T Nation

Why do we do this???

After reading the “What made everyone get into bodybuilding/weightlifting” post by Mighty Dog and “The Big Woof” by Dave Tate it got me to thinking. Now that we have all been lifting for some time, what keeps us all doing it. Is it for the same reasons as when we started? I started to gain a few pounds, and 9 years later I want to be big as a house. I actually think the fire burns in me to grow more with each passing week, month and year. I never intended to compete in any comps, either bodybuilding or powerlifting, but the older I get the more I want to do a bodybuilding show (since my bench sucks anyway, LOL). What about everyone else? What keeps you going? And is that the same reason you started? Just curious…

I posted this to the off topic board. Dont know why its here. So flame away…

Football in highschool got me started. The way i look and how others wan’t to look just like me keep me going. It’s almost like an addiction now. If i miss a day at the gym i feel small, it is wierd. But i like my body looking bigger and better than everyone elses, it makes us big guys who are in shape stand out from the fatter people and the really skinny people. Plus with me being a teen it serves as an intimidation factor for the kids who think they are bad asses. They wont fuck with a kid who wieghs 205 when they are topping the scales at 160. So there it is.

In the beginning, after watching Rachel McLish win the 1982 Pro Womens World Championship, I decided I had found the sport I wanted to compete in. Partly due to my artistic nature, I thought it’d be cool to resemble a sculpture and due to my “comic book” geekiness, it’d be another plus to look like a comic book superheroine (small waistline, wide shoulders, etc).

NOW, it's still those reasons, but I need to stay active. Keeps my asthma in check. Y'know, preventive health care. Also, I dig knowin' about this stuff. Training, how it effects my bod, and the nutrition knowledge. Knowledge is power. Improving on the quality of life, too. That's a big plus.

As for competition - it's a good way to gauge yourself in how you have trained, dieted, etc. To know how well you can manipulate your body into contest shape. It's a constant learning process. It never, ever ends. NONE of it (competitive or non).

Because it’s fun to be big & strong.

I started doing this hoping to get as big as a house within the first year and here I am 12 years later still trying to get as big as a house :slight_smile: So, while I didn’t gain the “monster” look (and maybe I never will) I know for a fact that the minute I give up training is the minute I lose my identity. Bodybuilding is such an integral part of me that not training is almost like not living. So, why do I do it? Because I will be someone else if I don’t. And I kinda like who I am.

Besides, taking a few weeks off made me feel like total shit. I can’t imagine not training. Can’t do it.

/TinyWulf

I’ve been at it for 12 years and even though I didn’t get as big as a house

I really really really FUCKING HATE LOSING!!! Ive never been much of a natural athlete, but damn Im killing people now, why?, nobody can outwork me. Then I win. And that i like.

I got into bodybuilding because a couple yearss of beer and hot wings every night had taken its toll on me, and my little brother was lifting a lot and in damn good shape. Now a couple years later, in the best shape of my life, and after entering two competitions, I’m almost as dissatisfied with myself as I was to start with. If only I was a little leaner, with bigger lats, and bigger arms… You get the idea. What keeps me going? The desire to be better, walking into a public place and having people stare, and more than anything, eing able to go to bars and nightclubs, have a good time, and not have some drunken moron try to pick a fight with me. A word of caution, as you first start to get bigger, it gets worse, until you get big enough that nobody wants to mess with you. Train like there’s no tommorrow all…

People think that a mind is a terrible thing to waste(I agree), but what good is a strong mind without a strong body? Plus chicks dig it :wink:

I first started to lift weights because i had a realization while playing basketball at the park. I usually have to guard the center or power foward because i am somewhat tall (6’2’’ but i was weak and skinny). I had a hard time “fronting the post,” and getting position because these guys were a lot older/stronger/bigger. I came to realize that if I was stronger than them,i would be able to guard anyone no matter how big they were. so i started to do legpresses and other basic newbie movements. A few months pasted and I could definitly see some results (in the miror and on the court). I loved it. Then i started buy muscle magazines and reading them from cover to cover. I also loved the pictures of the huuuge guys and thought that i could be that big if i ate enough and lifited hard enough. I still think i can, but i want to do it without steriods, with the help Biotest products.

What keeps me going (In no particular order):
Having access to all of the information on this site
Reading new information about bodybuilding
Seeing pictures of the old-school bodybuilders
Reading atomic dogs
Knowing that I am bigger and stronger than everyone else around
Knowing that I am not bigger and stronger than everyone else around
Knowing that I am pushing myself harder than Ive ever pushed myself each and every work out
Knowing that I can achieve my physique goals
Knowing what it is going to take to achive these goals
Working to achieve my goals
Achieveing the goals
The individuality of the sport (if you fail you only have yourself to blame)
Leg days
Having girs say “WOW! Nice…”
The ripped look
The pump
Living the bodybuilding lifestyle (knowledge, nutrition, and weights)
My dad saying that i “dont have the frame to put on much muscle”
Him also saying “what have you actually stuck with?” I tell him i have devoted the last year to it and will have that same devotion for the rest of my life “We’ll see,” he says. Damn right we’ll see.
Moving more and more weight
This forum
Never wanting to be out of shape.
The transformation from being skinny and weak to being strong and big to being stronger and bigger to being…
Being able to guard and dominate the post and getting up and down the court everytime
Being able to dunk
The dream of dunking on someone
The confidence
The mentality
The passion
The quote “We do what we do because this is what we do. Our passion has built our character, and our character defines us. Never lose your passion.”

I also want to compete in, and win a bodybuilding contest sometime in my life.

Over 20 years ago, I started lifting for football. I learned to love the personal challenge, the discipline and the direct results of intelligent effort. My body is one thing I have control over. I enjoy learning about the human body and what it, specifically mine, can accomplish and endure. I thrill in the advances that nutrition and science has made over the recent past. I enjoy the challenge of discerning what works best for me, and knowing it is ever changing as I age and as new knowledge is accumulated and personally tested. I learned I had a bowel disease (Crohns) over 10 years ago. Instead of settling for lifelong drug therapy and surgery, I applied myself, and with God’s help, I have it under control through nutrition and exercise. I will never win a bodybuilding contest. But people do admire my dedication and are impressed with my level of fitness. But I don’t do it for them. I do it for me. It is a healthy passion that once was likely an obsession. I’m sure many who know me might say that it still is. They do not understand, and I don’t expect them to. Two co-workers were bragging about their sprinting speed a while back. I was NEVER a sprinter with speed, but I had incorporated sprints with my conditioning. Long story short, I beat them both in a 40- and 100-yard sprint. They are 8 and 10 years my junior. The fact that you are in shape as you get older seperates you from the crowd. If you are in excellent shape (lean, muscular and fit), you are in the extreme minority of your peers. I belong to that group and I like it. I am enjoying the benefits of perseverence and all of the added benefits of an ongoing lifetime of lifting and fitness. I am comfortable in my clothes and in my body. I like who I am becoming, and my fitness efforts are an important part of that person.

I started lifting when I was 13 in preparation for high school football and baseball. I’m 25 now and I’ve never stopped and don’t intend on stopping. It’s a part of me; almost more mentally than physically. It’s like a fuckin’ drug. I feel tired and worn out if I can’t go lift. Going on business trips suck because you never know what kind of gym, if any, your hotel will have. Also, it kind of fills that competitive desire that used to be filled with highschool sports and pickup games with your friends after school and during the summer. It also helps me to mentally regroup and ready myself for the challenges of my job and new family. My reasons are quite different know as compared to 12 years ago.