T Nation

Why do you hate cardio?

Everyone on this list seems to hate cardio and believe there is no benefit.

I personally believe that cardio is one of the components of fitness and is essential if you want to get fit. Now cardio comes in many flavors just like lifting but each is worth something. Both slow and steady as well as short and intense.

I wouldn't believe i'm in shape unless I can go out and run 6 miles. So maybe my definition of fitness is similar to the military.

Has anyone tried a concept II rower(erg). It will kick your butt no matter how fit you are.

Take a dose of cardio and call me in the morning.

its not that people here HATE cardio, its just that many feel it is unnecessary if not detrimental to LBM if you go overboard. Many here are HUGE proponents of HIIT which is much more effective in terms of overall fat loss and ALOT less time consuming.

I haven't seen to many people on these forums that seem to believe there is no benefit. Most people believe that it has its place.

For example, if trying to reduce one's bodyfat, cardio is a great way to increase one's caloric deficit without reducing one's calories more.

However, if you are trying to look good naked, marathon cardio sessions are going to burn muscle mass. I personally don't think marathon runners have the best bodies.

As to hating cardio: I'm right there on many forms. Not enough mental stimulation in running/biking. I'd rather play raquetball.

In Faith,

I do personally hate cardio, but I'll admit it certainly does have it's benefits. However, cardio is often neglected here because more of us tend to be interested in body composition rather than some arbitrary notion of what it means to be 'fit'. For most, cardio means HIIT or possible a few steady state sessions per week. Runs of 6 miles that you refer to seem boring and even counterproductive when compared to my goals, but may be exactly what you need to reach yours.
Bottom line, if cardiovascular fitness is your thing, go for it. We're all here for different reasons.

I hate some forms of cardio (the borrrrrrrrring types), whereas jumping rope is totally fun! It's important to find a type of cardio that is enjoyable, otherwise you will hate it.

It's common to hear the following: "How much can you (bench, deadlift, squat, clean, etc)?" is it not?

Now, when was the last time someone asked you: "How far can you run?" I'm willing to bet on never.

PS I hate cardio.

Long, steady state cardio is good to improve someone's lung capacity.

But for fatloss and maintaining of LBM? I choose HIIT. HIIT is especially useful when you're pretty lean and need to get leaner.

meant cardio is good for a newbie or someone new to physical activiy in building up their lung capacity.

I respect all forms of fitness, including cardio.

I have seen many "tough guys" in the gym broken like a cheap watch when they try to keep up with me in a quarter mile or one mile run.

On the flip side I have seen cardio warriors who are a total joke in the gym. Unable to even bench press their body weight.

So I lift with the runners and run with the lifters..(kidding)

That is why I like both. If things appear to be such opposites then you know you are getting health benefits that you are unable to attain from just one.

I personally despise traditional cardio. I've found that I can lose all the fat I need to (as well as get one helluva cardio workout) from workouts like Meltdown or German Body Comp. The LBM sparing/building effects are much greater and it seems a more efficient use of my time. After leaving the military a few months ago I swore I would NEVER do traditional cardio again. HIIT maybe, but that's it.

I agree with Kingprotein on this one... Cardio does have its uses... some people enjoy the traditional forms of cardio while others perfer more advanced exciting
forms of cardio. I personally detest cardio and very rarely do it. Still, I have to eat 5000 calories a day just to break even :slightly_smiling: Having a high metabolism is
useful sometimes...

Just wondering what kind of protocols the HIIT proponents here do?

I like a variety of cardio. Currently I'm doing the 400-meter protocol from Running Man. Up to five 400's this week.

Jumping rope is good...difficult, but good.

Lately I've been incorporating various GPP work and it's a nice change of pace. I bought a contractor's wheelbarrow two weeks ago with a bunch of sandbags as well as a sledgehammer and got an old tire as well. Talk about a workout!

After trying out all of the above, there's no way in the world I could go back to boring old steady-state walking/jogging.

i think most of us prob dont do as much cardio as we should, for health reasons.
i started up again this week as summer is around the corner and i have hit most of my weight gain/strength gain goals for the year. plus the spring and its pollens affect my asthma pretty bad and i find running etc imporves my asthma dramatically

It seems more folks want to talk about sports bras, or cars then do cardio.

If you can't play all day why play at all.

There is a difference between looking good and being good.

I do agree that Marathon runners are not the desired body type, but Look at competitive swimmers or rowers.

Here's a slightly different perspective.

One of the reasons that I like to train is because it makes me better equipped to deal with the challenges of my daily life. whether that means getting a twenty-pound tub of something off of a high shelf, moving a friend's couch up the stairs, pushing someone's car out of a ditch, or whatever it is.

Doing LSD (Long Slow Distance--what did you think I was talking about?) cardio doesn't really help that much. How often do I have to get up and run six miles? If I'm in the army, sure, it makes sense. But I'm not. It's much more likely that I'm going to have to sprint to catch a bus or carry kegs up a flight of stairs or help someone move. Activities that are aerobic, but not in the way running is.

Here's another experiment to try. Swim laps for distance, then run for six weeks. No weight training, no swimming. Now swim again. Could you go any faster or farther? No. So how is this useful, all-around training?

Try the same thing with a well-designed weight training program--no running, no swimming--and I bet you'll be able to swim farther. The point is that running isn't specific to very much except running, whereas strength is a prerequisite to everything, including running.

So yeah, I'll do some GPP work and HIIT. But LSD? Not any more.

Dan "Kettlebells" McVicker

I don't really hate cardio, I just tend to hate the kind that our rugby coach has us do...that and the fact that I lose 5-10 lbs each season depending on how many injuries I rack up :frowning:

But for the most part I enjoy HIIT, I've always tried to do at least 2 days of it offseason when I am bulking up, plus I used to run 200m/400m (god knows what I was thinking!!)

But I can honestly say, anything more than 3 miles is evil, unnatural, and a complete desecration of my view of life :slight_smile:

I'm not a fan of running on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike, but I do believe in the benefits of cardio. I choose to play basketball when I do cardio.
I'd agree with what most people have said so far: it's not that we hate cardio, it's just that in the pursuit of size, cardio takes a backseat. When it's time to lean out, then our cardio production increases.

My opinion is that "cardio" is probably not necessary for health, but rather that the various forms of "cardio" exercise simply improve a specific type of fitness...... running makes you a more efficient runner, swimming makes you a more efficient swimmer, etc. just like weight training makes you stronger. Fitness is activity-specific; there is no such thing as "general" or "all-around" fitness.

The sound of my thighs scraping together hurts my ears, thats why