Why Do We Crave Crap?

Why do we crave shit?

Why does our body not crave vegetables and fish?

Why does it crave beer and chocolate?

Why??

Because you are weak.

I’m sure someone will come up with the real answer later, I just wanted to get this out while I still could.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Because you are weak.

I’m sure someone will come up with the real answer later, I just wanted to get this out while I still could.[/quote]

That was the quickest response ever.

You don’t like beer and chocolate?

The body will crave things because it is lacking something. What you crave has what the body needs. It could simply be a need for carbs to increase energy output. Cravings will usually go away with a proper eating plan. After that it’s because you’re weak and it’s not a craving, just a simple desire.

I was always under the assumption we want calorie dense foods because the more calories you eat, the more likely you are to survive if food becomes scarce.

This tastes awesome, by the way.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
This tastes awesome, by the way.[/quote]

Fuck yeah.

But you you others have missed the point.

I’m not weak. I can control my cravings the same as you.

You have the same cravings.

I asked why the body desires these things?

Shouln’t my body adapt and figure out that it gets ample nutrients every 3 hours and stop wanting chocolate?

I wonder why the system we call our body wants to stack on fat for later hard times when infact my western body has never really had a hard time getting lots of calories and the only thing it does is store fat which is counter-productive to sexual reproduction?

[quote]streamline wrote:
The body will crave things because it is lacking something. What you crave has what the body needs. It could simply be a need for carbs to increase energy output. Cravings will usually go away with a proper eating plan. After that it’s because you’re weak and it’s not a craving, just a simple desire.[/quote]

Ah, OK then.

Why do I desire chocolate even though I eat fruit, vegetables, lots of good fats and protein?

I desire boobies and such because reproduction propogates my genetic traits.

But why chocolate and beer? What does this achieve?

I am not debating the rightness or wrongness of such desires.

We can all agree they exist - but why do they exist?

The body wants as many calories as possible because your body is still the same as it was 10,000 years ago. Our lifestyle has changed too quickly for evolution to “catch up.”

I mean, strip it down an all we’re supposed to do is eat and fuck.

Eating as much as possible during times it was available allowed us to survive as a species and our body isn’t going to abandon a winning strategy.

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to dog you personally, I just thought I’d be a smartass.

I vote that it’s more because the body doesn’t know any better. You can break yourself of cravings… maybe… if you do the V-diet.

I gotta admit though- I used to have difficulty walking down the candy aisle in food stores. Now- no cravings. Just up and went away. I mean, I ENJOY chocolate… and I like liquor too (Beer is not my flavor, although I haven’t tried chocolate stout), but there’s not an ounce of me that protests when I say ‘fuck that’. The v-diet is apparently not the only way to change your food tastes.

And yeah, I’ve spent WAY too much time on T-Nation today.

I do not crave shit. I mostly crave fresh meat (especially fatty meat and fish) and vegetables…I believe it’s all about what food your parents gave you when you were a child. Fortunately my folks don’t eat junk food and seldom eat sweety things, so I didn’t associate shitty food with reward…

[quote]Franck wrote:
I do not crave shit. I mostly crave fresh meat (especially fatty meat and fish) and vegetables…I believe it’s all about what food your parents gave you when you were a child. Fortunately my folks don’t eat junk food and seldom eat sweety things, so I didn’t associate shitty food with reward…[/quote]

Intersting, but do you still like beer and chocolate?

Maybe I should not have used the word crave.

Should the body not desire only that which is good for it?

It all depends what you are like, a few weeks ago i gave up all junk food, cordial juice pasta (which i fucking love) and havnt touched it or thought about it since.

My old man gave up smokeing the same way

It may be a form of addiction. Sugar may alter brain neurochemistry to a point where it develops a level dependency. Feel good substances or situations cause the body to react and gravitate towards them.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20030124-000002.xml

[quote]Spry wrote:
Franck wrote:
I do not crave shit. I mostly crave fresh meat (especially fatty meat and fish) and vegetables…I believe it’s all about what food your parents gave you when you were a child. Fortunately my folks don’t eat junk food and seldom eat sweety things, so I didn’t associate shitty food with reward…

Intersting, but do you still like beer and chocolate?

Maybe I should not have used the word crave.

Should the body not desire only that which is good for it?

[/quote]

I don’t like alcohol and candy but I do crave italian/french style delicatessen like those raw hams, sausages…sure pretty high in sodium but I don’t think it’s that bad…

In a perfect world the body should desire what is good for it but that so called “wisdom of the body” is often pretty fucked up in most individuals like those kids being raised with junk food…

A lot of people have cravings, yet I know some people who don’t crave anything sweet yet they grew up eating very healthy their whole lives so sweet stuff tastes like shit to them.

Its not that big of a deal as long as you have restraint go ahead and have a SMALL cheat snack its not going to kill you and will make you happy.

[quote]Spry wrote:
Why do we crave shit?

Why does our body not crave vegetables and fish?

Why does it crave beer and chocolate?

Why?
[/quote]

Research has shown that humans have an inborn natural “instinct” to really enjoy salt and sugar. Its a survival thing. Rare in the wild, eat alot to last; but easy to get in modern world.

Now that doesnt mean its so strong that it controls things. Also, if youre just attracted to shit food then maybe some discipline and self-control is in order. Cheers.

Nothing tastes as good as being in the best shape of your life!

[quote]navag8ter wrote:
Nothing tastes as good as being in the best shape of your life![/quote]

Truth

[quote]Otep wrote:
Because you are weak.

I’m sure someone will come up with the real answer later, I just wanted to get this out while I still could.[/quote]

Cravings do not make someone weak, its giving into those cravings that makes one weak.

I recently started dieting (have lost 31lbs in a little over 2 months). The first two weeks were the worst because I would crave carbohydrates, especially simple carbs. After those two weeks my cravings dramatically decreased. I remember reading quite a while ago that carbohydrates are addicting and can be compared to opium addiction.

Sugar makes your brain release beta endorphin which is addicting and helps to deal with stress. Your body cant really tell a difference between mental stress (work, school, relationships) and physical stress (dieting, cardio, weights).

This stress makes your body crave sugar to release beta endorphin and make you feel good. You could also take some opium to kill those cravings (dont do it).