fit is. Consider this a confession.

Same here. But I do know that Crossfit can turn normal female bodies into outstanding female bodies.[/quote]

I applaud crossfit for encouraging women to practice overhead squats repeatedly. Now if I can only get a few of the ladies at my gym to comply…

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
mmllcc wrote:

1. I have never heard anyone with half a brain that does Crosffit say that. The opposite is said in their lit.

2. No crap - but whenever people hate on Glassman they always just call him a fat ass and then say he is a dumbass because he prescribes high rep Olympic lifts (which my wrestling coach kind of used to do as well be he was a sadomasochistic prick; maybe they have something in common).

3. Hey dickhead - I REALLY don’t have a problem with people taking steroids. Would do so myself if it wasn’t illegal.

4. Glassman has done big things. A lot of people know a lot more about fitness than they used to do and a lot of people’s lives have been changed from it for the better. Far more than T-Nation has. Also - I discovered T-Nation, by recommendation of some CFrs. There are a lot of engineers that have never flown a plane but have built some damn good ones.

5. Response to #1.

6. So does T-Nation.

7. You are ugly and gay.

8. That is a direct quote from Glassman.

9. So you’re agreeing with me that the only thing Glassman has been successful at is creating the biggest fitness scam of the past decade?

10. Then why bring it up?

11. What champions has Glassman trained? What has he accomplished himself? Until you give hard evidence of the efficacy of the Crossfit methodology in a certain arena (ie, “Crossfit makes good football players” and then present the good football players who use Xfit), then you’re all just blowing smoke.

12. pay more attention. this is a common occurance.

13. Does T-Nation invade every other training forum on the internet trumpeting the superiority of their systems?
    [/quote]

14. Where?

15. Yes, except for the scam part. He has never gotten one red cent from me.

16. It is a differentiating factor.

17. Cf never says they make good football players, I believe what they said was that they can make good football players better.

18. Perhaps instead you can take some remedial reading comprehension courses.

19. I hardly trumpet the superiority of CF; but I will defend it when people mis-characterize it. I am hardly invading “your” forum. I have a level 4 because I drop a boat load of money on the sups that support this site and you…not so much.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
mmllcc wrote:

1. They don’t like CFr’s attitudes. But fail to realize they have the very same one about whatever they are doing.
  2. They think Glassman is a fat ass. But fail to realize so is (was) Dave Tate, so was CT, and so is (was) Dan John, etc.
  4. They think Glassman is mean and says mean things and it hurts their feelings. But they forget that so does Dave Tate, PQ and practically every other coach that writes for T-Nation.
  5. They think they are the “real” athletes and the CFr’s are not. Whatever the hell that means. If they think so the CF games are open to anyone. Sign up and go kick their asses.
  6. They think Glasman and CF as a whole say they invented everything they do. But they don’t realize Glassman never said that. They also don’t realize that nothing the T-Nation coaches say or write is original either. Somebody, somewhere has done it all before.
  7. CFrs are good looking and they are ugly. Ugly people are always jealous of the good looking ones.

I hate crossfit because of douchebags like this. [/quote]

fucking lol…

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
mmllcc wrote:

8. They don’t like the idea that cultfit is a superior training methodology for ALL specifications, INCLUDING bodybuilding. That brand of arrogance is irritating.

9. Dave Tate is an elite powerlifter. CT was a successful olympic lifter before he turned to bodybuilding. Dan John has had years of success as a coach in track and field and highland games. The only thing to my knowledge that Glassman has been successful at is creating the biggest fitness scam of the past decade. There is much more to being successful in the world of strength than being lean, and the fact that you are trying to prove a point to the extent of the opposite shows exactly how green you are.

10. Here comes the crossfitter’s favorite strawman: “Yeah but so and so does steroids! NTTAWWT…”

11. They think Glassman is an asshole with nothing to back up his self proclaimed expertise. Dave Tate is a champion powerlifter, has trained with the best in the world. CP has trained more olympic athletes than Glassman has seen on TV. When you do big things, then people are more likely to accept your big talk.

12. They think that Cultfit’s arrogant assertion that “I am good at the Xfit games, therefore, I am better at (insert mainstream sport) than those who train specifically for that mainstream sport” is insulting and asinine.

13. No one cares where Glassman got his ideas, they hate the way in which he and his cult members present that information as vastly superior to all other training methodologies.

14. Fuck you.[/quote]

x2 with stronghold

"If you train the WODs hard, and eat right and get lots of sleep, you will definitely gain lean mass, lose fat, and yes, you can build muscle mass with the crossfit protocol. More specifically, according to Coach,
Here is a hierarchy of training for mass from greater to lesser efficacy:

1. Bodybuilding on steroids
  2. CrossFitting on steroids
  3. CrossFitting without steroids
  4. Bodybuilding without steroids
    The bodybuilding model is designed around, requires, steroids for significant hypertrophy.
    The neuroendocrine response of bodybuilding protocols is so blunted that without “exogenous hormonal therapy” little happens.
    Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our ahtletes do. They don’t come close.
    Those athletes who train for function end up with better form than those who value form over function. This is one of the beautiful ironies of training."

“Bodybuilders can’t punch, jump, run, or throw”

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
mmllcc wrote:

I hate crossfit because of douchebags like this. [/quote]

Stop your crying already. It is pathetic.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
"If you train the WODs hard, and eat right and get lots of sleep, you will definitely gain lean mass, lose fat, and yes, you can build muscle mass with the crossfit protocol. More specifically, according to Coach,
Here is a hierarchy of training for mass from greater to lesser efficacy:

1. Bodybuilding on steroids
  2. CrossFitting on steroids
  3. CrossFitting without steroids
  4. Bodybuilding without steroids
    The bodybuilding model is designed around, requires, steroids for significant hypertrophy.
    The neuroendocrine response of bodybuilding protocols is so blunted that without “exogenous hormonal therapy” little happens.
    Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our ahtletes do. They don’t come close.
    Those athletes who train for function end up with better form than those who value form over function. This is one of the beautiful ironies of training."

“Bodybuilders can’t punch, jump, run, or throw”[/quote]

Yes, this is about right for me. I never gained much mass doing body building protocols. When I started doing Crosfit; I didn’t gain either but I did get stronger and faster in many respects. Then I started eating more and I gained 30 pounds in 6 months.

My old chiropractor just recently opened a crossfit gym and I went by to check it out. The people were VERY enthusiastic, but they were all cool. It was pretty nice to see regular people squatting and actually training hard. Definitely not my cup of tea, but hey if it gets lazy fat asses off the couch and training its good in my book.

If I had a choice to train at a commercial gym or a crossfit gym, in my limited experience I would choose the crossfit gym. I just wouldn’t train crossfit.

I feel like crossfit leans more toward a general “athlete” physique… I would say that if you’re a fattie, crossfit isn’t a bad option.

However, I have to criticize the “block” dieting. I feel like it is way too limiting: http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
Then I started eating more and I gained 30 pounds in 6 months.[/quote]

Man, if I started eating more and did any form of exercise, I will gain weight and get stronger. Right now I am cutting so I can barely maintain what little strength I have.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
mmllcc wrote:

8. They don’t like the idea that cultfit is a superior training methodology for ALL specifications, INCLUDING bodybuilding. That brand of arrogance is irritating.

9. Dave Tate is an elite powerlifter. CT was a successful olympic lifter before he turned to bodybuilding. Dan John has had years of success as a coach in track and field and highland games. The only thing to my knowledge that Glassman has been successful at is creating the biggest fitness scam of the past decade. There is much more to being successful in the world of strength than being lean, and the fact that you are trying to prove a point to the extent of the opposite shows exactly how green you are.

10. Here comes the crossfitter’s favorite strawman: “Yeah but so and so does steroids! NTTAWWT…”

11. They think Glassman is an asshole with nothing to back up his self proclaimed expertise. Dave Tate is a champion powerlifter, has trained with the best in the world. CP has trained more olympic athletes than Glassman has seen on TV. When you do big things, then people are more likely to accept your big talk.

12. They think that Cultfit’s arrogant assertion that “I am good at the Xfit games, therefore, I am better at (insert mainstream sport) than those who train specifically for that mainstream sport” is insulting and asinine.

13. No one cares where Glassman got his ideas, they hate the way in which he and his cult members present that information as vastly superior to all other training methodologies.

14. Fuck you.[/quote]

Seriously this is the best post on this entire forum. AGREED.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
4. What champions has Glassman trained? What has he accomplished himself? Until you give hard evidence of the efficacy of the Crossfit methodology in a certain arena (ie, “Crossfit makes good football players” and then present the good football players who use Xfit), then you’re all just blowing smoke.

1. Cf never says they make good football players, I believe what they said was that they can make good football players better.[/quote]

Which football players have they made better?